2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reproduced with permission from a Type R owner from S Africa.

Happened in first gear at moderately high but not excessive revs. Car has done only c.4500 miles. End result after a period of "discussion" is a new engine.

You can see the mess in the cylinder head/combustion chamber, and one piston seems to be missing in action!

I've asked the owner if he'd like to join in here - maybe he will..

DSC01541.JPG

DSC01542.JPG

DSC01543.JPG

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What could have caused such a catastrphic failure? Water in the cylinder?

Thankfully this kind of thing is very rare with Honda engines1

·
Registered
79 Posts
Probably more like a driving along in 5th gear.... and missed 4th, and went straight to 2nd!

I'm sure the Car's ECU will tell exactly what the problem was! - If it 'just died' in 1st gear at low rev's - i'm sure Honda would be replacing it!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Now thats a very rare sight indeed for a Honda :(

Only 1 cylinder damaged so the timing chain didn't jump or all 4 would have sustained some sort of damage.

Could be component failure of the piston in some way as all four valves are still in the head in the bad cylinder by the looks of things - nasty :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I wonder if his previus posts had been along the lines of
"something is not right - I'm only getting 15mpg, and it sounds like it's only running on 3 pistons..."

serious ouch though :(

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
It will be very interesting to find out what caused this.

To go off thread a bit, I dont know why Honda didn't put the S2000 240hp engine in the type R. It is proven to be bullet proof and would have put the type R ahead of the competition in the power stakes. Sure it would have been more expensive - but what a car.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably more like a driving along in 5th gear.... and missed 4th, and went straight to 2nd!

I'm sure the Car's ECU will tell exactly what the problem was! - If it 'just died' in 1st gear at low rev's - i'm sure Honda would be replacing it!
The car was just accelerating in first gear, and it happened well before the limiter. It looks like conrod failure, or maybe piston failure (both can lead to the failure of the other).

The ECU will know nothing of a mechanical failure like this, other than the engine stopped!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Pottsy - with all the time that you spend devoting yourself to this place, how on Earth do you find time to wander the net for snippets like this!? :D

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
I seem to recall Honda bragging about how they have never had a failure worldwide.

Im sure it was on some of the type-r promotional video`s.

I have heard it stated a few times thats for sure.

What constitutes a failure????

·
Registered
108 Posts
I seem to recall Honda bragging about how they have never had a failure worldwide.

Im sure it was on some of the type-r promotional video`s.

I have heard it stated a few times thats for sure.

What constitutes a failure????
They have never had a failure of the vtec system (only) many many engines have failed usually due to lack of oil or too many revs in a 6th to 2nd change!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am the owner of that motor. Yes it did happen in first gear at about 7200rpm. It also happened in town three blocks away from our local Honda dealer. The motor was as smooth as ever and showed no signs of what was to follow. The no1 piston disintegrated and was ground to little pieces. The front wheels started locking up, luckily at a low speed. The oil level was perfect. I drive the car the way it was designed to be driven. I have never been on a race track. I have never participated in any drags. I drive it slowly until properly heated up. The ecu does show that the car was in 1st gear when this happened. Can only have been a badly cast piston...

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
I bet the Honda quality guys will want to know what happened there as you would think that QC procedures during manufacture and machining of the pistons/con rods would pick up such a failure before it happened - if you see what I mean....

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I read the srory on an other forum ,he did this in 2nd gear

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts