2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I replaced my 8th gen battery last week with my local mechanic as the car wouldn't start and it wouldn't take a charge. All was fine for a few days but I came to it yesterday and the battery is flat again (brand new one).

Any ideas at all? I think something may be staying on but I'm sure all the lights were off. I had the boot open for no more than 5 minutes and I'm sure that can't have drained it?

I've borrowed a neighbors electric starter but can't get it going with that. It's a 1.8 I-SHIFT EX.

·
mmmm bacon
638 Posts
Could have a faulty alternator, if you get a multimeter, when the engine is running you should have 14 - 16 volts across the positive and negative terminals, this indicates that the alternator is healthy and charging the battery. if it is 12 volts and steadily drops then it could be that your alternator is knackered and may need replacing, what year was your civic first registered?

·
mmmm bacon
638 Posts
Also, I had a similar issue with my last car, turned out that the amplifier I fitted was staying on at all times, even with the ignition off. If you have an amp this could be something else to look at.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't have an amp, but do have a multimeter so I'll definitely test that out later. Thanks.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,890 Posts
Could have a faulty alternator, if you get a multimeter, when the engine is running you should have 14 - 16 volts across the positive and negative terminals, this indicates that the alternator is healthy and charging the battery. if it is 12 volts and steadily drops then it could be that your alternator is knackered and may need replacing, what year was your civic first registered?
+1
I think the alternator should now be the chief suspect.

Otherwise, it's an unexpected drain problem. The hands-free phone interface often causes unexpected battery drain problems on Accords (even though it might seem to be working OK). If you have one, it could be a suspect.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
How old is the battery? It could just be knackered.

I let mine run flat earlier this year and once I'd charged it up it then it wouldn't hold a charge; replaced it and now all is good again.
I hear the actual life of the battery is much shorter than you might expect...

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,890 Posts
How old is the battery? It could just be knackered.

I let mine run flat earlier this year and once I'd charged it up it then it wouldn't hold a charge; replaced it and now all is good again.
I hear the actual life of the battery is much shorter than you might expect...
...but hopefully longer than one week!;)

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
If your alternator is bad.

You will get the battery symbol light up.
You can also check the charging voltage with a OBD-II scanner.
Voltage should be 14 volts or so, 15 volts would be excessive.

I recommend doing a parastic draw test to find out what circuit is causing this issue.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, good advice. Alternator definitely the suspect. I do have a hands free but I can't see where it would be draining it, it's also really intermittent.

I did have a new battery last week as others mentioned! So that would be quite short really :)

I'll see what the mechanic says today :(

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Your drain could be your AC relay stuck on

·
Registered
51 Posts
have you got bluetooth? seen a few people on here having issues with the bluetooth module draining the battery, worth unplugging it if you have, easy test

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all! thanks for your advice. It was fuse 15 causing the issue - draining the battery, which is radio, rear reversing camera, sat nav etc. It is currently with a Honda garage, local auto electrics place couldn't work it out so I'll report back when Honda knows what is causing it!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you find the problem circuit?
I took it to an auto electrics place that charged me £25 to diagnose it, but they couldn't fix it. Basically in the exact same method as the video you posted, seeing what the amp draw was by pulling one fuse at a time.

Honda said it was the phone unit causing the draw and have disabled it for 1 1/2 hours labour cost. The other option was replacing it at £600 apparently - I never used it anyway.

Cheers for your help, glad it wasn't the satnav or camera!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi I here have the same problem but with a 2.2 diesel EX, after having this problem for 3 times, I decided to replace the battery with a new one having a better amph, but after 2 weeks everything fine, the same problem had started again!! :/,

While I'm reading this thread I noticed DiagTech mentioned the a/c relay,

In mine car, When I'm turning the a/c off, still cool air is coming out from the vents even if the fan will now be off, is this normal?, or is it doing it cause maybe the relay is stuck on?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Hi I here have the same problem but with a 2.2 diesel EX, after having this problem for 3 times, I decided to replace the battery with a new one having a better amph, but after 2 weeks everything fine, the same problem had started again!! :/,

While I'm reading this thread I noticed DiagTech mentioned the a/c relay,

In mine car, When I'm turning the a/c off, still cool air is coming out from the vents even if the fan will now be off, is this normal?, or is it doing it cause maybe the relay is stuck on?

Thanks
If the A/C system is on Fresh mode yes.
Since air from outside is being used, and the faster you go the more air comes through the vents.

Press this button to enable Recirculation(orange light should turn on), which recycles the air from inside the car which is better since it the A/C can cool air that has been cooled before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts