2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2006 CDTi and cover BIG mileage (30k+ per year). The car has recently hit 104000 miles and over the past few months has developed an annoying suspension knock when going over bumps and potholes. Over time this has started giving a ’numb’ feeling in the steering, tramlining and twitchy handling along with excessive body roll - almost scary when going left-right-left like a slalom.
On Saturday after a small trip to the shop, my right wheel began squeaking every now and again, almost as if brake dust was between the disc and pad. when i got home I touched the wheel (not the disc! ) and on both sides they were RED hot.

Symptoms point to worn shocks, but can worn shocks cause extra strain on braking components to the extent that they would be so hot?

Any input greatly appreciated.

J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drop links were my first thought and i replaced them two months ago. When up in the air the wheels have no side to side play, nor do they have up and down play.
I can't rule out sticking calipers or bearings due to the mileage, but for this to happen to both corners at the exact same time...surely one side would go before the other?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If it does turn out to be droplinks (and if you are doing that sort of mileage it's likely, mine is high miles too - 155,000 miles and had rattles over choppy surfaces like cobblestones at 140 thou!) then look at

HONDA CIVIC 2.2 TD iCDTi 06> Front Stabilizer Link Bar LEFT & RIGHT Drop Links 2 | eBay

These sorted mine to a great extent, and changing the l/h trackrod end a week later cured the clunks completely!

Tie/Track Rod End Front Left Outer - HONDA CIVIC VIII Hatchback 2006-> QR3797S | eBay

Although I got an unused genuine Honda part off the 'bay for 12 quid.....

Hope this helps

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts