2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going for a test drive of a type r in a few weeks and was just wondering how the car feels in the vtec zone. I have never driven a vtec so i am really looking forward to it. Does it throw you back into the seat etc Also can you get to 60 in 2nd? Whats the hightest speed you can get to in each gear? I currently drive a 200bhp ibiza cupra diesel so i understand its a complete different drive. Just wonderd how it felt in vtec.

Thanks

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I am going for a test drive of a type r in a few weeks and was just wondering how the car feels in the vtec zone. I have never driven a vtec so i am really looking forward to it. Does it throw you back into the seat etc Also can you get to 60 in 2nd? Whats the hightest speed you can get to in each gear? I currently drive a 200bhp ibiza cupra diesel so i understand its a complete different drive. Just wonderd how it felt in vtec.

Thanks
One word.......WOW!!!!!!!!!

Hmm all depends on how you drive. not sure if you can get to 60 in 2nd.....as much as I try this I don't really pay that much attention. I think you can get to about 62ish in 2nd then it hits the red line.

You can feel the Vtec kick in and there is a slight pull into the seat, but your already firmly strapped in and it makes one hell of a noise. My mate loves it! He compared it to a Touring car noise (although I don't) Sounds so loud inside the car you'll just want to listen to that and nothing else. It wont have the Torque of the Ibiza but like you've said you know they are a completely different drive.

You'll love it! Thats I can Guarantee ;)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
See chart below for the FN2 CTR Gearing FN2, courtesy of an earlier post by Pottsy

The type R is completely different from your low reving torquey diesel. You have to rev the engine when you need peak performance - it is great fun to drive.

Attachments

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow in vtec

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I like to liken the Vtec noise to the sound of a Japanese Zero turning in to attack a cargo plane from altitude:

"woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowng" (difficult to get the metallic twang of it) I love the noise, gets me moaned at, especially by my debit card with the fuel bill :)

Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also when the engine is working it's way up the rev range, which is where it wants to be tbh, it is comparitively quiet compared to other cars I have had at any given rpm. Example : 6000rpm in a Vtec.....seems quite quiet compared to 6000rpm in other vehicles.
Still love the rush when I hold it in 2nd gear alongside someone at say 40mph, then floor it......objects in the rear view mirror and all that. :D

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Also when the engine is working it's way up the rev range, which is where it wants to be tbh, it is comparitively quiet compared to other cars I have had at any given rpm. Example : 6000rpm in a Vtec.....seems quite quiet compared to 6000rpm in other vehicles.
Still love the rush when I hold it in 2nd gear alongside someone at say 40mph, then floor it......objects in the rear view mirror and all that. :D
may appear closer than they are? :D :wink:
YouTube - Meat Loaf - Objects in the rear view mirror may appear close

1 - 7 of 7 Posts