2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New car (2.2 ES) had some scratches and scuffs on the dash, plus it made a rustling noise when going over less than 100% smooth roads = constant rustle on motorway. Dealer said the scratches weren't covered under the warrantee (under defective trim) since was minor, but would swap the dash out for that of a demonstrator as a “goodwill gesture”. They told me that since the car was an ’07 it had to have an ’07 dash (apparently the screen brightness dial has moved).

Since I don’t live near the dealer that supplied the car I drove the 2 hours to get to them, and they did the job. When I got back in the car, apart from noticing that everything was splattered inside and out with some kind of greasy muck, I noticed that the dash they had put in was in a worse state than the original. Lots more scratches on the “piano black”. Something else didn’t look right, but I couldn’t figure it out. Flippin rustling noise wasn't fixed either.

Complained that they had, so far as I was concerned, made the scratch problem worse. They got their warrantee guy to have a look who said we could (a) take a photo that would probably fail to show up the scratches and send it Honda or (b) get Honda to send a replacement dash and send them my one, then if they thought the scratches were not big enough to warrant a replacement charge me!

To be fair they did genuinely seem to try to put it right. In the end I grumpily accepted that the scratches were tolerable and left to do the 2 hour drive home (they did give me a new full tank of fuel).

Something on the dash didn’t look quite right on the drive home. The display for cd/radio/ac didn’t look right either. Can you guess what the nice but dim dealer did?

They put in a dash from a lower model, so now I have no dual zone button on the controls, you dont get two temp indicators on the screen, and the temp button on the passenger door does absolutely nothing.

Sigh... Am waiting to see what they come up with next. Perhaps swap out the dash for a ford focus?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
They put in a dash from a lower model, so now I have no dual zone button on the controls, you dont get two temp indicators on the screen, and the temp button on the passenger door does absolutely nothing.
I'd have fun with this one - go back to the dealer and complain that the dual temp control "just isn't working" and watch the mechanic's face as he gets in the car. Pretty poor that they didn't spot this one as they installed it.

We really need a good foolproof way of getting rid of the scratches. After a few months of normal use the dash gets loads of little scratches anyway.

So what is the rustling noise? Can we increase the number of creatures living in the Civ to 2 by adding a stray hedgehog?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still dont know what the rustling/fluttering/bundle-of-vibrating-wires noise is. What annoys me in particular is that the Jazz is absolutely silent in comparison the the Civ.

Perhaps you are right, there's some kind of creature living in there. If I can just find the right predator to introduce into the dash via the glove compartment then problem solved!

Have phoned dealer about the dash downgrade. Shocked him a bit and said they would figure something out then call me back later. Might have an `episode' if they try and put one in with even more scratches :p

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Still dont know what the rustling/fluttering/bundle-of-vibrating-wires noise is. What annoys me in particular is that the Jazz is absolutely silent in comparison the the Civ.

Perhaps you are right, there's some kind of creature living in there. If I can just find the right predator to introduce into the dash via the glove compartment then problem solved!

Have phoned dealer about the dash downgrade. Shocked him a bit and said they would figure something out then call me back later. Might have an `episode' if they try and put one in with even more scratches :p

The you'll need to find an even bigger predator to get that one out! Reminds me of a song about an woman and a fly...

Hope you get your dash sorted

·
Registered
23 Posts
My EX actually came "factory fitted" with an SE dash, you can imagine the factory's surprise when the dealer sent them the photo of the dash!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pengin, looks like you have another long drive your dealer. I am sure they would be able to sure out their own mess.

DT, i am truly gobsmack that a renown car co can actually muck it up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If your car was made in August, the quality man at Honda (who's only part time anyway) may have been on his holidays then.

For those who have been having creaks etc - I did hear that he ( the quality man) is a bit deaf too, though as I'm a bit deaf myself and may have been in a Civic on the motorway talking to another Civic driver who was on hands free, I may have misheard that last bit.

What fun we are all having in our noisy, creaky scratched dash Civics....

Pardon?

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Seems very strange that they've changed the dash. It does have the VIN plate on it so check that's correct to match the car. (little window in the front screen under the LH wiper).
The black bit is easily changed so seems wierd that they changed the switches or complete dash!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WoooHOoooO! a mere 400+miles of driving too and from dealers and I have a shiny brand new dash surround, YAY! And to make up to the insane driving got another tank of fuel. Me likes happy endings.

Seems I was misinformed about the whole dash having been replaced. They just replaces the "piano-black" bit and all the A/C switches n-stuff. So, when they put in the wrong panel the first time round the A/C control system must have detected that there was no dual A/C button in the connector and downgraded it's capabilities accordingly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Glad it's all sorted - sounds like a good way of running the car in though with that free petrol.
Just don't try cleaning your unblemished 'piano black' panels with a Brillo pad!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I thought Honda's were good

Glad you are sorted, My dealer seems good compared & I though he was crap, and at least he's only 2 miles away.

Just got mine back after nearly 2 weeks, must go and see if it will start.

How do you get those quotes on the bottom of messages?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
So, when they put in the wrong panel the first time round the A/C control system must have detected that there was no dual A/C button in the connector and downgraded it's capabilities accordingly.
Would that also mean that is my car was to have the wrong panel installed, it would detect it and upgrade itself to dual-zone? :) Just a thought.

Good to hear you have your issues sorted out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I guess you would obtain the dual zone if they put in a higher spec dash panel, probably. But you would be missing the temp control on the passenger door, so not that much use I suppose.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Now how much would those two bits cost? Not as much as opting for an EX perhaps?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts