2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Deep scratches - temporary solution

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  AlanR8 
#1 ·
I've picked up a nasty scratch just behind the front passenger's door. It is quite deep, and around 4-5 cms in length.

There is a also a small bullet sized dent and scratch below the door handle.

Went to a couple of body shops, and asked Chipsaway and they reckon there is no other option but to paint/lacquer the entire panels which is going to end up costing £250!

Since the scratches are quite small I don't want to go with this option 'for now'. I'm sure they were caused by the neighbour's annoying kid on his bicycle, so not gonna bother repainting until I move to another place.

As a temporary solution, is it okay to use something like a Honda touch up paint or Dr.Color Chip?

What's the best (read:cheapest) option to disguise these temporarily?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've picked up a nasty scratch just behind the front passenger's door. It is quite deep, and around 4-5 cms in length.

There is a also a small bullet sized dent and scratch below the door handle.

Went to a couple of body shops, and asked Chipsaway and they reckon there is no other option but to paint/lacquer the entire panels which is going to end up costing £250!

Since the scratches are quite small I don't want to go with this option 'for now'. I'm sure they were caused by the neighbour's annoying kid on his bicycle, so not gonna bother repainting until I move to another place.

As a temporary solution, is it okay to use something like a Honda touch up paint or Dr.Color Chip?

What's the best (read:cheapest) option to disguise these temporarily?
Sorry to hear about this mate - personally, I would leave it and wait until I could afford to have the issue rectified properly. It's not about making the situation worse by fiddling with it.

T-Cut won't work, if the scartch is deep - and I seriously wouldn't mess about with touch up for anything more than stonechips.. So I'd seriously wait.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response mate. It sure is annoying when you put in so much effort in waxing and looking after it.

Your suggestion makes sense, I'd rather wait until I can get it done properly.

The only thing that's stopping me is I just dont trust that bloody kid! I'd have a word with the parents but I have nothing to prove that it was done by him.

#10 ·
if you pay and get it sprayed it will never be as good as a factory job. touch it in the best you can just to stop it going rusty, then put a type s sticker over it, it will look better and save loads in a respray.

#13 ·
As JTL says halfords pen let dry for 5 - 10 mins use an abbrasive polish and cutting pad to remove the excess repeat procedure till the paint is the same level or go the whole hog put a thick layer on and wet sand 2000 grit and polish out till flush.

Had to do this a few times and the results were great virtually invisible on my bonnet.

#20 ·
The one thing that disappoints me more than anything about my Type S in black is the quality of the original paintwork.

After 38K the front is covered in white chip marks. The paint seems to be very soft compared to my mate's BMW with 89K on the clock and almost no stone chips!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.