2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just come from a car with a normal speedometer, has anyone else had a snag judging the rate you are accellerating at? For example, joining a motorway, I used to be able to keep a rough eye on where the needle was and its rate of movement to judge how fast I was accellerating up to the limit (and beyond :twisted: ).

This is a good bit more difficult with a digital speedo - how do you all get on?

Glen

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You kind of get used to it. The only problem it poses is one mentioned in the bugs/faults page. That it is normal in the fact it over reads your speed, but the perceived accuracy the digital display gives you makes the difference more noticable. The example I was given was in a normal car with an analogue speedo, you might read your speed as 'just over forty' whereas the civic displays a big bold 42. When you use a GPS that says you are realy doing 39, you get annoyed that the number is wrong. You won't really mind with a traditional speedo, though.

The other thing I have noticed is that trying to hold a speed, with or without Cruise Control, the fluctuations of 1 or 2 mph really show. A needle hovering around a speed on a dial doesn't show so much when the speed varies.

Now I am used to it, I wouldn't change it. Or would I :?:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I agree with Pottsy, but minus the wink, the rate of acceleration when joining from a slip road is of little consequence, providing your speed is matching those on the first lane and you have picked your spot to join, you just accelerate more or less to get to the spot you have got in your mind.

The best thing with the speedo and the rate of acceleration (certainly with the 2.2 iCDTi) is to see how many numbers you can jump, away from the lights 3, 4, 10 , 17, 25. (These numbers are not based on any actual events, my memory is not that good, might have a better look later)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
richierich said:
The best thing with the speedo and the rate of acceleration (certainly with the 2.2 iCDTi) is to see how many numbers you can jump, away from the lights 3, 4, 10 , 17, 25. (These numbers are not based on any actual events, my memory is not that good, might have a better look later)
I am sure the best thing to be looking at when pulling away at light is THE ROAD! ;-)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
If its straight and clear, eyes down! :wink:

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
richierich said:
If its straight and clear, eyes down! :wink:
Or check out the others from your rear view mirror. :wink:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
That would be one reason to have the camera working when going forwards, mind you, it would have to have zoom capability.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
You should'nt look at your speedo. It's all to do with judgement. The speed of the vehicles, is the gap big enough to filter into. Down to experience really.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
big enough to filter into
For London traffic the quote should read "small enough to force your way into"

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Your into a different ball game now, Richie. Like survival of the fittest, or maddest, or daftest. I could go on, and on. :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
BTW, is there any way to change the refresh rate of the digital speedo display? I know that a too fast refresh rate will make the numbers flick around like crazy, but I still wouldn't mind it being a little bit faster...

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Tbh I've never ever noticed it being a problem - I use the rev counter much more than the speedo

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
BTW, is there any way to change the refresh rate of the digital speedo display? I know that a too fast refresh rate will make the numbers flick around like crazy, but I still wouldn't mind it being a little bit faster...
You mean polling rate.

I want it to be a little higher too so the numbers dont jump but dont think it can be done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts