2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ? guys/girls

This is my first post and iv made a choise to buy my self a 2009 honda civic type s and boy i am happy ? but i want to get new discs and brake pads

My local honda dealer said £270 for brembo pads and discs from honda ? f1 auto center quote £200 for brembo i looked at euro car parts for some and works out for the rear brembo discs and pads 80.00

Now my question to you grease monkeys out there is do u rate brembo or is there something better i should use also vented or drilled or plain discs?

Thanks for the help in avdance also sorry for the bad grammar and english

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
Brembos will be fine for daily driver duties.

Drilled and grooved are a waste of time for a daily. Drilled can cause disks to fracture and grooves cause noise when braking from dial carriageway speeds. So I wouldn't bother.

Get disks that are treated against corrosion otherwise they will look pants in minutes and won't last as long.

Check the MTEC website, they often have offers on with disks/pads. You can select treated and plain (none grooved/etc) in your basket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys ? if i brought them any garage will fit them sorry for the dumb questions ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers mate and lastly can you combine ebc red stuff pads and eather brembo or mtec discs

Also what would have you guys personaly used thanks for been so patient ??

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
Yup, you can mix and match pads/disks.

I ran MTEC plain vented disks and Mintex pads. The pads were fine for daily driver duties but suffered a loss of bite when used hard for a few miles.

Upgrading pads is a common option to improve braking consistency/bite. Be careful tho as some expensive pads are hopeless when cold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, you can mix and match pads/disks.

I ran MTEC plain vented disks and Mintex pads. The pads were fine for daily driver duties but suffered a loss of bite when used hard for a few miles.

Upgrading pads is a common option to improve braking consistency/bite. Be careful tho as some expensive pads are hopeless when cold.
The comment about the drilled discs cracking depends entirely on the material the disks are made of.. yes the cheap iron ***** will crack eventually but the high carbon steel won't... But there is a substantial cost difference

The upside to drilled is they "clean the pads" and disperse water and hot gasses so help the brakes work more efficiently for more of the time... The downside is a shorter life span on pads and the drilled iron discs don't like heatcycling nor do they like getting wet when they get warm.

Edit: for an example of high carbon steel look at Tarox,.D2 and unless I'm mistaken I'm sure the EBC do them too.. but then you're looking £340+ just for 2 discs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts