2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not long picked up my new 1.6 civic and was wondering if there was any way of turning these horrible daytime running lights off.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,263 Posts
:lol:

It's a legal requirement now ?

Having said that though, a few weeks ago I had a 13 plate Jazz approach and it had no DRL's !!!

I quite like mine, nice and distinctive plus it means I can turn my main headlights off just that little bit earlier

·
Registered
616 Posts
Funny requests but I have a fun solution!
Tape off the light sensor! :)

Reactions: mario898

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have seen three 9Gs with DRL intentionally disabled. Check with your dealer to see if it is a fuse removal or done via the HDS.

I think they're a great safety feature. Since you are much more visible, it can reduce the possibility of someone not checking their blind spot / mirrors and merging into your lane unexpectedly as you hope they would have noticed you before. Also, under some conditions, darker car colours tend to blend in with the road.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Having said that though, a few weeks ago I had a 13 plate Jazz approach and it had no DRL's !!!

I quite like mine, nice and distinctive plus it means I can turn my main headlights off just that little bit earlier
Think it a legal requirement for new cars to be fitted with DRL's but no legal requirement to uses them.

Personally I can understand that they make you more visible but think the LED DRL's look very "bling"

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts

Legal requirement for all new cars/models to have them the jazz wouldn't have them as the model was produced before the legal requirement to have them even though its a 13plate I've seen a few new focus with no drls only a few have the led strips in the headlights

·
shameless
537 Posts
fitment is mandatory on new models but use is optional

i hate them- driving with lights on during daylight used to mean one of four things:-

1, motorcycle
2, C.I.D in pursuit of baddies
3, towing
4, ovlov

then the worst option happened within past 2 years or so

5, i am a **** with a hankering to be an american

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,263 Posts
One thing I've noticed since having them is that you are 'seen'.

There is a large roundabout near me on a fairly fast by-pass. I turn right.

Previously I was always having to brake as someone going straight on in the opposite direction would always make a last minute decision to try and outrun me but had left it far too late.

Since having drl's this has reduced considerably. Maybe it's an optical illusion that I'm further round the roundabout and hence closer to them than before ?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I noticed the same thing. Other drivers are also quite keen on getting off the fast lane when I drive behind them with my DRLs on. I find them really useful. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
One thing I've noticed since having them is that you are 'seen'.

There is a large roundabout near me on a fairly fast by-pass. I turn right.

Previously I was always having to brake as someone going straight on in the opposite direction would always make a last minute decision to try and outrun me but had left it far too late.

Since having drl's this has reduced considerably. Maybe it's an optical illusion that I'm further round the roundabout and hence closer to them than before ?
I saw a 13 plate cr-v with drl's today in derby, by the sainsbury's at kingsway.

They looked so cool. :cool::thumbup:

Sent from my samsung galaxy s4

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just want my DLRs to turn off when the car is stationery in Auto P position. I get fed up with people coming up when I am parked with engine running (to keep air-con working) to tell me my lights are on.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I saw a 13 plate cr-v with drl's today in derby, by the sainsbury's at kingsway.

They looked so cool. :cool::thumbup:

Glad you like em. They're quite well done on the CR-V. I definitely feel like I'm getting seen earlier.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I just want my DLRs to turn off when the car is stationery in Auto P position. I get fed up with people coming up when I am parked with engine running (to keep air-con working) to tell me my lights are on.
People are strange... over there, where you live. I've never, ever, in any car, had anyone come up and try to give me such hints.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Glad you like em. They're quite well done on the CR-V. I definitely feel like I'm getting seen earlier.
I drive every where with my headlights on, even if the sun is blaring away.

I do like the new cr-v, they sort of kept the old shape but made it more modern and sleek.

Shame they never took this into thought when designing the 9th gen rear end.

Lovely looking car if it was yours. :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts