2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give me.

I am on the look out for a Civic and have been going round most of my local garages to see whats about.

I have got a budget of around 2k and with the Trade In that they are offering me I am looking at cars around the 7k mark.

I have a diesel 207 at the moment and nearly every garage I have been too says I "may" be better off with a petrol as in all fairness 98% of my driving is just local unless for the odd day trip.

I just wanted to know what any of your thoughts are with this please as I know some of you may have gone from Petrol to Diesel or visa versa.

One of the main reasons I was starting to consider a Petrol again is I can get a much lower milage car on a better plate with really good spec for the same price as a Diesel with high milage.

Also are the 1.8 Petrols as lively as a Diesel? I test drove a Diesel the other day and it took off like a scalded cat lol.

Thanks again
Stu

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Before my CTR I had a 1.8 and they do pull quite well to be fair compared to a lot of 1.8 out there. Also they are pretty good on fuel as I was able to do 40+ to the gallon with ease. If you read a lot of threads the one draw back the 2.2 has is clutch issues on the earlier models. Otherwise not much of a difference in my eyes. But do enjoy when you get one your love it.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony I appreciate it.

I had read about the Clutch on here to be honest and that is one of the things with the price range I would be looking at I am only really seeing high milage early models in the Diesel.

I am getting 41mpg acording the the computer out if the 207 so if I can get 35ish out of a 1.8 I would be happy.

I know it may seem abit daft going from my 207 to some people as its only £30 a year tax etc but after having a look at a mates Civic and looking at them at the Garages I have really taking a liking to them.

Stu

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
The 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel have very similar performance, the diesel however has much more torque, far better mpg , and lower road tax .

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Factor in an extra grand put aside for the diesel when the clutch and flywheel needs replacing :mad:

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
The 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel have very similar performance, the diesel however has much more torque, far better mpg , and lower road tax .
......more expensive to maintain and the fuel on average if 6-7p a litre more expensive/ 27/32 p per gallon more.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Yhea i got a 18 mile daily return journey in my 1.8 so about 100 miles a week including going out on some nights/ weekends.

put £25 petrol in at £129.99 . trip pc shows 44 mpg! (had a recent service in july 2012) . otherwise if i was to rag iiiiiiiiiii-vtec it at red lights it then it would get 36 mpg.

what most people forget is that the price of diesal outlay is more expensive per litre and you need to watch the DPF !!!! must admit I have not driven the civic 2.2 diesal but everyone does report the torque is amazing

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Yhea i got a 18 mile daily return journey in my 1.8 so about 100 miles a week including going out on some nights/ weekends.

put £25 petrol in at £129.99 . trip pc shows 44 mpg! (had a recent service in july 2012) . otherwise if i was to rag iiiiiiiiiii-vtec it at red lights it then it would get 36 mpg.

what most people forget is that the price of diesal outlay is more expensive per litre and you need to watch the DPF !!!! must admit I have not driven the civic 2.2 diesal but everyone does report the torque is amazing
UK civic diesel doesn't have a dpf so he's OK there :) mind you I'm on tapatalk and it doesn't say where he's from lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
726 Posts
my 1.8 seems to quite thirsty compared to others but still reasonable, av 41.7 mpg along the A14 to Ipswich last week and 42 down Cornwall however i normally get early 30's going to work and back and around town, my 'B' computer setting says 33.6 av over almost 5k miles .

They say that if u do <10k miles a yr ** gen better off with a petrol as u pay more to buy a diesel mota and unleaded is cheaper than derv too and they get clogged up (dpf) if u only do short stop n start journeys

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
my 1.8 seems to quite thirsty compared to others but still reasonable, av 41.7 mpg along the A14 to Ipswich last week and 42 down Cornwall however i normally get early 30's going to work and back and around town, my 'B' computer setting says 33.6 av over almost 5k miles .

They say that if u do <10k miles a yr ** gen better off with a petrol as u pay more to buy a diesel mota and unleaded is cheaper than derv too and they get clogged up (dpf) if u only do short stop n start journeys
there is no dpf on the uk 8th gen car, so not an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all :adore:for all the help/advice.

Im just on my way to look at a 1.8ES to see what its like, hopefully it will be a good un.

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So are you getting 100 mile to £25 matey or more miles?

Stu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts