2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a 600km trip I got a bit annoyed of a perturbant squeak from the dashboard so I smashed the part above the rev counter in a Bud Spencer manner and that helped for a short while. After localising the squeak source I found a way to stop it while driving but its not very practical.
The two plastic parts are rubbing against each other and that produces a fairly high pitch squeak. I guess sticking some insulation stuff inbetween could help.

The noise depends on road surface quality and seems to have something to do with heating and temperature differences.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Had same thing,
I removed the complete meter unit (goes rather easy)
Then check if the "filt" seal is positioned properly, apply some silicone grease to the clips and reinstall the unit. (you could also ask the dealer, but I prefer doing things myself and take my time to do it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same noise problem.

With the method you explained, did you solve the noise problem???
Well, my method does work but I need my hand for switching gears so it's no good. Stefs method seems to be the solution. It would be nice if Stef could post some pictures showing the panel remowal procedure.
I also read on two czech civic forums that the squeak comes from the clear plexi rubbing against the plastic arch above.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Dear Stef,

Do you have any manual or directions/How-to of removing that meter unit you have described?

Regards
Put some protective tape arround the dash (for scratch protection)
Lower the steering column (using the lever)
Remove the small part behind (take care of the airco sensor if you have one) it comes loos easy (it is sometimes a reason for a rattle).
Remove two screws.
Then pull the instrument panel towards you (check the clips) loosen the connectors.
(Caution LHD /RHD can make some difference in the drawings)

Attachments

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
has anyone else got experience doing this? Am considering resorting to it as I can't think of a time when I can get my car into a dealer and the intermittent squeak / rattle does my head in when it comes.

Ideally I'd like a bit more detail on the process, photos would be excellent! Am slightly weary about taking the whole thing apart but if it re-occurs again then I may be forced to take action!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts