2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my delivery date is presumably getting closer, I started to look over the options brochure once again. I didn't really choose many, sports gear knob and mats basically. And an electric engine warmer, which is a must over here at least for the coldest month or so per year. Oh, and winter tyres of course. Still even those added up to more than £ 1400.

I had been thinking of getting the rear parking sensors and hoping I might afford a concert pack as well. However after asking my dealer for an offer for the two I was put off by the high cost of them both. Parking sensors £ 570 - Concert pack £ 890. Don't even ask about Storms that were on my wish list as well. I'm not sure if these are more expensive than what you guys paid for yours, but I'm fairly sure Finland has some of the highest options prices in Europe.

That got me thinking. How about a neighboring country? Sweden is close, but over there Honda is not as popular as you might think, and the price for a cruise with the car onboard would've been pretty high anyway. My other option was Estonia. After the 90's and the Soviet Union Finnish companies have been flocking over there to build their own stores and factories. One of these companies was Veho, the same company I'm buying my car from.

After a couple e-mails I was astonished. Not only was it cheaper, it was dirt cheap compared to prices over here. Price for both the concert pack and parking sensors was around £ 700!! That's less than I would have to pay for the concert pack alone! And since it's a Honda dealership, the parts are the same, the work is guaranteed and best of all a trip over there with a car costs around £ 20 once the high tourist season is over! Guess what. I'll be off to Tallinn as soon as I get the chance.

For the other Finns here go check these out.

www.veho.ee
www.honda.ee

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Hi Copycat. You seem to ripped off more than we are. I'm not able to fit rear sensors, so I had them fitted by Honda. £475. An absolute rip off, I think they are cheaper now. But while we pay it, they will charge it. That was a stroke of luck to think of Estonia. Wonder what they charge for the car !!!!! :roll:

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a 1.8 Sport £ 12 100
1.8 Executive £ 13 900

No 2.2 for them yet apparently.
Much cheaper then, but add to that our import taxes and you've gained nothing.

Any difference in price for you? Ireland or France maybe?

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you try that in Ireland (buying a car in another country and importing it) you have to pay VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) on the car and VAT when you bring the car back into the country. CArs in the UK are cheaper than in Ireland because of VRT. They actually charge VRT on the VAT that you pay! That's tax on tax?!?!
I know the EC was supposed to free up trade between countries but until there's real tax harmonisation between all member states. things like VRT and discrepancies in VAT are always going to act as bariers.
Of course the fact that the UK and Ireland drive on the left will also be a bit of a barrier....... :roll:

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Yes, I agree with all that. It was a rhetorical question really. How much is the Civic in Estonia.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copycat said:
For a 1.8 Sport £ 12 100
1.8 Executive £ 13 900

No 2.2 for them yet apparently.
Much cheaper then, but add to that our import taxes and you've gained nothing.
That's a fair bit less than they cost here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Weird that on honda.ee homepage it had the accessories parts listed as euros at the same price as from finland?

You got the prices via e-mail.. i'd like to go for the rear spoiler or grandprix package :D with front and rearspoilers and side skirts!

You dont have to pay any tax sh*t or anything when driving back to finland? ;)

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pikkumies said:
Weird that on honda.ee homepage it had the accessories parts listed as euros at the same price as from finland?

You got the prices via e-mail.. i'd like to go for the rear spoiler or grandprix package :D with front and rearspoilers and side skirts!

You dont have to pay any tax sh*t or anything when driving back to finland? ;)
I'm pretty sure you don't. And at least there's no way customs officers would know you had them installed while you were there.
European Union and all that. :wink:

Ask this guy for the prices in English if you're interested

Raul Palusoo [email protected]

He was very helpful when I e-mailed him a week or so ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts