2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. It turns out I don't drive my Civic enough. :confused:

This afternoon, when I was going to load stuff into my car for next morning, the key button didn't open the car doors. The battery was dead. Fortunately, a neighbor happened to pass by, and helped me get the car cable-started (followed by ear-piercing burglar alarm, since I had not opened the door locks with the code key).

For several weeks I have been a good sport and walked to work most days, only driving on fridays and sometimes in weekends. And this had gradually drained the battery. Gah! I thought this couldn't happen with modern cars, but apparently it does!

I suppose I need something to keep the battery charged even when I'm not driving. Any recommendations?

I keep my car in the house's garage, where every parking place has an electric outlet with a 2-hour timer (you can pre-heat your car for 2 hours before departure). Is a 2-hour time window enough for charging a car battery, or at least keep it alive?

Is there anything I should do to the battery now that it has died once, and has only been barely charged for now?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would go for a bit longer journey or put on the charger for more hours.

When you are done, battery fully charged the 2h daily charging will be enough to keep the batt in a good condition!;)
It would be good to buy a quality charger and set a current limit at 4-5Amps.... then don't have to worry about your batt. anymore!

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
This can happen in any car, all batterys will run out eventually. If you are going to have long periods of non-usage i recommend using a trickle charger to keep it topped up so it's ready for action when you are!

·
Registered
8 Posts
When i first got my civic this happened a couple of times and after a trip to the honda dealer they found a lose connection on the back of the radio - never had a problem since might be worth them sticking it on their computer for a while which is how they found mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies!

It would be good to buy a quality charger and set a current limit at 4-5Amps.... then don't have to worry about your batt. anymore!
A friend of mine told me to go as high as 20 amps (with a quality charger) to make sure the battery gets fully charged. Another friend of mine told me that a too powerful charge may damage the battery. Which one of them is right?

I've been thinking about getting one of these, so it would be installed under the bonnet and get its power from the same plug as the engine block and interior heaters. Should be handier and more "available" than a separate charger.

You see, I ran into an embarassing practical problem when my battery was dead. I kept the starter cables in the secret compartment in the bottom of the trunk. As the trunk door couldn't be opened, I had to fold the seats and crawl into the trunk, only to find that the compartment won't open very far because the door prevents it. Luckily there was enough gap for me to squeeze my arm in and pull out the cables. :oops:

(Is there a way to open the door manually without electricity? Gotta consult the manual...)

·
Captain Slog
162 Posts
I have seen solar powered trickle chargers that plug into the lighter socket. The panels are placed on the dashboard, under the windscreen.

I don't know if you get enough ambient lighting in Finland though!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if you get enough ambient lighting in Finland though!
I doubt it. Especially in my garage, under a concrete roof. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always turn my lights "OFF", because in Scandinavia they have been set so that the lights are always on when the car is running (even when set to "OFF").

How does the "OFF" setting use up battery?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to have a 12volt trickle charger that can (and is remomended) to be left on all the time. It's about the size of a laptop transformer and can be installed inside the car.

I think it's designed for motorcycles but works equally well on cars.

Definately works as I used to have flat battery on my MGF when it was hardly used over winter, Since installing the charger it always starts first time.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I overheard a discussion between a salesman and a customer whilst waiting in the service area, the lady wanted to see the dash as she had heard about it, the comment was that the batteries go dead really quick on the Civic if you don't use them, at that point she left, with the comment that she would only use the car every couple of weeks. Mines been okay when left for a fortnight when on holiday, might think twice about leaving it for 2 weeks in winter though.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Hatch

Thanks for your replies!

A friend of mine told me to go as high as 20 amps (with a quality charger) to make sure the battery gets fully charged. Another friend of mine told me that a too powerful charge may damage the battery. Which one of them is right?

I've been thinking about getting one of these, so it would be installed under the bonnet and get its power from the same plug as the engine block and interior heaters. Should be handier and more "available" than a separate charger.

You see, I ran into an embarassing practical problem when my battery was dead. I kept the starter cables in the secret compartment in the bottom of the trunk. As the trunk door couldn't be opened, I had to fold the seats and crawl into the trunk, only to find that the compartment won't open very far because the door prevents it. Luckily there was enough gap for me to squeeze my arm in and pull out the cables. :oops:

(Is there a way to open the door manually without electricity? Gotta consult the manual...)
Hi,
There is a small cover on the inside of the hatch which,when removed gives you access to the latch,Flicking this opens the hatch from inside the car.Had to use this method myself.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the batteries go dead really quick on the Civic if you don't use them, at that point she left, with the comment that she would only use the car every couple of weeks. Mines been okay when left for a fortnight when on holiday, might think twice about leaving it for 2 weeks in winter though.
I guess the problem, in my case, is not how long the car remains completely unused, but rather, how long I drive whenever I use the car. Most of the trips I've made in the recent weeks have been way under 15 minutes, which, I guess, is not enough to compensate for the charge used whenever the car is started. So the frequent starts and too short charge cycles eventually drained the battery.

There is a small cover on the inside of the hatch which,when removed gives you access to the latch,Flicking this opens the hatch from inside the car.Had to use this method myself.
Thanks for the tip! :) Gotta find it and try it, in case for future battery incidents.

·
Registered
275 Posts
there are many threads and posts dotted about the forum on dead batteries. the draw on the battery needs to be measured and diagnosis made on this measurement. most good honda dealers will look at your car at your conveniance. allthough being a mechanic myself i would suggest leaving the car with the dealer for at leist half a day so a good diagnosis can be made, and fix the problem first time arround.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts