2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still no nearer a definitive answer to my thread on Rad Fans. Is it a common thing on all Civic 1.8 petrol v-techs 8th gen from 06 on that the cooling fans are constantly cycling on-off even when the engine is not fully warmed up and the air con off. No dash warning lights to show a fault and the car runs fine. As I previously said its my first Honda and fans haven't behaved like this on the Mazdas I have owned they tended to kick in on very hot days only. Somebody must know the answer please?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
That doesn't sound normal. It should only do that when the the internal temperature gets high.

What is the engine temperature gauge saying? Is it over-heating? Are the coolant levels ok? Maybe coolant fluid need changing?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temp gauge shows normal, I checked fluid levels and they are fine. I did notice someone on the forum saying that their brand new Civic did the same thing i.e. fan on most of the time!!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
In that case, you can think of it as a positive - at least you don't have to worry about your car overheating ;)

But honestly, I would have the car checked out by Honda, as it's not meant to turn on when the engine isn't even warmed up to the operating temp.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps the temp control is in auto mode?
Everything is switched off as far as heater and air con go inside the car it is just the cooling fans in the engine compartment coming on in what I would consider an excessive amount, but this could be normal for a Civic v-tech engine I just wondered if forum members with the same vehicle have the same situation or whether I should spend money on a diagnostic only to be told it's normal!

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
I think its normal. Will see what mine does in the morning. I'll start it and see how long it takes for fan to kick in while air con is off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Freddie I will be interested in your input, somebody suggested to me that because it is a very small rad on the Civic it might require more cooling from the fan than other cars, as I have said I think in five years of driving a Mazda 6 I only heard the fan kick in a hand full of times and that was in traffic jams in summer.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Mine seems to kick in quite quickly after start and randomly too. Never been an issue. I actually had to listen out for it as I am now so used I don't hear it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had it checked out and it is a fairly common fault. The sensor at the bottom of the radiator, ECT2, goes haywire causing the fan to come on even during warm up so it was replaced and now behaves normally, the fan will now only kick in when the temperature gets very hot as is normal. If you leave the fault unchecked it risks burning the rad fan motor out & also puts a strain on the charging system and can also affect engine running at idle as the ECU gets confused that the fan is running yet the engine temp is normal so it attempts to compensate. If your fan is switching on early Freddie and the air con is definitely off then I would have the sensor replaced. They are about £40-£50.

·
Sierra Echo
95 Posts
Was guessing the same, as long as the engine doesn't reach operational temp, the engine cooling fans shouldn't come on. I have mine kicking in rarely especially in this time of the year.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
I never turn my climate control off. Keep it on all the time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to clarify Freddie this is nothing to do with climate control, but the radiator cooling fan which should be on only in extreme temperatures such as being stuck in traffic when the outside temp is in the eighties. As for the climate control I only tend to turn it on as needed to demist or to cool the interior in hot weather thereby helping keep the air con compressor from overuse and thus shortening its working life as they are very expensive to replace and also take power from the engine whilst driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts