2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some month my baby keeps a weird queak noise from the dashboard plastic and/or rubber parts when driving on slightly bumpy roads .
I've visted my dealer with this problem four times now in a short period without any improvements. Yesterday they installed a whole new dashboard which they had earlier ordered from the UK factory. When I got my car back they told me that the queak noise is still there. I also noticed it, nothing was improved, exactly the same noise as before :(

My dealer admitted to me earlier that this is a problem that they simply don't know how to fix and that they have been in contact with the local Honda importer about it. The importer will come and collect the changed dashboard parts and send them to the factory laboratory for investigation. In the meanwhile I'm just trying my best not to get really pissed off while waiting for this to get fixed some day [smilie=shake.gif]

Just wondering now if you fellow Civic pilots might have some experience of this problem, cause right now the situation is kind of desperate when not even the factory can yet help the dealer here to fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Uffe, as the body flexes sometimes the windscreen bond can make a noise (the windscreen flexes, but not as much). Can a passenger reduce the noise by pressing on the windscreen near the edge?

A good way to find where a squeak is coming from is to use a tube poked in one ear - might be worth a go!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Pottsy,

well actually I mentioned yday to my dealer about the possibility of windscreen bond causing the noise, they told me that would just cause some sharp glass cracking type noise, thay had experience of it from the earlier Civic (2005) model... this noise sounds more like coming from rubber/plastic parts.
Haven't yet tried having any passanger pressing the windscreen near the edges, could be worth a try to localize the cause of it. Somehow it's difficult for me to imagine the cause would be the windscreen bond, and not the dashboard. But on the other hand, the change of dashboard yday didn't help... weird (sorry). Thanks Pottsy!

Uffe

·
Registered
31 Posts
hello m8..i to have had a few squeaks, in my civic since april. the dealer has been good atsorting the one, which was the rear of the glove box.....not syre if thats been checked on yours..???? but strangely, i`ve developed another, it seems like its coming from the front internal light unit.....???? i`ve had the casing off the unit while the cars in motion, and been pushing and proding, to see if the noise alters in anyway.....but no good.....its still there :-( Could you have the same problem as myself ???
Its due for its first 12.500 ml service in a couple of weeks, and i shall be bringing this issue up with the dealer. I`ll let you know what the out come is, if you haven`t got it sorted by then. If you do get it sussed, let me know your outcome. It maybe the same problem, or not. Still worth knowing either way. .Enjoy. .shiftswiftly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hiya shiftswiftly, thanks a lot! actually I don't know if my dealer has checked the rear end of the glove box, could be worth to check but on the other hand I think that noise would sound more distant, like coming from deep inside underneath the dashboard, the noise that my baby has are close, sharp and loud squeaks from every slight bump in the road.
But of course, these types of squeaks inside car tend to be tricky to localize excatly where they come from.
Not sure what you mean with the "front internal light unit", you mean the front map light in the roof?
So far I've enjoyed 10.000 km in my Civic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is probably totally wrong (which has never stopped me in the past ;) ), but I can't help wondering if temperature differences/changes have something to do with this. I'd imagine it's pretty cold where you live (though I don't suppose it always is?) and obviously large temperature differences will cause expansion/contraction issues with different materials (metals and plastics will expand/contract at different rates, as will different plastics) as temperature changes. This might have an impact if the outside temperature is significantly different to the internal temperature.

Now I haven't taken delivery of my Civic yet, and I'm not sure if this is a common problem in other climates, but perhaps the amount of plastic in the dash, of different types, presumably held together with various clips and screws, is somehow to blame, combined with the big contrasts in temperature etc. that you may be experiencing in Finland. I doubt it was tested extensively in cold weather (despite the photo in the brochure).

UK owners won't have been through a winter yet in their Civic06's either, so perhaps this is something to look forward to.

Of course, as I suggested above, I'm probably totally wrong...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no Soprendo, actually I've also thought about that possibility, in fact it's not that cold here currently with temps around 16 C during the day, but it has been a extremely warm and dry summer here which has recently passed, that could have something to do with it, making especially rubber parts dry more than usually and change their character, I'm not sure, just a thought. But still the problem remains and how to fix it.
Right now I'm planning to visit my dealer and discuss Pottsy's suggestion, it could be in the front windscreen bond that causes the squeak, it's worth a try. Could also be the rear of the glove box, as shiftswiftly suggested.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Aaagghh! Starting to lose patience with this f**king car. My dashboard is now making a noise, every time you corner and the body rolls, or when the front wheels hit a bump (not the rear wheels) there is a noise that soinds like the noise plastic guttering makes when the sun comes out on a cloudy day and it starts to expand and rub against the brackets and joins. Even with the CD volume on 25 I can still hear it. I hate rattles I think I let them get in my head, this is gonna kill me.

A call to Mr Johnson and his Hondas in Oxford tomorrow, they've been great so far with the other warranty/complaints I have had.

Bo**ocks, just when you think the car is finally getting sorted out, not that it should have needed remedial work, for christ sake its only got 7500 miles on the flaming clock, piece of junk.**

** Richierich is mighty pissed off at present. Especially if as it seems it is a problem without a known cure. How many times do they get to fix the same problem before you can ask for another?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
richierich, sounds like you've been hitted by the same bug as my baby, I can just relate, it's indeed frustrating [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

Anyway, I'm pretty confident Honda will sort this out quickly when even more Civic pilots start to shout about this problem! It's just a question of who finds the cure first, Honda or the dealers. Somehow I have the feeling that Honda will not find it first. Hope we'll all survive soon so we can continue enjoying our Civics!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Honda? They won't even bother to look.

The better dealers will try quite hard to cure rattles/squeaks, despite the reputation dealers as a whole have, but the manufacturer will not worry - They have sold the car, and unless there is a possibility of any problem being widespread, they won't lift a finger.

At present (its just been announced today) Swindon are taking on 500 more staff to cope with demand for the Civic. With a handsome margin on every car sold, a squeak won't worry them!

I have generally found Honda dealers to be a pretty helpful lot (I have used 3 dealers, only changing as the franchise has moved), and I think Honda as a company probably choose their dealers quite carefully.

Squeaks/rattles are often due to tolerancing and build quality issues, and its left to the dealer to sort these out.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
This might have an impact if the outside temperature is significantly different to the internal temperature.

UK owners won't have been through a winter yet in their Civic06's either, so perhaps this is something to look forward to.

Of course, as I suggested above, I'm probably totally wrong...
As Uffe said it isn't that cold yet. 15-20 centigrade during the day and around 10 degrees at night. I believe you guys would have suffered from these issues during your heat waves this summer. Maybe it is the cold temperatures that affect our cars' parts more but that remains to be seen. We'll report back as temperatures hit -20 C in January or February. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an almost constant rustling/fluttering noise from the dash when going over less than perfectly smooth roads. Sounds a bit like a bundle of wires vibrating against stuff. Gets worse when going faster and the constant (quietish but noticable) noise drives me mad on motorway.

Dealer is useless, and messes something else up when trying to fix it http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408 I wonder, do you think trying to fix our dashboard noise woes ourselves is mad? Has anyone had major parts of the dash off?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, as I wrote in my first post, my dealer changed earlier this week the dashboard parts with brand new ones that they had got from the factory, it didn't help at all :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just trying to figure out whether we have the same sounds or not. Not sure what a queak is. Is it a bit like a squeak? Mine sounds predominantly like wires vibrating against a surface, which gets louder with worse imprefections in the road or higher speed. Other words might be fluttering noise.

Unfortunately I dont think there is an ieee standard in noise descriptions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pardon me for the typo "queak" :D it stands for squeak
richierich described yday well the noise type, it sounds exacly like that in my car.
Not sure though if we're talking about same kind of noise.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Just trying to figure out whether we have the same sounds or not. Not sure what a queak is. Is it a bit like a squeak? Mine sounds predominantly like wires vibrating against a surface, which gets louder with worse imprefections in the road or higher speed. Other words might be fluttering noise.

Unfortunately I dont think there is an ieee standard in noise descriptions.

Used to have a similar noise on one of my previous cars when dry leaves got into the heater system air ducts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I'm new on the forum and have been looking for a while to find a Civic forum to see if other Civic owners are seeing some of the problems I have been getting recently. I took delivery of my new 1.8 Civic ES on January 5th and apart from the clutch slipping on the very first day (which was quickly fixed and I was given a voucher for a free first service for my inconvenience) I have had few problems until quite recently. For about a month now I have been plagued with the dreaded dashboard squeak and have tried just about everything I can think of to cure it but to no avail. I have read some of the posts on this problem and it would seem that my Civic is suffering much the same as quite a few of you out there. I will be ringing Amethyst tomorrow morning to see if I can get this problem resolved as it is driving me nuts! I will post again and let the forum know the outcome and whether the dealer has been successful in getting rid of the squeak or not!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
1 - 20 of 286 Posts