2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in another post, Chiswick Honda damaged the paint work around the filler cap of my 2 month old Civic whilst replacing the cap. They admitted to it straight away and said they would do an invisible repair ( quote “Better than when it left the factory”). Well that invisible repair resulted in 20% of the car being re-sprayed and that’s my point, the car is no longer as new. If I wanted a car that has had spray work, I would have bought a second hand one. Chiswick Honda have taken away the joy of owning a brand new car and reduced its value due to their negligence. The more I think of this, the madder I get :mad:

In light of this, what can I reasonably expect in the way of compensation from Chiswick Honda and how should I pursue this.

Quite frankly I think they should return the car in the condition it was given to them, so if means the have to replace it , so be it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
As mentioned in another post, Chiswick Honda damaged the paint work around the filler cap of my 2 month old Civic whilst replacing the cap. They admitted to it straight away and said they would do an invisible repair ( quote “Better than when it left the factory”). Well that invisible repair resulted in 20% of the car being re-sprayed and that’s my point, the car is no longer as new. If I wanted a car that has had spray work, I would have bought a second hand one. Chiswick Honda have taken away the joy of owning a brand new car and reduced its value due to their negligence. The more I think of this, the madder I get :mad:

In light of this, what can I reasonably expect in the way of compensation from Chiswick Honda and how should I pursue this.

Quite frankly I think they should return the car in the condition it was given to them, so if means the have to replace it , so be it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
hi bog, sorry bricklaying doesnt extend to me knowing the legal rights you have about your car, im sure there must be someone on here that does..
personally id be exactly the same as you, livid.Stick to your guns mate and demand a new car, tell them you'll camp outside the showroom every weekend and tell every potential customer how incompetent they are.....if you get nowhere bog give us a bell and i'll come down and brick their doors and windows up;)

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
They've made the paintwork as good as the original finish, and given there's some wear and tear on the paint anyway (ie, you've actually used the car), the vehicle is in better condition that you originally had it (and with working fuel flap)..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bog, I feel for you on this one, it's a risk every time a car goes into a garage. If I dare ask, what does this invisible repair look like ?.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
If they have put it right and it looks okay I don't think you will have much luck with compensation.

I have had dealings with the service side of Chiswick - I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
I mean the fact they damaged it is terrible, but if it's repaired so you couldnt tell, there's not a hope they'd give you a gesture of goodwill.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The point is you can tell its been repaired, you can see where they have masked off and there is overspray on the plastic wheel arch trim. I can clearly see it, so I'm sure a salesman giving a px price in the future will!

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
The point is you can tell its been repaired, you can see where they have masked off and there is overspray on the plastic wheel arch trim. I can clearly see it, so I'm sure a salesman giving a px price in the future will!
WHAT?! You didn't mention this in the original post. That is clearly not acceptable and you should give them opportunity to make good, or take matters further.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
If that is the case then you should obviously take action;

I would write a recorded delivery letter to the Manager at Chiswick and cc Honda UK enclosing photos of the problem and ask them how they intend to rectify the matter.

But as I said, from what I have experienced the attitude of the service team at Chiswick is extremely poor,

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
i had a chiped bumper before i even drove off the forecourt, by the person who fitted my pdc sensors. they went out of there way to sort the problem but i refused to have the car sprayed.

in the end i agreed to have the chip touched in they gave me 5 years free servicing and half of my pdc sensor money back.

if iwas you i would be looking for something along them lines if not more.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Coincidently I'm now driving a 3-door Mitsubishi Colt until Friday when I get my car back. Had my filler cap replaced on Tuesday and they scratched the paintwork around it. I believe they will re-spray the whole panel which almost extends to the bonnet. Or so I hope. It's either that or painting part of it and then attempting to fade away the edges of the old vs. new paint.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I'm getting paranoid now.. .think I will go and have a look at mine :(
Fortunately my dealer admitted they'd scratched it even before I got the car back. So no worries there.

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
Hi Bog,

Very interested to read this. When I was due to pick up my Civic I got a phone call 1 hour before I was due go - in doing the usual 'valet' they had managed to remove some paintwork where the dealership stickers had been on the spoiler (I bought a demo car). They promised to make good by respraying the spoiler and I picked up the car 24 hours 'late'. In all honesty, you would not know its been done - no overspray, no lines, ridges, nothing. However if you can tell, as you can, then I would want the car exchanged or completely resprayed at their expense, or else some other deal very favorable to you, eg.free servicing for while you have the car, or extra free warranty. If they don't want to do that, tell them you will have it sprayed privately and they can foot the bill - that way you can find a good paint shop and get a proper professional finish.

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello Bog,

I feel sorry for you, and totally agree when you are saying it isn't a brand new car anymore.
I hope all goes well for you, whatever you have in mind doing.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bog, I wouldn't mention this but from your post I see that you already realise it. When looking at secondhand cars, if it can be seen to have been resprayed, I would walk away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Bog

Got my car from the service the second time yesterday and the same happened to me. They changed the fuel filler cap and managed to make a little scratch near the cap. They offered to paint the whole side of the car or make a tiny fix and give me some discount in the next service. I chose the latter because I didn't want to the car look like it has been crashed.

Before this they had fixed my rattling windscreen and left grasy fingerprints on it and managed to damage the fixings in the A-pilar covers. They also left all kind of thrash on the dashboard. And then they also tried to adjust the hatch because water was spraying into the boot when i took the car into a carwash. It was still leaking when I took it into a carwash after the first service. Now they told that they changed the seals and washed it with their machine and it wasn't leaking anymore. It will be interesting to see how they succeeded this time.

My Car was at Veho Tampere which is major Honda dealer here in Finland. I can't believe how poor the service is in there. I did't even get a spare car for free. I wonder what will happen the next time.

Hope you get your car better tratment in the future.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Hello, Debaser! Seems like we have a lot in common you and me.

I'm currently dealing with Veho Koivuhaka here in Helsinki and even though they're sales staff is excellent I can't say the same about their service people.

I had water coming in the boot when I first went to a carwash. The service folk took their time to come to the conclusion that they needed to order parts from wherever and re-assemble most of the boot lid. Now that it's done I've washed my car more than once and so far so good.

I'm also familiar with their "no replacement car during any guarantee work" -policy. I think it's BS, I mean when are you allowed to have a replacement if not while they fix the problems that were there from day one? Well, at least I got one now that they are respraying parts of the car in the filler cap area.

So far though, I've been lucky because the dealer who sold me the car has been kind enough to let me lend one of their demo cars, while they've worked on my car. So far I've driven a Jazz, a 5-door Civic, a 4-door Civic, a 4-door Civic Hybrid, an Accord and an FR-V. :wink: Quite a list now that I think about it.

Maybe you could persuade your dealer to lend you one of their demo cars next time? They're bound to have at least one or two that are rarely driven by actual paying customers. :)

And now I'm trying to get by with this Avis' Mitsubishi Colt CZ3. It feels so very cramped I can't believe it.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bog, I wouldn't mention this but from your post I see that you already realise it. When looking at secondhand cars, if it can be seen to have been resprayed, I would walk away.
Exactly, I do the same! I'm also sure a slimy salesman will notice and give a lower px value! Whatever they do, the will never get it to ex-factory condition. I know the car is 2 months old and will have some wear and tear, but it is still effectively brand new car that cost c£17,000 and some negligent idiot has basically ruined it (and the experience of owning a new car).

Sounds like this is going to be an issue for a few of us! Yesterday, I complained to Honda UK and in return, I've just had a call from the bodyshop manager at Chiswick. He is going to come out to my place of work with a loan car, see what needs to be done and take my car away with him.

I think he feels if they get the repaired perfect, that will be the end of the matter. Well it won’t be! I have taken some legal advice and they owe me some serious compensation!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts