2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had an issue with fumes on start up on my Accord diesel (2006 model) for a number of months. Particularly bad in cold weather. First thing to say is that it's not the manifold as Honda have already replaced this under warranty.

There is no smell of fumes in the engine compartment either so I dont think it's coming from the exhaust system, especially now that they've changed the manifold.

To me it seems to be related to the heater/air conditioning system. It only seems to be present when the system is running and before the car heats up. The smell dissipates (as far as I can tell anyway) when the engine reaches operating temperature.

The garage are stumped on it too. Anyvbody else experience this or is it just me? I have heard mention on other forums something about the gas assisted heater on cold start up but I cant see how that would bring exhaust fumes into the car?

·
Registered
35 Posts
A number of accord owners experience this as well. I've come to the conclusion its the gas assist heater that kicks in when the outside temperature is low to assist heating. Its not fumes as in engine fumes; its like a smell you'll get from an electric heater that hasn't been used for a while. I think its just the a/c system needs cleaning and when its reversing or whatever its doing it creates this smell. Haven't bothered to get mine cleaned so can't comment on if this actually cures it (and using the aerosol cans won't cure it).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A number of accord owners experience this as well. I've come to the conclusion its the gas assist heater that kicks in when the outside temperature is low to assist heating. Its not fumes as in engine fumes; its like a smell you'll get from an electric heater that hasn't been used for a while. I think its just the a/c system needs cleaning and when its reversing or whatever its doing it creates this smell. Haven't bothered to get mine cleaned so can't comment on if this actually cures it (and using the aerosol cans won't cure it).
I'm actually convinced that it's something to do with the gas assisted heater too but the garage didn't seem to even know what it was.........

To be honest I'm relieved that at least somebody else has experienced the same problem. It's stink and I thought I was the only one with the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts