What should I do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Ep3 over a year now and still enjoy it, but I've come to a bit of a crossroads. I don't know whether to invest a couple of grand in it to get a zorst, k100 and the suspension sorted. This is likely to be spread over a year.
Or whether to chop it in for a turbo ep3, or to get a Championship White FN2 (your fault Loxy :smile3:)
If I get the FN2 I'm likely going to be getting mods done anyway. The one negative for me about going back to the ep3 has been the remapping compared to the Fn2. I liked the fact the Flashpro was plug and play. It doesn't help that my missus asked if I want to go car hunting this weekend :laugh2: There's a CW Fn2 for sale 10 miles away, 1 owner from new. What should I do?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
You've had an FN2 before so remind me again why you went for the EP3?

Could you live with another FN2 again? Is the CW an itch you have to scratch?

Both are pretty much classic's now :p so little to choose there.

Your misses sounds like a keeper :thumbsup:

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was looking to come back to a type r in 2015 I thought I should get the newer model after owning an ep3 in 2010. The one colour I told myself I didn't want to get was black. I bought a black one :laugh2: The interior was a big improvement but the ride was much crashier than my original ep3, I sorted that somewhat with the eibach pro kit springs. I spent on other mods but probably never took a big step to drastically improve performance etc, so got a bit fed up. The ep3 popped up for sale around the corner and it brought back earlier fondness. I haven't lost the love of the ep3 and I don't want a regular Fn2 but the limited run of the CW coupled with the oem LSD is a good base to begin again. Also, I haven't enjoyed modding the ep3 as much as the Fn2, always seems a bit more tricky.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Well there seems to be a bit of a trend in the way of thinking atm.

I'm thinking of looking for a M200 or moving to a FK2, which is a while off but will be in my mind at 51 be money better spent.
I love messing with cars, problem being at 51 I have started to make silly mistakes as my patience is getting less and I'm finding I don't enjoy climbing under the car as much fun as it was. love the technical side of things. So my point being (I'll get there eventually), if you go the turbo route you may be opening up a whole load of issues and cash pot that is needed to keep it going as it's a lot of stress on a car not made for it. Age has made me sensible :crying:

(But have a CW LSD sitting and waiting to go in mine lol, just in-case I find the boosted love again >:))

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
If you got rid of an FN before why would you now go back to one? I'd say stick with what you've got and improve it to what you want it to be. As for a turbo EP - every time I head to Grinspeed there's always a broken one there! Stay NA and enjoy the last few years of the internal combustion engine before they're gone forever.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
I'm with Bones. Why go turbo when it is likely to end in tears.
The sort of money you will need to spend to achieve it will get you a spanking FN2 CW or M200 if you can find one.
Ask the question "what do I want from my CTR" and then see which one fits.
BTW I bought my FN2 at the tender age of 57 and defo won't be crawling under it too much.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I think you have already made your mind up so to buy the CW FN2, if you want reliable performance with a turbo then dig a little deeper on what will end up being the overhaul cost when other mods required and value of the car are taken into account and buy a FK2

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
keep and mod the EP3 keep it NA and build it the best you can and just enjoy driving it.

I was toying with the idea of FI for my FN. but think gearbox mods and a few tweaks to mine will keep it fun to drive. it's not about all-out speed.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Another +1 to avoid turbo unless you're going for an FK2 / FK8.

They always seem to be broken and sat in TDi or Grinspeed when I visit, every time without fail.

Reactions: Bones126

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, scrub the turbo :laugh2:
This is 240 bhp n/a (think it might be whp), I'd be happy with this 0:)
To get good power without decatting, what's the best options?
Induction
Exhaust
Cams
Injectors
K100

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
DC5 manifold with DC5 cat I *think* people tend to do to squeeze a bit of power whilst staying legal.

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is an ep3 on TRO for sale running just shy of 240 with a sports cat and solid fabs mani. Tempting.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Friends old EP was the same power as mine with just RBC inlet, Piper exhaust mani and 2.5' exhaust AEM V2 Intake... all mapped on K100.

Personally, I'd do similar to what purplemelon did with his EP, 3' intake, valves and springs with big cams... (I still have an RRC ready for a K20A for sale:wink3:)

If I ever reach 100k on my FN (I do 900 miles a year cars just gon 70k) I'd be refreshing the engine with FD2 Pistons and rods for a slight bump in compression while staying oem. already have the pump.. and different valves and springs with bigger cams.

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just one day of voting left, looking ominous :smile3:
The CW Fn2 I have my eye on has just dropped 500 notes :panic:

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Do it, do it, do it, do it >:)

Reactions: Wilmo
1 - 20 of 30 Posts