2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hiya,

Thanks for the message, a bit of a surprise after all these months!

I've just had a look at the paperwork I got back from the 100K/ 8year service.
The reference to the dashboard is "Send dashboard away for repair REF CH." So none the wiser, sorry.

It's worked fine since that happened, and I do still have the car. It is booked in for its 11 year servce next month, mileage coming up to 96K, still works very well and reliably.

Regards,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same issue here, looking to do it myself, just need to know how to get to it without breaking anything. Does anyone know if this is a MOT failure if the dash lights are out?

Dan

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No, sorry. Mine's still fine. It's maybe best to fork out and let the Honda dealer send it to wherever. You can see above how much it cost me, a few months ago now of course, which gives you a "haggling point!"

Sorry not to be of further help, but have a look at this:

The first sentence under the graphics gives you the MOT answer.
Good luck,
Cheers,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

I took my cluster instrument pannel out tried to solder the joints on the dimmer but it made no difference. My question now is if I buy a second-hand cluster pannel with the same details on the sticker will it work without any re coding or as such?

Thanks, Dan

·
i-Vtec
4,555 Posts
Hi

I took my cluster instrument pannel out tried to solder the joints on the dimmer but it made no difference. My question now is if I buy a second-hand cluster pannel with the same details on the sticker will it work without any re coding or as such?

Thanks, Dan
Straight swap, no coding required. Half of mine are out, think its just a poor bulb design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey up Dan. My daughter's car has the same faulty dimmer. So I'm guessing correctly that a used cluster off eBay or a breakers will just plug in and work? Will the mileage transfer or will you have the mileage of the cluster you bought?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Cluster will just plug in but the mileage is stored in the cluster so will need to be reprogrammed by a Honda dealer to keep the original mileage of the car, ask the seller for the mileage before you buy, might be able to get one with mileage just over yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

I asked the ebay lister that I brought mine from, in fact two ebayer, plus on here and yes it is the case that as long as the sticker information matches your one then you just plug it in. The millage is stored in the ECU so the dash itself dont hold the that info.

The hardest part was unplugging the 3 wire harnesses as the wires especially the ignition button set of wires gave me a 2" gap to get my fingers in, and then for the life of me I could not find the release tabs but now I know they are under each of the plugs. The rest came out with ease, its a 20min job, but when I fit mine hopefully today I will video it.

Now the thing is Im wondering if it is a dodgy dimmer as when I was driving yesterday the dash stayed on all day, and when I pushed the dimmer in and out it didn't do what it was doing for months, causing the dash lights to go out. Then it started again but seems only from a fresh start up at its worse. Looking more closely I could see a faint pulsating of light Doing some further research it may, in fact, be the Alternator, or Alternator Regulator. It could be that the dash is not getting enough power, I hope not. I will let you know when I fit it.

Da

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cluster will just plug in but the mileage is stored in the cluster so will need to be reprogrammed by a Honda dealer to keep the original mileage of the car, ask the seller for the mileage before you buy, might be able to get one with mileage just over yours.
This is not what iv been told but both ebay sellers and the poster @Das in this thread. Iv been told as long as the clusters match it should just plug in and take the millage from the ecu or whatever holds this info. To put a new cluster on with the wrong millage would also be illegal. I will find out hopefully later on today. If it did need programming then that would be a huge cost Im thinking by Honda.

Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK. So which is it? As one is obviously wrong.:unsure:
Im just a driver that is trying to repair his car that is prepared to do it myself so Im at the mercy of others who know better than me. I rang Honda and they said it does need to be programmed but they cant do it as its a 2007 model and is most likely too old. This puts up some questions if this is the case regarding legality? If people are selling these clusters second hand and are being put in cars then whats the law on selling a car or driving a car with the wrong millage, and would simply taking note of the millage before it was done be good enough being its within range of the last MOT?

Update: Honda directed me to BBAReman.com. They repair clusters and Honda ones are £153 inc collecting and return postage. If you don't get it repaired its £35 to test it plus postage cost.

Dan

·
i-Vtec
4,555 Posts
I just realised that the dimmer knob is attached to the cluster, I do remember looking at it and thinking it was way above my abilities to swap it over. I forgot it wasn't a simple switch. Disregard my last post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Update: Got a second hand dash, and put it it and can confirm it comes with its own millage. Now did it fix my issue? No. The issue remains still. I have more details on this so will make my own post as I know now its not the dimmer.

Dan

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Is it not possible to just desolder and fit a new dimmer switch assembly? Take it to an electronics repair shop if you're unsure of how to do it yourself?

Surely is a bit of a faff swapping clusters when it can be repaired

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it not possible to just desolder and fit a new dimmer switch assembly? Take it to an electronics repair shop if you're unsure of how to do it yourself?

Surely is a bit of a faff swapping clusters when it can be repaired
For me its the case of first making sure the issue is the cluster even although it points to it being the dimmer. As it so happens either my second hand cluster one has the same issue or its something else?

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem in my wife's 2010 Civic. Dimmer light is not consistent and switches on and off itself randomly. I ran the diagnostics and the code "ERROR 2" appeared in the centre of the dashboard. Does anyone know what does it mean?
We have just bought the car and warranty recently so will be ringing them today. The only thing I don't like about it is they will probably take the car in for a week or so ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I should try to run diagnostic myself see what comes up. When you push the dimmer knob in and back out does this effect the dashboard lights coming on and off?

Dan

21 - 40 of 56 Posts