2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, day 2 of driving my new car to work, and it broke down on the way home :crying:

I was exiting a roundabout, and put my foot down a bit in 2nd gear, and it was like hitting a brick wall, all power was gone, and I nursed it to the side of the road where it stalled. The check engine light was on.
I tried starting it, but it cranked for 10 seconds with no sign of life, so I left it.
I called the AA, and while on the phone listening to some safety announcement, I gave it another try, and it started. I drove off slowly, as I know there is a lay-by a mile up the road, and it seemed to be ok...so I hung up the phone (hands free of course) and carried on.

I drove back to my workshop (I'm no mechanic, I make them shiny!) and tried to plug in my cheap ebay obd reader (works on my wife's audi) but it didn't connect.
I drove it home, and gave it some beans, and it seemed a lot better...but the engine light is still on.

Any clues or pointers? the MoT is booked for Monday, should I stop off somewhere and have the code read before then? It seems ok, so I'm going to carry on driving it...

Is there a way of resetting the light, just to see if it was a hiccup?

·
Administrator
17,966 Posts
Fault under power eh, oops.

Fuel filter maybe, when was it last serviced?

Was a pukka Honda filter used? - cheap alternatives aren't favoured by our derv's.

·
Administrator
17,966 Posts
Yeah, a poor fuel filter has been known to cause odd issues.

Changing it is a fairly awkward job, so often ignored.

As you say, it certainly can't hurt to swap it out, just ensure you get a Honda filter.

Try and get the codes read too, it may save you playing 'parts darts'.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Get that code read and should hopefully point you straight to it.

Don't wipe it as it's always best to know why it happened, last thing you want is it cutting out when pulling out of a high speed junction, could end very badly!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Getting the stored codes read and seeing if the fuel filter is to blame (P1065 and/or P0087 codes) is all well and good, but surely the car should go back to the seller for attention?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting the stored codes read and seeing if the fuel filter is to blame (P1065 and/or P0087 codes) is all well and good, but surely the car should go back to the seller for attention?
It was a private sale, so there is no warranty.
I would love to rant and rave about it (I do that a lot:laugh2:), but it could be the first time it's ever happened, so it's not necessarily the previous keeper's fault. Of course, he could have known about it, but if he did I doubt he'd admit it now...

All I can do is deal with the problem and move on...and hope that it's not a sign of things to come!

I drove it to work this morning, and it seemed to be ok. I'll see if the guy doing the MoT on Monday can read the codes...in the meantime I'll order a new fuel filter and some egr gaskets - after reading up on that last night I reckon giving that bad boy a clean out would be a good bit of preventative maintenance!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started it up to drive home, and the ecl went out before I was out of the car park.
I've ordered the fuel filter and egr gaskets, I'll be tackling those next weekend. Hopefully it will keep the code stored so I'll be able to find out what the cause was/is...don't want it happening again!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Fair enough Marc. I'd still want to read the codes before embarking on a fuel filter change, but the symptoms point that way. Do use a genuine Honda part (actually made by Denso), as substitutes often give poor performance or short life.

As some will have noticed, I do not support this forum's obsession with cleaning the EGR system. You really DO NOT want to do anything to improve the flow of exhaust into the engine, all that needs doing is ensuring that the valve closes fully and without sticking. I despair when someone says how clean they've got the pipework, but then didn't bother to actually apply vacuum and see if the valve worked... a complete waste of time!

Just replace the filter and see how it goes. If there's still a problem then GET THE STORED CODE(S) READ.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm such a numpty sometimes!

I completely forgot that I had a scangauge in my old car (a few years ago now mind)...so I plugged that in, and read the codes - P0087 & P1065. I take it these "low fuel pressure" codes are likely to be fuel filter related, and fitting a genuine Honda one this weekend should sort it. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
First port of call is get the codes read. Until then it's not worth speculating :)

You car isn't on or around 106k is it?
And have you had the temp light flashing ;)

It may be something else but there was a thread on here a few weeks ago with someone with a 2.2 intemitantly dying and throwing up CEL's
Seemed temp sensor/voltage related but he sold the car to a mechanic that knew what it was. So we never knew what the cause was.

I'm sure it's not the same car but this thread may give you some ideas on what to look at

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/275129-orange-temp-light.html

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
The glowplug light coming on well after the engine has started is a pretty good indication that the fuel filter needs replacement.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a lot to report really...bearing in mind the car was fine a few days after it happened, and has been ever since. I can say that the filter I took out wasn't a Honda one, and had been fitted by a monkey. The bracket above the filter hadn't been bolted back in at all, and the priming bulb cover wasn't properly fitted.
I wonder what else I'll find...

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Not a lot to report really...bearing in mind the car was fine a few days after it happened, and has been ever since. I can say that the filter I took out wasn't a Honda one, and had been fitted by a monkey. The bracket above the filter hadn't been bolted back in at all, and the priming bulb cover wasn't properly fitted.
I wonder what else I'll find...
:facepalm: Hopefully that would've sorted it out, inconvenient but "cheap" non the less

1 - 19 of 19 Posts