2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself rather than go straight into the Gearbox issues thread lol

Current DC5 owner and have had several Honda's down the years.

Test drove a lovely FK8 a few weeks back which felt so nice to drive, but I'm being put off by horror stories relating to gearboxes in both the FK2 and 8, the dreaded 4-5th lockout and other issues relating to the synchros. This has put me right off getting one tbh.

I'm assuming Honda haven't taken any responsiblity for this then and the issues are still ongoing?

Keen on an FK2 as well potentially but they look so dated now compared to the FK8. Would still like to drive one though.

Cheers.

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Majority of gearbox issues are being found in the USA. They are fascinated with drag racing over there. From what I’ve seen elsewhere they tend to force the gears through the gate between changes. As such the gearbox whilst slick in the lower gears (1st to 2nd) doesn’t like being rushed. If you’re driving the car normally you won’t have an issue.

I know a lot of people in the UK with FK8s and none of them have gearbox problems. Yes there may be cars out there with gearbox problems but out of all of those sold in the UK it will be a small number.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Majority of gearbox issues are being found in the USA. They are fascinated with drag racing over there. From what I’ve seen elsewhere they tend to force the gears through the gate between changes. As such the gearbox whilst slick in the lower gears (1st to 2nd) doesn’t like being rushed. If you’re driving the car normally you won’t have an issue.

I know a lot of people in the UK with FK8s and none of them have gearbox problems. Yes there may be cars out there with gearbox problems but out of all of those sold in the UK it will be a small number.

I have to agree with staffs 1st to 2nd can be a bit crunchy when driving with spirit, apart from that ive found no issues with my gearbox, tho I have read of a few with lockout from 5th to 4th and having to double clutch to get first gear at lights
I test drove the fk8 before I finally decided on the fk2, I noticed the same 1st to 2nd hesitation on my fk8 test drive and that was a brand new car, I just felt the fk2 seemed smaller and more nimble and felt like it wanted to corner faster, and the bolsters in the seats in the fk2 felt so much more hugging

Reactions: Crazylegs
1 - 6 of 6 Posts