Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between AC and climate control
On the dual zone system?

Cheers
Phil

·
Keep On Vtec'ing!
553 Posts
A/C is just cold air and climate control is well.....controlling the temperature by using warmer air lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
shameless
537 Posts
A/C is like using a heater on an old car but it will go colder- you adjust speed/heat/direction manually

climate control goes one stage further allowing you to set the desired temp then letting the system make the adjustments to fan speed etc to hold that temp in car

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done! I'm a supporter now Alan2605, didn't even know it was an option; especially after all those questions.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Done! I'm a supporter now Alan2605, didn't even know it was an option; especially after all those questions.
Thanks
Hope you enjoy the forum. There is a wealth of information already on the site.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Air conditioning is just that air being conditioned and fresh air being brought in "cleaned" and into cabin and old taken out.

Climate control is controlling temperature

When cc is on so is ac

From most tests cc and ac barely reduce mpg not enough to really care and you reduce mpg far far far fr more opening a window!

I'd rather drive and get 1 mpg less per tank but in lovely comfortable temperature.

·
Registered
161 Posts
CC usually

After all these questions wouldn't it be nice to support the site and buy a sticker http://www.civinfo.com/forum/site-s...s/1206-buy-civinfo-stickers-support-site.html Thanks
Surely the effect to mpg would be wholly dependant on ambient temperature conditions and settings. For example, on a hot summer day, whether you have AC on or climate set to auto 20, the effects will be the same. On a cold day the demand on the AC will be low or non existent, so the effect to mpg will be minimal.

Basically the warmer and more humid it is, the more effect you'll have to your fuel consumption. To achieve a desired cabin temperature/feeling, whether by manual AC or climate control will require the same amount of energy. Just leave it on auto 20 and leave it to do its thing.

Remember it is designed in auto mode to be as economical as possible. When you manually change the settings it over-rides the auto settings and just does what you ask it, so if anything it will be worse. So by manually changing settings could mean that it is running at a higher duty cycle than in auto mode (because you've asked it for different settings). If you want to save fuel turn AC off, keep your windows closed and sweat it out!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Like the idea of Auto 20, all the time
Sometimes I find 20 a little too warm in the winter and I shift it down to 19. On a bright sunny day I sometimes shift it to 21 or 22. Otherwise I find it works great and I get pretty decent fuel economy.

If you're really looking to save fuel, it's the winter you should look at. Starting the car and leaving it idle to warm up probably uses more fuel than AC throughout the rest of the year. Also stealing heat from the engine to warm the cabin is a pretty bad idea. When an engine is cold it produces really bad mpg, so in the winter you should keep the heater off until the engine is warm. But like AC in the summer, I am prepared to sacrifice a few mpg to take the edge off. Once the cabin reaches a steady state it doesn't use much energy to maintain equilibrium.

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Max in winter, min in summer. Sorted! :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
20C too warm for winter?

I put my CC on 32C in winter.
I think your control units are different in aus. Our numbers don't go up as high in Europe (16-29). It's not degrees though, it's a suggested feeling. Psychologically for you lot 32 isn't that hot, whereas for us 32C would be record breaking summer! Even so, I would say 32 is an abnormally high setting for the auto climate. Whether you have it set to 32 or 16, when it's cold outside it will still try and warm the cabin up as quickly as possible. When the engine is cold setting the fan higher just blows more cold air at you, so with wind chill you'll feel colder. Diesels have the auxiliary electric bar heater to compensate for the colder running engine so this helps on cold mornings

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
From most tests cc and ac barely reduce mpg not enough to really care and you reduce mpg far far far fr more opening a window!
I think I read somewhere that 50mph was the magic number - below this open your window, above use the A/C.

TBH most of the year my heater is on max anyway :lol:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think your control units are different in aus. Our numbers don't go up as high in Europe (16-29). It's not degrees though, it's a suggested feeling. Psychologically for you lot 32 isn't that hot, whereas for us 32C would be record breaking summer! Even so, I would say 32 is an abnormally high setting for the auto climate. Whether you have it set to 32 or 16, when it's cold outside it will still try and warm the cabin up as quickly as possible. When the engine is cold setting the fan higher just blows more cold air at you, so with wind chill you'll feel colder. Diesels have the auxiliary electric bar heater to compensate for the colder running engine so this helps on cold mornings
I remember one day last summer (in Sydney) when the iMid briefly read 49 degrees . Actual reported temperature from the radio news bulletin was a scorching 47.5 degrees. Yet the AC still managed to keep me reasonably cool.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I think I read somewhere that 50mph was the magic number - below this open your window, above use the A/C.

TBH most of the year my heater is on max anyway :lol:
Tbf I don't care for mpg I'm lucky to see 28mpg max in my 1.8 with the mods and hooning around town so may as well have air con cc and occasionally windows open at the same time lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts