2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im looking for new discs and pads for back. Im driving 1.8 2009.

Cant decide if should I go for trw, ferodo, pagid or brembo. Help me lads :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently spend some time investigating (mostly searching this forum) and ended up buying the cheapest and most easily available (for me) of the above.. Pagid.
I was disappointed the first few miles, but once the brakes were run-in they feel just like the original Honda brakes.
Its winter now so the car is more or less permanently dirty, so cant really tell if there is more or less brake dust.
Because i only changed pads on the rear i was looking for something to match the original i have on the front. However if I were to change both front and rear I would pick some of EBC’s low dust pads.

·
Registered
2007 2.2 Cdti Civic
19 Posts
Just changed all four corners on Monday, personally I always go brembo, I put pagid on a previous car and didn’t like the feel even after bedding in.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Where will you be buying the stuff from? Not all Brembo is equal, I've had Brembo from eurocarparts and it was garbage but Brembo from elsewhere was good. I've used Pagid from ecp and it's been good and what I'd probably use, the rears don't do a lot so don't get too hung up on different brands. I put Eicher on a mates car and he's more than happy with them. As I said earlier the only brand from ecp I'd avoid is Brembo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like to order from autodoc, cant go wrong with them 🤞 unfortunately they don't have Pagid..., but i hope brembo from them will do.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I fitted TRW all round, brakes and pads.

They are fine for road use.

Having a few issues with the callipers and pads fouling but I blame the shims and my own bad mechanical work...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I fitted Brembo pads to the front, the old discs (brand unknown) were ok, on the back I fitted febi-bilstein discs & blueprint pads, after 2 & a half years they are all fine, hard to tell with the backs but there was an improvement when I fitted them, the Brembos on the front are definitely much better than whatever was on it and have still have strong positive stopping power. I bought them on Amazon when they were cheap.
I've also had good results in the past on other cars with Borg & Beck discs & pads.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
TRW make the Civic's callipers if that means anything.

Likely not however!

I sorted my braking issues today, annoyingly the calliper carriers are slightly different sized on either side or the pads I have are not precision machined.

As I needed to refit the shims to one side as otherwise the pads jangled in there however they fitted without shims on the other side. As a result I've just re-fitted shims to both sides to hopefully balance out how they wear and bite if that makes any difference...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've just installed Ferodo DS Performance to the other car, fronts only for now but got a rear set on order too.

They've transformed the braking even though they haven't been completely bedded in as I've only driven about 20 miles in them so far.

There is no DS Performance for the regular Civic front callipers, are there any fast road pads out there?

As far as I can see, there is only DS2500 which are more of a track pad and various EBC stuff which I don't feel like going near.

My TRW OEM grade pads are meh, fine enough but not that good now I'm used to them. To be honest, there's not much difference from the old pads/discs other than I can admire my own handiwork between the wheel spokes...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
... search Tarox Strada Civic Mk8 on eBay and you'll see them currently available with 20% off.
Tarox Strada Front Brake Pads for Honda Civic Mk8 1.8 (2006 >) | eBay

Guess these are the ones.

On second thoughts I might just stick with the TRW pads, having driven my other car and the Civic back to back the Honda's brakes are fine as they are. Plus I paid £200 for pads and discs just before Xmas.

Reading the Tarox stats, they appear to be a pad very similar in make up to the Ferodo DS2500, do they glaze over and suffer from regular driving? As I've found that's been an issue in the past with performance pads, although that's nothing a good hard stamp every now and again can't cure...

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I've never noticed any issues with mine glazing, although I drive the car hard. Saying that my Mrs just used the car for a week and she never even brings the car on boost, I drove it after her and the brakes felt perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2013 9th gen EX GT 1.8 petrol
86 Posts
If you can brake hard enough to engage ABS then you can brake hard enough to lock your wheels.
At this point bigger brakes or better brakes will only make you lock your wheels sooner.

If you can engage ABS, you need better tyres because they can’t deal with the forces your car can generate.

If your tyres have enough grip that you can’t engage ABS, then your brakes need improving.

The same is true of racing and daily commuting;
if you can lock your wheels your tyres aren’t good enough, and if you can’t lock your wheels then your brakes aren’t good enough.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
If you can brake hard enough to engage ABS then you can brake hard enough to lock your wheels.
At this point bigger brakes or better brakes will only make you lock your wheels sooner.

If you can engage ABS, you need better tyres because they can’t deal with the forces your car can generate.

If your tyres have enough grip that you can’t engage ABS, then your brakes need improving.

The same is true of racing and daily commuting;
if you can lock your wheels your tyres aren’t good enough, and if you can’t lock your wheels then your brakes aren’t good enough.
I could activate abs at xxx mph with my Civics stock brakes, the issue came with repeated hard stops. Uprated pads/discs/fluids will often improve things but it can get to a point where you simply need a bigger brake setup to cope with the heat.
There's a dual carriage way I drive on that is broken up with a series of roundabouts, my diesel Civic was fine for the first roundabout, second was still okay but by the third the brake fade was horrendous. I had two options, drive slower or fit bigger brakes... I went bigger brakes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts