2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an Advance in September, a few days before the launch. I was given an estimated delivery date of 17th October. Late yesterday, I was told:
"There has been some issue with certain orders on the new Civic in which it seems there have not been enough allocation for a selection of the Honda Civics and I’m afraid your car is one of those.

It means that your Civic is now not going to be coming and has unfortunately had to be allocated in the next batch of Civic which aren’t going to be with us until March."

I am obviously livid! What is going on?

I had seen an article about Honda reducing output in October, but had not expected to be impacted in this way.

I have yet to respond to the dealer as I was just too furious to be let in front of a keyboard.

Anyone elsesimilarly impacted?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Valid reasons.

Since the Virus, all OEM supply chains have been decimated. Not sure how anyone could have overlooked this really.

They're keeping you informed which is all they can do.

Obviously you have the choice to cancel and/or wait to procure a demo car, but getting upset at this situation which IS outside of Honda's control, you wont get a car any sooner.

Sign of the times.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I ordered mid Sept and got my advance within 3 weeks. I guess I got in just before the majority of orders.

I did hear some who placed orders in early Aug still ahvetn received their cars. Any new orders are all now March/April 2023.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand Honda's reasons and aware of the ongoing supply chain issues being experienced globally. I also appreciate that there's bugger all I can do about the situation. But, communications skills are somewhat lacking.

On 10th October, I was still being quoted a delivery date of 17th October (+/- 2 days). So, I can't comprehend how we go from everything being on track with a week to go, to sorry there's now going to be a 6 month wait. I'm struggling with the last minute nature of the delay and the scale of it. Something of this magnitude is not unforeseen, there are warning signs way in advance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On 10th October, I was still being quoted a delivery date of 17th October (+/- 2 days). So, I can't comprehend how we go from everything being on track with a week to go, to sorry there's now going to be a 6 month wait
I feel your pain, but sorry, it clearly doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out here that the delivery info you were given was in turn supplied via duff info.

Thats hardly the supplying dealers fault - they can only go by what info they have been provided - they dont get to see the production line(s) to see whose car is where.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel your pain, but sorry, it clearly doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out here that the delivery info you were given was in turn supplied via duff info.

Thats hardly the supplying dealers fault - they can only go by what info they have been provided - they dont get to see the production line(s) to see whose car is where.
I appreciate that's the date the dealer was given by Honda.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Brexit is the root cause. Leaving Europe both Honda and BMW Mini have pulled out along with catastrophic disruption and the in other industries. All perfectly foreseeable tote man in the street.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I appreciate that's the date the dealer was given by Honda.
Doesnt matter - the info they were provided from source was wrong. They would not have known that until, as you found out, the source told them they cant deliver as advised. Hence the delay.

Brexit is the root cause.
Scrape the barrel much?

Brexit has got nothing to do with this. The pandemic is the cause - for ALL car OEMs, not just Honda.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
Agree.
Honda left the UK because with an EU trade agreement making Japanese imports simpler/cheaper they did not need a factory in Europe full stop. So they moved production back home to bolster the domestic economy.
Nothing to do with Brexit.

All they now have is a whopping warehouse in Belgium and a smaller one here in the UK.
That is why some parts now take several days to arrive from Belgium rather than next day from UK.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
So if UK stayed in the EU, the trade agreement would have been in place and in turn Honda would have stayed.

I think its a conbination of events that has caused majority of the issues with new cars.

1. Brexit. The uncertainty of trading with UK etc was all up in the air (and still kinda is with the pound turmoil).
2. First Covid global lockdowns- which in turn lead to world chip shortages. But this "chip shortage" can't be used as an excuse anymore- as its been long enough as manufacturing was ramped up late 2020.
3. As Honda cars are now manufactured in Japan, there is a 6-8 weeks shipping time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Honda left the UK because with an EU trade agreement making Japanese imports simpler/cheaper they did not need a factory in Europe full stop.
Or more accurately because Swindon was an outdated, expensive, inefficient plant, running at below economies of scale (needed 300K cars PA, only did 125ish PA) and Honda had designs on moving out of the UK even before the Brexit vote.

The trade agreement just confirmed Swindon's economic irrelevance. Godd riddance frankly - now we get superior built true Japanese Honda's.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,296 Posts
I remember watching a program years ago, not Honda, but it was showing the differences in build strategy in Japan.

In Japan, if one part just won't fit during the time the conveyor allows then the conveyor is stopped allowing more time to get a correct fit. Elsewhere the conveyor keeps going under a 'best fit' strategy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I remember watching a program years ago, not Honda, but it was showing the differences in build strategy in Japan.

In Japan, if one part just won't fit during the time the conveyor allows then the conveyor is stopped allowing more time to get a correct fit. Elsewhere the conveyor keeps going under a 'best fit' strategy.
Pretty much all JDM Honda's were built better than our UKDM one's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trying to get a feel for situation regarding orders.

For those lucky enough to have already received your new car, it would be appreciated to know:
Grade, colour, order date and collection date.

For those still waiting, it would be appreciated to know:
Grade, colour, order date and estimated handover date.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts