2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, this is what it is. I want to disable Start & Stop permanently in my 2014 1.6 i-DTEC. I just find it useless for my driving.
What I've done was to disconnect the plugs in the engine bay, near the hood lock. It works just fine, but I do get the warning that the hood is open everytime I start the car. It's bearable.

But does anyone know how to fiddle with the wires in the on/off button, to make the off mode the default setting when starting the car?

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
something id be interested in knowing also
as if i ever get round to it im looking for a 1.6 dtec to replace my 2.2 ctdi
almost bought a pre reg 1 with 10 mile on clock but just cant bring myself to spend that much on a car when the only real thing wrong with mine apart from age and miles is it will need a clutch sooner rather than later

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,757 Posts
From what I remember when this was first asked there is no way to permanently disable it.

Just remember to switch it off before each journey, which apparently is an option.

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
Ta

Mine's auto so is permanently disabled so no button.
Lucky you. Mine is automatic also but cannot be disabled permanently. I have to press the button to disable it every time I start the CRV.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
there's circuit info around to auto disable it at start up. Essentially it emulates button press at ignition on.

born2bastel » Start-Stop Automatik deaktivieren mit Memoryfunktion. looks like it takes a power-on feed (ignition on) and connects in parallel with the existing button.

I'm not sure if we have + or - circuit so a bit of research would need to be done to confirm what honda use. It's a start for those motivated enough to try

Reactions: joooe

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems it doesn't work for Honda. I know nothing about electronics too. The plug in the engine bay will do. Thanks!
I have build a few of this modules from born2bastel and they work great on 9G Civics. You will need the plus-switched version. I have a few PCBs professionally made for this project laying aroung as well as the other parts too. I you are interested it that...

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have build a few of this modules from born2bastel and they work great on 9G Civics. You will need the plus-switched version. I have a few PCBs professionally made for this project laying aroung as well as the other parts too. I you are interested it that...
So if I buy this module from you, is it easy to install? Or does it requires soldering and wire cutting?

·
Registered
11 Posts
joooe, take a look at this: Civic-FX.net - Forum Honda Civic ab 2006 (FK, FN, FD) - Thema anzeigen - Start / Stop Automatik abschaltbar machen

There are some pics on how the install is made. It's not that complicated. I did not solder it - I just put the wires inside the connector in 2 or 3 layers when the connector lid was open, and then just closed the lid firmly. You need to make sure there is no short to the other wires. Wire cutting is not necessary. You can solder them if you want, but you will burn the connector a bit as there is so little space for the iron tip. You can use ScotchLok wire connectors for that purpose as well. Aditionally the working position inside the car is very bad at this place.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
joooe, take a look at this: Civic-FX.net - Forum Honda Civic ab 2006 (FK, FN, FD) - Thema anzeigen - Start / Stop Automatik abschaltbar machen

There are some pics on how the install is made. It's not that complicated. I did not solder it - I just put the wires inside the connector in 2 or 3 layers when the connector lid was open, and then just closed the lid firmly. You need to make sure there is no short to the other wires. Wire cutting is not necessary. You can solder them if you want, but you will burn the connector a bit as there is so little space for the iron tip. You can use ScotchLok wire connectors for that purpose as well. Aditionally the working position inside the car is very bad at this place.
Seems pretty easy! I'll send you a pm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello QBJack
Do you still have circuit from born2bastel ? For civic 9th
I live in Germany
Many thanks
Regards

·
Registered
891 Posts
Why disable such a useful device and chance bricking something.
Used intelligently there is no problem with it.
It has been argued that there is extra wear on the starter and battery, but I've had no problem. I Would not think problems are widespread because it rarely appears on this forum.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Why disable such a useful device and chance bricking something.
Because Honda built in a finite number of operations before it bricks the starter motor and 2 relays and requires programming time with a HDS.

Number of Starter Operations
The ECM counts the number of starter operations.
If the number of starter operations exceeds the setting limit, the auto idle stop is disabled, and the auto idle stop indicator (amber)* in the gauge control module (tach) comes on. In this case, the starter motor, starter cut relay 1, and starter cut relay 2 need to be replaced, and it is needed to clear the counter of "STARTER and STARTER CUT RELAY" with the HDS.
It's been discussed several times on these boards, as we don't know what this finite number is I prefer not to take the chance on a big bill and switch it off every time

·
Registered
891 Posts
Because Honda built in a finite number of operations before it bricks the starter motor and 2 relays and requires programming time with a HDS.

It's been discussed several times on these boards, as we don't know what this finite number is I prefer not to take the chance on a big bill and switch it off every time
Interesting not aware of that although I cannot understand the logic of it. Surely if this is the case there would be thousands of irate Honda Civic owners up in arms.
Sounds as though the 'counter' should be disabled before it gets to that point..

·
Registered
3 Posts
the windshield defroster will shut the Idle stop automatically off, I am not sure if keeping the windshield defroster always on will have a negative side effect later on, but for now it doing very good job canceling the Idle Stop. But I would like to have a permanent solution if any one had an idea.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts