2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 9th gen EX GT 1.8 petrol
89 Posts
I could activate abs at xxx mph with my Civics stock brakes, the issue came with repeated hard stops. Uprated pads/discs/fluids will often improve things but it can get to a point where you simply need a bigger brake setup to cope with the heat.
There's a dual carriage way I drive on that is broken up with a series of roundabouts, my diesel Civic was fine for the first roundabout, second was still okay but by the third the brake fade was horrendous. I had two options, drive slower or fit bigger brakes... I went bigger brakes.

I’d argue that if you’re getting brake fade on a public road, you’re driving too fast.

Dual Carriageway is 70mph limit.

·
Registered
2013 9th gen EX GT 1.8 petrol
89 Posts
I’d argue that if you’re getting brake fade on a public road, you’re driving too fast.

Dual Carriageway is 70mph limit.

Also, no matter what speed you’re travelling at, if you can lock your brakes or engage ABS then your tyres aren’t good enough - your brakes can overpower your tyres so you need better tyres to be able to use all of your brakes.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
If the brakes can't lock the wheels they aren't up to the job. No matter how much grip they offer the tyres should always be the limiting factor. The 2.2 diesel is a heavy car and easily has the worst brakes of any car I've owned, come to think of it I've never driven any car/van with brakes as poor. I've some incredible roads on my doorstep and just some moderate driving would overwhelm the brakes, I put the Accord CU2 front setup on my car and the difference was beyond words.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm not inclined to agree with locking brakes or ABS means that tyres are not up to the task, even in the dry.

A good hard stamp on even rubbish brakes should get a wheel lock or ABS, otherwise you have some serious issues.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
@fatwelshboy Having run the Tarox Strada pads in I'm actually not impressed! Have driven 800+ miles with them now and bedded them in early etc

The braking is about the same as OEM when cold and they really need some fairly big heat in them to start performing.

Once warm they're excellent, immediate sharp bite but off the boil they're just like the regular TRW ones I had on before.

Half tempted to try Yellowstuff all round...

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
@Negativvv I drive a Golf but I'm really happy with mine. They have a bit more bite from cold, than stock pads, and get better and better with heat. I like they don't bite too hard when cold as I've driven cars with performance pads that are really snatchy and not nice to drive in traffic/around town.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Yeah brakes are in the eye of the beholder/user.

I'd much rather something had instant cold bite. I love the Ferodo DS Performance pads in my other car as they're there instantly with a sharp bite.

Whereas the Tarox are a bit OEM like until they're stood on. Can't fault their warmed up performance.

Have looked at some YT reviews of Yellowstuff and apparently they're the same, fairly OEM performance from cold and needs warming up.

I might get rear Yellowstuff pads to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Was worth the money putting them on the rears. It's transformed the pedal to what I deem to be good. No dead travel and a good firm bite on cold.

I don't know why it's not talked about more, that's the second car I've put performance pads on the rear which has hugely improved braking....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting read from above. I've got Pagid discs & OE Honda pads front and rear on my FN2. Can't remember when everything was last changed, but the front pads were March 2021 and the rears 2019 I think.

A combination of pedal travel and not knowing my brake set up history off the top of my head is now prompting me to get the whole lot changed soon(for peace of mind). I would like to change the pads as the Honda ones are now spewing out brake dust all over the alloys which pees me off immensely. Have had Yellow stuff pads with Pagid discs before on my old EP3, but only on the front, so could go with this again.

At least the rear calipers can get a good clean up when changing the pads, that's if the clips don't break when removing the old pads.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Could go Brembo?
Got Brembo discs & pads all round on my FN2.
Since Pagid do sets of slider pins I'm sure they do a set of those pad clips, check with ECP

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, I could go with the Brembo's. How do you drive yours and how do the brakes feel coming to a halt off the motorway slips at 70mph?

As for the rear pad clips. ECP do sell these for £12. Noted for future ref.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
334 Posts
I've got EBC Yellow Stuff all round, with standard OEM discs on my FN2, to cut to the chase, it's not having anything else now. Very impressed with how much better they feel. I also changed the brake hoses for HEL braided lines, which has given the pedal a much more convincing feeling when you push it. It wasn't cheap, but frankly I'm happy and feel it was money well spent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice one Squibble, that does sound good.

I've been looking back through the service history. It had OE front discs & stoptech pads @40000 miles in December 2016. So that's 60k miles since new discs and there's pronounced lippage on those now @101k. In that time three sets of front pads aswell, which were OE every time.

Rear OE Honda discs and pads were done in January 2019 - after that service the brake pedal was the best it has ever felt, so I think it's time for a full change at the front and new pads at the rear.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Yes, I could go with the Brembo's. How do you drive yours and how do the brakes feel coming to a halt off the motorway slips at 70mph?
I tend to drive quick and never felt that the brakes are lacking in bite.
Don't do much Mway driving as the nearest is 30 miles away but do a lot of dual carriageways.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts