2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can some body please explain to me what Drive By Wire (DBW) is and what is does??? :confused:

I keep seeing it in specs for the CTR

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Basically...

instead of there being a physical wire connecting the top of the gas pedal to the fuel injectors, allowing more gas through as you press down, there is a computer inbetween :)

This means that if you are pootling along at 30mph in 6th and suddenly mash the throttle down, instead of floods of fuel swamping the engine and it getting all "what!? *cough* *splutter*" (and probably chucking half the fuel out of the exhaust un-combusted), the computer says "aha! more speed! :D" and only delivers as much fuel as the engine can cope with :)

its all a bit more complex than that, but basically that's what it's all about :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes its so complex that on occasions the engine thinks you are slowing down when you are speeding up and holds back. More noticable at around 2,500 rpm. Dont worry they all do it, even BMW M5s (my friend has one).

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Spot on TT, indeed it is a lot more complex and additionally it allows the VSA system to work by effectively closing the throttle when you've got the loud pedal on the floor and the wheels spinning. Not that anyone ever does such a thing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically...

instead of there being a physical wire connecting the top of the gas pedal to the fuel injectors, allowing more gas through as you press down, there is a computer inbetween :)

This means that if you are pootling along at 30mph in 6th and suddenly mash the throttle down, instead of floods of fuel swamping the engine and it getting all "what!? *cough* *splutter*" (and probably chucking half the fuel out of the exhaust un-combusted), the computer says "aha! more speed! :D" and only delivers as much fuel as the engine can cope with :)

its all a bit more complex than that, but basically that's what it's all about :)
sooo.... does this make it more fuel efficient?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Fuel efficient - two words I would not associate with the type R. :) I've stopped checking my mpg! what's the point? its about 20! just in town driving with occasional blasts
I did the same thing. Mine is about 17-18 mpg (only town driving).
Sometimes I'm curious and I check it for a second.... than my day is ruined :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did the same thing. Mine is about 17-18 mpg (only town driving).
Sometimes I'm curious and I check it for a second.... than my day is ruined :D
thats because both of you missing self control, it is very common if you drive a type-r, you keep driving on high rpm because the sound is addictive. When i drive mine not higher than 4.000 rpm and 6th gear it shows less than 10l/100km, but thats for 2-5 minutes top, then i cant hold my self either :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts