2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.....the search for my new car continues.

I'm starting to go slightly crazy I think!!

I want a 3 door civic type s. I just don't know now whether I want the petrol or diesel engine, I fancy a diesel but not sure if I a petrol would suit me better.

I don't have a big commute at all, I will occasionally go to Norwich and Devon (200 mile trips), I have a trailer that can weigh over a tonne at times. I also want to drive across Europe at some point!

Based on that what would you opt for? I don't want to get a diesel and then get stung by the clutch going and having to shell out several hundred quid for it.

I just quite like the idea of the torque from the diesel, plus if the clutch seemed fine potentially re-mapping it but that's very doubtful.

So many things running through my head!!! Someone speak some sense to me....

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Don't buy a car with the idea of remapping it... Just buy a faster car! Remapping never seems to quite work out without the odd issue, usually the clutch on Honda diesels.

Drive a 1.8 petrol and a 2.2 diesel to see what you prefer. I always liked the power delivery of the Honda 2.2, but they aren't problem-free! In contrast the 1.8 petrol is pretty bullet-proof, so I could only ever recommend that with a clear conscience.

Good luck in finding your dream car!

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Petrol for complete piece of mind. Diesel can be reliable but you take the usual risks.

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
The good thing with the Civic diesel is there is no DPF. But then there is the worry of a cracked exhaust manifold. If your main worry is the clutch the last thing you want to be thinking about is a remap. But again a clutch is a wear and tear item, so could fail at any time, regardless if its petrol or diesel. Yes the rush of torque from a turbo diesel is infectious, but if your only doing short commutes you do not want a diesel, all thats going to happen is the EGR will get choked up as will the engine in general.
Personally im not a fan of diesels these days, they are just to complex. Unless you are doing a minimum of 15k a year the cons outweight the benefits of 60mpg every once in a blue moon.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,025 Posts
Don't buy a car with the idea of remapping it... Just buy a faster car! Remapping never seems to quite work out without the odd issue, usually the clutch on Honda diesels.

Drive a 1.8 petrol and a 2.2 diesel to see what you prefer. I always liked the power delivery of the Honda 2.2, but they aren't problem-free! In contrast the 1.8 petrol is pretty bullet-proof, so I could only ever recommend that with a clear conscience.

Good luck in finding your dream car!
I have to agree with Jon on all of that. I wish I had NEVER sunk any sort of money on modifying my 2.2. If you want something better buy a better car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has really thrown a spanner into the works!!
I'm just worried that the mpg will spiral if I get my toe down, can the petrol be thirsty if driven too hard?

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
This has really thrown a spanner into the works!!
I'm just worried that the mpg will spiral if I get my toe down, can the petrol be thirsty if driven too hard?
Drive any car like its a Rental and MPG will suffer. Im showing 42.1 mpg average over the last 2500 miles in my 1.8. The low was 36 mpg during the beast from the east this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been offered a 10 plate tiguan with 78K on it for 4,500 which is now tempting me, my head is scrambled!!
I don't think a tiguan would be great for my street cred mind!
What should I do 😕
I just need a decent all round vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
The good thing with the Civic diesel is there is no DPF. But then there is the worry of a cracked exhaust manifold. If your main worry is the clutch the last thing you want to be thinking about is a remap. But again a clutch is a wear and tear item, so could fail at any time, regardless if its petrol or diesel. Yes the rush of torque from a turbo diesel is infectious, but if your only doing short commutes you do not want a diesel, all thats going to happen is the EGR will get choked up as will the engine in general.
Personally im not a fan of diesels these days, they are just to complex. Unless you are doing a minimum of 15k a year the cons outweight the benefits of 60mpg every once in a blue moon.
Think I slipped up buying a 12 year old 2.2,only do 5000 miles a year ,to be fair after two years and mileage of 155k its still on original clutch and no issues-bit concerned about your mention of the EGR though!
But what a fantastic car the 8th generation is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a friend's parent that is selling it. She's getting a new tiguan and VW offered her 4.5K in part ex and she was happy with that so I'm quite tempted to have that.

Just have absolutely no idea what to do now

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
Think I slipped up buying a 12 year old 2.2,only do 5000 miles a year ,to be fair after two years and mileage of 155k its still on original clutch and no issues-bit concerned about your mention of the EGR though!
But what a fantastic car the 8th generation is.
No offence but I think people love to think of their cars being able to do 60 mpg, when the type of driving they do they will barely achieve half that and it doesn't warranty a diesel. Guy across the road just bought his son a 65 plate BMW116d. He works at Morrisons less than 2 miles away. Cant wait to see the isuees he has with the DPF/EGR.
An elderly neighbour bought a diesel Fusion to go to the same morrisons just for his shopping 5 times a week(got him out the house, hence why he went so often). Ok to be fair he never had an issue with it before he passed away but when your doing barely 15 miles a week you dont require a diesel in any shape form or fashion. TBH doing that sort of miles a week youd be cheaper overall with a Taxi.

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
It's a friend's parent that is selling it. She's getting a new tiguan and VW offered her 4.5K in part ex and she was happy with that so I'm quite tempted to have that.

Just have absolutely no idea what to do now
Pffft its a no brainer then. Buy it, run it for a month, say it wasnt really for you and then sell it on and make about £2k.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
An elderly neighbour bought a diesel Fusion to go to the same morrisons just for his shopping 5 times a week(got him out the house, hence why he went so often). Ok to be fair he never had an issue with it before he passed away but when your doing barely 15 miles a week you dont require a diesel in any shape form or fashion. TBH doing that sort of miles a week youd be cheaper overall with a Taxi.

My Mum's old car was a diesel (pre DPF), now got a petrol... but she does 1300 miles a year. Didn't fancy a DPF car.

The 2.2 Civic is fine if you do 3k a year, or 30k a year.... very versatile, you might need a clutch on a pre 2009 car... but that's it. Get a diesel, I've done 110k in mine, just shy of 100k on this clutch... it's brilliant.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
There are quite a few councils who seem to be on the verge of hitting diesels with a surcharge for entering their town.

If you are likely to do that a lot or just don't want any surcharge then put that into the equation.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I do 25k per year so Diesel all the way for me. Current one has a DPF so if I ever change where I work to closer to home, it'll be a change back to petrol. Saying that, even new petrol motors coming out soon will be fitted with particulate filters.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts