2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd open up a general chat for detailing discussion. I know we have the chat box but some people don't wanna read people talking s**t about detailing all day every day.. so here is a thread for it :)

I also thought I could perhaps help some of you guys out by giving you the chance to ask me any questions, in one place. As a seasoned pro, with a good knowledge of Honda paintwork and how to approach it from a detailing perspective, this thraed might come in handy :popcorn2:

So, fire away...

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Thought I'd open up a general chat for detailing discussion. I know we have the chat box but some people don't wanna read people talking s**t about detailing all day every day.. so here is a thread for it :)

I also thought I could perhaps help some of you guys out by giving you the chance to ask me any questions, in one place. As a seasoned pro, with a good knowledge of Honda paintwork and how to approach it from a detailing perspective, this thraed might come in handy :popcorn2:

So, fire away...
Nice idea Matt but we don't talk **** in the chatroom lol:D. I'll fire away, you got any crystal rock you don't want or a scrap panel:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
clash of the titans?

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll fire away, you got any crystal rock you don't want or a scrap panel:D:D
No and errr... nope!! I do need some scrap panels!

So what would you like to ask first Matt? ;)
How do you correct a car in 4hrs?! ;)

How would you normally deal with sticky paint?
I would generally use a polishing or light cutting pad with an oily finishing polish such as 3M Ultrafina. Might be considered unusual but you get the mechanical cut from the pad whilst the oily nature of a finishing polish, particularly Ultrafina, acts as a lubricant. I would generally use slower speeds too, anything up to 1200rpm max and back down to 600/800 (or your machines lowest setting!).

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
I wondered that too Matt
but it worked!! LOL
When are you doing your course again..I can show you how I did it then ;):D

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
No and errr... nope!! I do need some scrap panels!

I would generally use a polishing or light cutting pad with an oily finishing polish such as 3M Ultrafina. Might be considered unusual but you get the mechanical cut from the pad whilst the oily nature of a finishing polish, particularly Ultrafina, acts as a lubricant. I would generally use slower speeds too, anything up to 1200rpm max and back down to 600/800 (or your machines lowest setting!).

Lol

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can newbies join in too or is this a big boys club lol
Anyone can join - and it doesn't matter how daft or stupid you may think you sound, at least one other person in the thread will be thinking what you asked ;)

When are you doing your course again..;):D
Hopefully I'll be running a larger scale course in February, to cover much more than just the polishing. Scaled up version of what I did back in November. :cool:

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's true actually, even I get bored of the chat box discussion. Robbo promised me it was full of T&A, all I see is largely fictional detailing info lol :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Hopefully I'll be running a larger scale course in February, to cover much more than just the polishing. Scaled up version of what I did back in November. :cool:
Not on the 23rd Feb please Matt
I'm doing a sponsored abseil in Manchester with school on that date

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
That's exactly what I did, but used some lime prime with scholl s17. Wish my dodo rotary would go below 1000 rpm! May invest in some 3m polish for the future.

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sticky paint is generally soft too, I have found. It is less of a problem with the Bigfoot machine, but I appreciate I am probably the only guy on the forum who owns one. So alot of my threads of late have been car pr0n only, without any actual substance to aid you guys, another reason for this thread tbh. I don't feel I have added much of late.

In other news, I have a forum members car in atm, which is undergoing a couple of days worth of work, so I intend to get lots of pics and make a decent thread for you :)

1 - 20 of 357 Posts