2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
If Honda was far superior to Kia they would offer a better warranty than what is one year more than the EU required standard.
Thats a question only Honda can answer, I'm sure you agree :)

Given Honda's contracting market share, if I were in charge, I wouldnt be extending warranties, which for all OEMs is a costly endeavour. Kia, with Hyundai, have a broader portfolio across which those costs can be mitigated against.

Also, superiority takes many forms. BMW et al all have perceived superiority too - but their reliability and costly repair bills speak otherwise ;)

And I think we're way off topic now....

· Registered
184 Posts
If Honda was far superior to Kia they would offer a better warranty than what is one year more than the EU required standard. That's my point. My wife's Picanto has needed nothing other than a set of wiper blades in the 4 1/2 years we've had it.
As you never mentioned tyres I assume the Picanto doesn't have all that many miles on it

I had a Gen 10 Civic and other than tyres and wiper blades I had no issues in four and a half years of ownership

· Registered
184 Posts
I know a lot of manufacturers are having semi conductor problems, however imo if only honda had kept the Swindon factory open we wouldn't be having the UK supply issues we're experiencing
Not quite sure about that unless Swindon could produce Civics without semi conductors

As someone who owned a Gen 10 and now a Gen 11 - the build quality of the Gen 11 is a big step up

· Registered
404 Posts
if only honda had kept the Swindon factory open we wouldn't be having the UK supply issues
🤣

A great deal of Swindons Honda supply chain originated OUTSIDE of the UK.

That, amongst many other financial blows was why the place was shut down - it was inefficient, too costly to operate and had been losing money for years. It deserved to be shut down. Honda is a business, not a jobs creating charity. Good riddance frankly - now, the UK benefits from better quality built cars from Japan.

Still, you made me chuckle!

· Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I have probably said this before but once the EU had signed a trade deal with Japan (over car imports) Honda did not need a factory in Europe full stop. We were the unlucky ones who were hosting it.
They would have left Brexit or no Brexit.

The main European Honda warehouse is in Belgium so was unaffected by our exit from EU and is why some parts now take longer to arrive if they are not in the UK warehouse stock.

· Registered
20 Posts
Fwiw if you go on the honda Japan website it gives a summary of expected delivery times for Japanese domestic orders and the civic ehev is listed as about 1 year from order placement. Same as the petrol version they have that we don't. And the type r is over 1 year.
It's the perfect storm of high demand of a product they simply can't build fast enough due to the parts shortage. I don't know if their factories have theoretical capacity to meet the demand if parts availability was normal.
I was sort of expecting they were prioritising Japan orders over rest of world, thus feeding into the UK long delivery times but it sounds like that isn't the case and they are just struggling all round.
For me ordering in October with a predicted due date of May, that's 6-7 months. Considering at least 2 months will be on the ship, that means really 4-5 months for build. I'm not sure if that is particularly bad. I've certainly heard similar stories before from all brands over the years, especially on newly introduced models. Fingers crossed it doesn't get put back now I've said all that!

Of course other models in the range that have been on sale for longer and less in demand are available quicker because they'll have built up a bit of stock that will be sat waiting in a field!

· Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Reminds me of when I worked in defence electronics and the designers went off and designed wonderful state of the art circuit boards without consulting the manufacturing team.
When they were told that we did not possess machines capable of the precision required to built such things they looked like a right bunch of twats.
Have they forgotten the basics of joined up business?

· Registered
404 Posts
Anyone who wants an 11G bad enough would be smart and hassle their dealers for demo models, assuming the right choice of spec is available.

Given the few colour choices available on the 11G, if I was in the market for one, I wouldnt mind too much about the colour if I could lay my hands on a demo in the right spec - not like a driver can see the whole exterior when driving on the inside anyway :)

· Registered
20 Posts
Anyone who wants an 11G bad enough would be smart and hassle their dealers for demo models, assuming the right choice of spec is available.

Given the few colour choices available on the 11G, if I was in the market for one, I wouldnt mind too much about the colour if I could lay my hands on a demo in the right spec - not like a driver can see the whole exterior when driving on the inside anyway :)
The thing is there is already one ex demo for sale on auto trader with 3k miles that is 37 grand and its only a sonic grey sport model with what looks like the titanium pack added. That's a significant mark up already! I'm not sure I could be that desperate, but it's there for someone who is...

· Registered
28 Posts
The thing is there is already one ex demo for sale on auto trader with 3k miles that is 37 grand and its only a sonic grey sport model with what looks like the titanium pack added. That's a significant mark up already! I'm not sure I could be that desperate, but it's there for someone who is...
There's an Elegance for £29,490 in Aylesbury Honda that's available. There's also an one for £32,999 in West Bromwich.

101 - 120 of 163 Posts