2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, your opinions are sought here; I get the DVD disc error message when running my back up disc, which does not happen with the original disc of the same version,so maybe a dirty optical reader..... what would the preferred method of lens cleaning be, a cleaner disc or a squirt with canned compressed air?

Regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Hi all, your opinions are sought here; I get the DVD disc error message when running my back up disc, which does not happen with the original disc of the same version,so maybe a dirty optical reader..... what would the preferred method of lens cleaning be, a cleaner disc or a squirt with canned compressed air?

Regards

Dave
bad back up disc.needs to be done on a Verbatim DVD

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
What version are you making a back up from... I believe that anything after 3.23 has a VERY unusual copy protection method that very few have managed to bypass.

If you are backing up a version prior to 3.23 then always use Verbatim DVD's...they MUST be dual layer too!! These have proved to be the only brand that will work in my Civic... and one final point, make sure that the layer break is set to the exact same figure as the original otherwise the disk will NOT work.

Let us know how you go on :D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 3.23 disc and it works for a couple of hours maybe more and then the error message; I am using Verbatim media too, dual layer and still get the problem, even after I have re-burned to another disc . I have a cleaning disc which I use on the domestic dvd player but was thinking that a skoosh with some compressed air (they sell it in aerosols at Maplin) might be better....

Cheers

Dave

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
Certainly sounds like a dirty lense to me?... I'd give it a clean using either a lense cleaning kit or the compressed air as you say from Maplins.

When I originally made a backup of my 3.23 I was getting the "dirty disc" error, however, was using a cheaper brand disk... As soon as I burned to Verbatim all was good and never looked back...

Hope you get it sorted fast mate, it can be like banging your head against a brick wall in these situations lol

EDIT: ...Ohh just a quick one... they are DVD+DL aren't they... Not -DL? I'm not sure the drive likes 'minus' disks!

Reactions: Trabant Dave

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have reburned on Verbatim @ 1x and used a Maplin cd cleaner - they were out of stock on DVD ones and for a fiver I thought 'What the hell'.
Anyway, the little brushes were white before use, and grubby grey after, as well as a number of flock fibres that had stuck to the disc electrostatically.... used the car with new disc last night and no error message, so fingers x'ed

Thanks guys

Dave

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,257 Posts
The sooner these built-in SatNav's use solid state technology the better.

Moving/spinning parts with our suspension was always a recipe for disaster.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
The sooner these built-in SatNav's use solid state technology the better.

Moving/spinning parts with our suspension was always a recipe for disaster.
I think the CR-Z already does, so hopefully the 2012 Civic will do as well :D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Touchwood no problems since I used a CD cleaning disc - having said that it will probably fall over again tomorrow

haha

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts