2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for starting the millionth thread on the subject, but after hours and hours of searching I have to conclude that I'm not going to get a definitive answer from previous posts due to totally contradictory information.

My problem is this. I recently purchased a 58 plate Honda Civic ES 2.2 diesel in the UK (the model without the sat nav). This did not come with any facility to connect a 3.5mm headphone plug to play music from my phone, so after taking the standard advice from here and other forums I purchased a Connects 2 box (CTVHOX001). It is clear that plenty of people on here have had great success with this, but when I fitted it at the weekend I discovered that it didn't work. The stereo simply has no idea it is there. Pressing the CD/Aux button does nothing (unless playing a CD).

Upon further research I now see that the Connects 2 website itself says it will only work on Honda Civics with a Pioneer head unit. I haven't yet had a chance to tear my car interior apart again to check for certain, but I believe that mine is a Panasonic which, according to this stickied guide from 2008, is the standard head unit (http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/10586-common-ice-questions.html).

I have since looked for some alternatives but have found info advising that XCarlink also will not work with a Panasonic HU.

However, I have seen plenty of contradictory information on all of this, so the question that I want to ask is...

Has anybody definitely successfully connected either a Connects2 or an XCarlink to a standard UK Honda Civic with a Panasonic stereo/HU?

Thanks.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I have had mine hooked up to an xcarlink with success in the past but not sure if it is the Panasonic HU. If you haven't had an answer I'll check when I get home as the HU is in my loft :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had mine hooked up to an xcarlink with success in the past but not sure if it is the Panasonic HU. If you haven't had an answer I'll check when I get home as the HU is in my loft :)
That would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Clearly states on my HU
"Assembled by Panasonic Automotive Systems Czech"

I had no issues with my xcarlink.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clearly states on my HU
"Assembled by Panasonic Automotive Systems Czech"

I had no issues with my xcarlink.
Thanks mate. If you don't mind, next time you are in the loft can you check the model number for me?
Mine is 39100-SMG-E016-M1. Would be interested to find out if I can swap it out for a model the same as yours.
Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for that.

Sadly I think this probably just goes to prove that the definitive answer that I was seeking simply doesn't exist. Clearly some Panasonic head units will work with the aftermarket products and some won't. It is also clear, from some quick Googling, that there are loads of different models of Panasonic head unit in Honda Civics- all looking and acting identical as far as I can see. Unless someone comes up with a list of which models do and which don't work for this sort of thing then it's going to be down to individuals trial and error. Poor show Honda!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contrary to my previous post, I kept researching and found that Syx is not the only one to get an XCarLink working with a Panasonic head unit, so I emailed them to ask if the XCarLink will fit my particular Panasonic model. They replied to assure me that it would, so I took the plunge and ordered their new bluetooth box. Alas they were correct- it worked!!!

I asked them...
"Please can you advise if any of the XCarLink products which include a 3.5mm aux in connection would be compatible with my Honda Civic Panasonic stereo? The details are:
Model No: 39100-SMG-E016-M1
Ref No: CQ-MH5678G
ID No: CQ-MH5678K
Serial No: 17316860"

They replied...
"Thank you for your email.
All of our Honda interfaces include a 3.5mm aux connection and will be compatible with your Honda Civic radio."

So, definitively, from my own experience, Connects2 VHOX001 definitely doesn't work with a Panasonic head unit (as per the statement on the Connects2 website), but XCarLink products do work. Obviously I don't know if absolutely ALL Panasonic head units will work with XCarLink, but anybody who is reading this with interest should check with XCarLink via their website first.

Thanks again to Syx for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts