2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Different Tyres on Front Axel and Back

Tyre Choice 
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  burgerking1972 
#1 ·
Hi all, I drive a Honda Civic Type R GT that have the Bridgestone Potenza's (2nd set) all round.
One of the front tyres is getting low and I have been looking at the Toyo Proxies T1R with a view to replacing all four eventually with this tyre (the other 3 have a fair bit of life)

Im willing to sacrifice the other front tyre to have a matching pair on fronts, however will there be any issues because I will be running the Toyo's on the front and the Bridgestone on the back?

Look forward to your answers.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I've never noticed a problem running different tyres front and back - and I've done so many times when changing brands similar to what you're planning on doing.

#5 · (Edited)
As long as the tyre "type" is the same (speed, weight, dimensions, etc.,) there's no issue -

#7 ·
spreed? jdr send me some of that morphine mate if its stopping you spelling correctly it will do wonders for my leg! sent from my phone
Actually, the 'morphine fuzz' is quite awful ...

#9 ·
I'd always change two tyres on the same axle at the same time, never bothered me running different front - rear though.

Be wary of buying T1R's with the view to getting more for the rear in months to come. As far as I'm aware they have been discontinued so you will struggle

#12 ·
Issues with Potenza on front and Turanza on rear

Hi all,

I have recently replaced my worn out ER300 225/45 R17 91Y on the front and replaced them with S001 on my 1.8 Civic and started experiencing tyre pull to the right. The garage where I got the tyres tried swapping the tyres side to side and it still pulled to the right. So they checked the camber and toe angles of the front and they are ok, but suspect it could be a problem with the fixed rear axle. But I am certain I haven't slid my car and hit the kerb or gone over a major pothole. So I went to a Honda dealership to look at it for £78 and they have simply just swapped my original rear pair of ER300s to the front and the new S001 to the rear. Then the problem went away. I have contacted Bridgestone and they have recommended I should stick to ER300 as the S001 are not compatible with it. What are your thoughts and has anyone come across this problem?

#14 ·
No problems whatsoever with that, tbh. I've been running different makes front and back since I've owned the car.

Only issue I can see is if you are doing some serious racing on the track, but then you wouldn't be running road tyres anyway, would you?! ;)

On a minor (and pedantic) note, I would fit the grippier tyres to the rear axle, to make the car's roadholding more predictable (understeer's probably easier to correct than oversteer on the public road).

#15 ·
I have got hankook's on the front and today fitted falken fk452 on the back never had any probs with any car ive had with different tyre's on front and back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.