2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Valid reasons.

Since the Virus, all OEM supply chains have been decimated. Not sure how anyone could have overlooked this really.

They're keeping you informed which is all they can do.

Obviously you have the choice to cancel and/or wait to procure a demo car, but getting upset at this situation which IS outside of Honda's control, you wont get a car any sooner.

Sign of the times.

· Registered
394 Posts
On 10th October, I was still being quoted a delivery date of 17th October (+/- 2 days). So, I can't comprehend how we go from everything being on track with a week to go, to sorry there's now going to be a 6 month wait
I feel your pain, but sorry, it clearly doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out here that the delivery info you were given was in turn supplied via duff info.

Thats hardly the supplying dealers fault - they can only go by what info they have been provided - they dont get to see the production line(s) to see whose car is where.

· Registered
394 Posts
I appreciate that's the date the dealer was given by Honda.
Doesnt matter - the info they were provided from source was wrong. They would not have known that until, as you found out, the source told them they cant deliver as advised. Hence the delay.

Brexit is the root cause.
Scrape the barrel much?

Brexit has got nothing to do with this. The pandemic is the cause - for ALL car OEMs, not just Honda.

· Registered
394 Posts
Honda left the UK because with an EU trade agreement making Japanese imports simpler/cheaper they did not need a factory in Europe full stop.
Or more accurately because Swindon was an outdated, expensive, inefficient plant, running at below economies of scale (needed 300K cars PA, only did 125ish PA) and Honda had designs on moving out of the UK even before the Brexit vote.

The trade agreement just confirmed Swindon's economic irrelevance. Godd riddance frankly - now we get superior built true Japanese Honda's.

· Registered
394 Posts
Was doing a search to see if there were any updates kicking around. Didn't see anything for Civic, but the similar thread for HRV's makes for interesting reading...

HRV Delays
Nothing interesting about it or indeed, unique to Honda.

Pretty much every OEM is suffering:

· Registered
394 Posts
It's now dropped to 47.5MPG with mixed driving, maybe weather dependant.

Nowhere near the claimed numbers.
What numbers were you expecting or hoping for?

My old mans HR-V Hybrid is the same....gets 60mpg for fun around town....a little less at higher speeds on the mway....

Equally, my 1.5T CR-V gets 50-55mpg on the mway....(who needs a Hybrid!) and happily gets 30-40mpg round town.....

Swings and roundabouts....

· Registered
394 Posts
If its any consolation, on the 5-day test drive I had with a Civic Advance, I clocked up around 400 miles and saw urban MPG around the 48 mark and up to 56 on the mway.

Lots of variables will affect performance from the weight of your foot, traffic, environment etc...hybrids are more susceptible given their set up is primarily geared towards lower tailpipe emissions, not economy (all to keep the tree and eco mentalists happy).

· Registered
394 Posts
I have spoken to two dealerships today about ordering a new civic. One dealership told me the estimated delivery would be September 2023.

The second dealership said they are not able to place orders with Honda for the new Civic at present but would take a £500 deposit to go onto the dealership waiting list for when they can place orders with Honda.

Anyone else been quoted the above statements
According to various sources, parts are impacting production in Japan.

Orders for the Civic 11G and 11G CTR for the UK/parts of Europe are all on hold. No ETA on when this restriction will be lifted.

Your dealer isnt lying.

If someone is desperate for an 11G, just wait for the demo's to come on sale and buy one of those - far cheaper too.

· Registered
394 Posts
don't understand why they have halted new orders
I thought that that was very evident - supply issues.

they could still take the orders
Er no - because if they cant be fulfilled, dealers would have to reimburse a great many customers.

halting orders means losing customers
Wrong again. If orders cant be placed, there is no net material loss. This issue is not Honda-specific. Its afflicting all OEMs. Go and ask the EV lunatics waiting 2+ years for an ID3 milkfloat.

don't see the point in bring out a new car if you can't order it
Again, you have no idea about the bigger picture. The same was true for the HR-V Hybrid when it went on sale in late 2021. Supply and component issues. No point taking orders for something that cannot be fulfilled, especially when the originating supplier based in Japan is telling UK dealerships that very same thing. Really not that hard a concept to grasp - its been going on since before even COVID arrived. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
394 Posts
With respect to what your saying I get it but Honda would loss customers if they decide to go with another car manufacturer that is still taking orders then they have lost a sale to them also I read the latest news regarding delivery lead times if Nissan Kia and other manufacturers can get hybrid cars in a four month time frame then so can Honda they are just not trying hard enough or more than likely the UK has been snubbed cause of the Brexit **** in favour of other countries
Oh please.

Enough with Brexit. That has got nothing to do with it. And if you believe it has, pray tell, why are Honda orders across the EU halted? Did they Brexit too? 🤦‍♂️

As for orders, well, Nissan/Kia etc are hardly paragons of quality versus superior Japanese built Honda's. Sunderland Nissans and Slovenian/Slovakian (I think?!) built Kia's are hardly comparable when the models you refer to are not a match for the Civic.

Apples to oranges. You said you "get it", but reading your comment, you really do not get it I'm afraid otherwise you wouldnt have said what you did. Of course, you're entitled to your view.

· Registered
394 Posts
am just here to talk about the ordering issue and any helpful updates
Which I duly gave. Not all dealers are aware of the production halt. My relationship with Honda is neither here nor there, I just felt it prudent to answer your Q, which I did :)

And yet Kia still offer a 7 year warranty, Honda are still only 3.
Toyota offer 10 years if serviced with them, so whats your point?

Is the issue with supply when people spec certain "specs"? I mean if you go in with a "what ya got" attitude is there still a long lead time?
Partially yes, depending trim, complexity of said trim and other tier 2/3 supply issues from vendors that were pushed to the brink via COVID. So lead times are impacted as a result of that supply bottleneck.

· Registered
394 Posts
If Honda was far superior to Kia they would offer a better warranty than what is one year more than the EU required standard.
Thats a question only Honda can answer, I'm sure you agree :)

Given Honda's contracting market share, if I were in charge, I wouldnt be extending warranties, which for all OEMs is a costly endeavour. Kia, with Hyundai, have a broader portfolio across which those costs can be mitigated against.

Also, superiority takes many forms. BMW et al all have perceived superiority too - but their reliability and costly repair bills speak otherwise ;)

And I think we're way off topic now....

· Registered
394 Posts
if only honda had kept the Swindon factory open we wouldn't be having the UK supply issues
🤣

A great deal of Swindons Honda supply chain originated OUTSIDE of the UK.

That, amongst many other financial blows was why the place was shut down - it was inefficient, too costly to operate and had been losing money for years. It deserved to be shut down. Honda is a business, not a jobs creating charity. Good riddance frankly - now, the UK benefits from better quality built cars from Japan.

Still, you made me chuckle!

· Registered
394 Posts
Anyone who wants an 11G bad enough would be smart and hassle their dealers for demo models, assuming the right choice of spec is available.

Given the few colour choices available on the 11G, if I was in the market for one, I wouldnt mind too much about the colour if I could lay my hands on a demo in the right spec - not like a driver can see the whole exterior when driving on the inside anyway :)

· Registered
394 Posts
There was no supply issues with the 10G
Apples to oranges comparison.

There was no pandemic during the start of production of the 10G.

There wasnt Honda leaving the UK (for the bulk of its 10G cycle).

There wasnt a component shortage worldwide.

Interest rates were lower.

Global economic growth was more robust and sustained.

Need I go on?

:)

· Registered
394 Posts
the point i was making was you could order and get a car when you had a UK car production
Not necessarily so.

At least 2 of CR-Vs I had previously from Swindon, were delayed by 4 months each time due to parts issues. This was in 2013 and again in 2017. So your story doesnt stack up.

I know of at least a dozen more 4th Gen CR-V owners that also had delivery delays too. Granted, nowhere near as bad as now, but to minimise the impact just because Honda had a (rubbish) plant in the UK is a far cry from the reality of its systemic failures.

Also bear in mind, 11G production for the UK allocation is not even 6 months old yet. Irrational to think it can be sorted out in the blink of an eye. The car industry is navigating unchartered territory - as are buyers.

· Registered
394 Posts
You missed my point entirely.

My point was that despite the UK having a Honda factory, it was still subject to parts shortages and delays. I gave the CR-V as example of that.

without a UK plant we are having to rely on imports from Japan
So what?

Even when useless Swindon was in full swing, the HR-V (2nd Gen) came here from Mexico, then Japan. The 2008-15 Accord also came from Japan. The first IMA Jazz Hybrid came from Japan.

Its not like the UK has never had Japanese imports before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts