2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just ran the diagnostic test and no error showed. I could do the test with the dash lights on or off. Just to add when the dash lights go out not all of them go out, The leds behind the dials go out, lights indicator including full beam, but all other lights such as the engine selt check lights always are on.

Note: The dimmer has 2 modes with and without lights on.
I just needed to set the dimmer for lights on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, pressing the dimmer switch does affect the back light. It works exactly the same as in one of your videos. Handbrake, seatbelt, lights signs are all working. I will try to run the diagnostics again at some point and record it so will throw it in here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, pressing the dimmer switch does affect the back light. It works exactly the same as in one of your videos. Handbrake, seatbelt, lights signs are all working. I will try to run the diagnostics again at some point and record it so will throw it in here.
Thanks that you be handy. When you say diagnostic do you mean the self test one or a Scanner? I did a self test and was expecting to see something at the end of it but nothing. Next time I started my car however I had a warning saying Check System with the light staying on top left. After I got home I noticed my from right headlamp had gone out, the dash was not playing up. I switched the headlights off and back on the headlights both came on. I started it a few more times and the system warning went?

Im thinking of getting a Autel AP200 scanner. Please do let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran self diagnostic. It's the method with pressing and holding the "SEL/RES" button on the steering wheel. In the center of the dashboard (where you got your mpg shown) the code appeared. I will also try to connect my bluetooth obd scanner and see what comes up. I have also contacted the car shop where we bought the car and they arranged the garage visit on Friday so it can be fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great, let me know what you find, any codes. I did a bit of research and found ERROR2 was related to B Cam, have a look here. Warnings - Error 2 on Self Diagnosis Test
Not knowing anything about these things I put this into Youtube, and a guy had issues with his dash and his error turned out to be the ABS Module. May not be related to ours but interesting as Iv had a ABS VSA warning light for a while and had the dash light go out during this time. Got the wheel speed sensor replaced so ABS VSA warning light went right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I haven't had a chance to plug the obd scanner but we dropped the car to the garage where the car shop arranged the visit for us. They have had our honda for few hours and rang me saying it needs a new cluster fitted so we can come to pick up the car and they will book us in once the part's arrived. When we actually came they said the car shop requires a second opinion as the cost of the new cluster is £1250+labour+courtesy car. The car shop will be trying to cut the cost down by trying to get an used cluster fitted I guess but the guy in the garage said it's not an easy job to fit the used cluster as it will have to be programmed as the mileage is stored in it. He also mentioned that when they disassembled it the whole thing worked like a disco/strobe light. In the end we got a 69 plate skoda courtesy car and waiting for the further information. I guess these guys who sold us the car with that fault are not happy now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Than
Hi. I haven't had a chance to plug the obd scanner but we dropped the car to the garage where the car shop arranged the visit for us. They have had our honda for few hours and rang me saying it needs a new cluster fitted so we can come to pick up the car and they will book us in once the part's arrived. When we actually came they said the car shop requires a second opinion as the cost of the new cluster is £1250+labour+courtesy car. The car shop will be trying to cut the cost down by trying to get an used cluster fitted I guess but the guy in the garage said it's not an easy job to fit the used cluster as it will have to programmed as the mileage is stored in it. He also mentioned that when they disassembled it the whole thing worked like a disco/strobe light. In the end we got a 69 plate skoda courtesy car and waiting for the further information. I guess these guys who sold us the car with that fault are not happy now?
thanks for updating me on this. Its not a hard job on my 2007 model, Iv had that cluster of mine in and out a few times now, takes about 10min to take old one out and plug new one in. Honda told me that for me they cant re program cluster as its too old but they gave me the website of people they use who repair clusters for £156 inc pick up and postage. You keep your old millage. Il get the website. A cluster for my car not sure yours second hand is about £25 to £50

These people are what my local Honda place use themself. Home (GB) | BBA Reman

Now for me at least the issue was not the cluster, same issue on second hand one. And after driving for a while it tends to stay on for longer, as if heat is helping it?

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, thank you for the info. Tbh if they are going to get a new one futted I'm not gonna moan about it ? the most important thing is to have it fixed so I will wait until they come back to me. And if I didnt make myself clear the car shop will have to cover the costs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay, thank you for the info. Tbh if they are going to get a new one futted I'm not gonna moan about it ? the most important thing is to have it fixed so I will wait until they come back to me. And if I didnt make myself clear the car shop will have to cover the costs.
Yea if they cover costs new is always better. I hope it fixes it for you, let me know.

Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
any news on this fix?

My rpm cluster does the same..

My friend who is a ECU/Dash/Cluster technicion says its a "Potentiometer" problem. he says its a 75€-100€ fix.

Anyway I found this post

From a guy that also has the same problem, that was also fixed by a tecnichian, I asked him what was the problem.

Lets wait for an answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
any news on this fix?

My rpm cluster does the same..

My friend who is a ECU/Dash/Cluster technicion says its a "Potentiometer" problem. he says its a 75€-100€ fix.

Anyway I found this post

From a guy that also has the same problem, that was also fixed by a tecnichian, I asked him what was the problem.

Lets wait for an answer.
Thanks for replying to all related threads. If it is the Potentiometer then id like to know what one to get as this is a faily easy fix. Iv already completely desoldered my Potentiometer, opened it up to check contacts inside and there was no issues seen in there, I even bent the ring contacts a little for a tighter connection. This made no difference. I tried this on a spare cluster not my one. The only issue I had putting it back was the needles didnt go back on in the correct positions. When you turn the car on the needles self adjust and did so putting them totaly wrong place. I moved them 3 times and still in wrong place. If I could know what Potentiometer I will get it and try it. Iv already recorded on video me taking the whole cluster to bits including removing the Potentiometer. I could share this video If I find the Potentiometer was at fault by replacing it.

I have noticed that the cluster lights do stay one once Im driving for a while. At that point I can push and twist th Potentiometer as much as I like and the lights dont go out. I came to the conclusion it may be either the heat of the inner car has warmed up, but its very odd. On the MOT side of things I got a Advisory to get it fixed.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its not the dimmer its an transistor you need to solder take out mine today, the solder was bad in resolder it ant workes good see image,
Sorry for bad english
You wil need to disarm the whole cluster, the needles are a pain in the ass😂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have this issue on my 2011 Civic 1.4 since almost 2 years, and Honda dealers have never been able to help me. This is the first time that I find people having the same issue as me :D

I will have a look to your solutions, but I can ensure that's it's a bad contact / soldering issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have this issue on my 2011 Civic 1.4 since almost 2 years, and Honda dealers have never been able to help me. This is the first time that I find people having the same issue as me :D

I will have a look to your solutions, but I can ensure that's it's a bad contact / soldering issue.
Am having the same issue for about 1 week now. I am considering to remove the dashboard and dissemble the odometer and try to solder it soon and see what happen. In the end if it does not work for me i will fix an led strip light inside the odometer and connect it with the main engine electricity so when i turn on the engine the light will have to turn on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally solved the issue by giving my cluster to a shop specialized in automotive electronics repairs, they controlled all the connections and resoldered the 3-pin components shown above.
Now my Civic is back to 100% functional !

41 - 56 of 56 Posts