2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I fitted TRW all round, brakes and pads.

They are fine for road use.

Having a few issues with the callipers and pads fouling but I blame the shims and my own bad mechanical work...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
TRW make the Civic's callipers if that means anything.

Likely not however!

I sorted my braking issues today, annoyingly the calliper carriers are slightly different sized on either side or the pads I have are not precision machined.

As I needed to refit the shims to one side as otherwise the pads jangled in there however they fitted without shims on the other side. As a result I've just re-fitted shims to both sides to hopefully balance out how they wear and bite if that makes any difference...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've just installed Ferodo DS Performance to the other car, fronts only for now but got a rear set on order too.

They've transformed the braking even though they haven't been completely bedded in as I've only driven about 20 miles in them so far.

There is no DS Performance for the regular Civic front callipers, are there any fast road pads out there?

As far as I can see, there is only DS2500 which are more of a track pad and various EBC stuff which I don't feel like going near.

My TRW OEM grade pads are meh, fine enough but not that good now I'm used to them. To be honest, there's not much difference from the old pads/discs other than I can admire my own handiwork between the wheel spokes...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
... search Tarox Strada Civic Mk8 on eBay and you'll see them currently available with 20% off.
Tarox Strada Front Brake Pads for Honda Civic Mk8 1.8 (2006 >) | eBay

Guess these are the ones.

On second thoughts I might just stick with the TRW pads, having driven my other car and the Civic back to back the Honda's brakes are fine as they are. Plus I paid £200 for pads and discs just before Xmas.

Reading the Tarox stats, they appear to be a pad very similar in make up to the Ferodo DS2500, do they glaze over and suffer from regular driving? As I've found that's been an issue in the past with performance pads, although that's nothing a good hard stamp every now and again can't cure...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'm not inclined to agree with locking brakes or ABS means that tyres are not up to the task, even in the dry.

A good hard stamp on even rubbish brakes should get a wheel lock or ABS, otherwise you have some serious issues.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
@fatwelshboy Having run the Tarox Strada pads in I'm actually not impressed! Have driven 800+ miles with them now and bedded them in early etc

The braking is about the same as OEM when cold and they really need some fairly big heat in them to start performing.

Once warm they're excellent, immediate sharp bite but off the boil they're just like the regular TRW ones I had on before.

Half tempted to try Yellowstuff all round...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yeah brakes are in the eye of the beholder/user.

I'd much rather something had instant cold bite. I love the Ferodo DS Performance pads in my other car as they're there instantly with a sharp bite.

Whereas the Tarox are a bit OEM like until they're stood on. Can't fault their warmed up performance.

Have looked at some YT reviews of Yellowstuff and apparently they're the same, fairly OEM performance from cold and needs warming up.

I might get rear Yellowstuff pads to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Was worth the money putting them on the rears. It's transformed the pedal to what I deem to be good. No dead travel and a good firm bite on cold.

I don't know why it's not talked about more, that's the second car I've put performance pads on the rear which has hugely improved braking....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts