2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of changing disc brakes to bigger ones especially on the rear, any ideas? the rear ones looks naf compared to a beamer i saw over the weekend, makes the TR look dingy

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mmm personally I wouldn't do this - when you brake the weight is shifted to the front where most of the braking is done. If you up grade the rears without changing the brake bias all you will do is lock up the rear end.

Anyway I don't think they look that bad :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm personally I wouldn't do this - when you brake the weight is shifted to the front where most of the braking is done. If you up grade the rears without changing the brake bias all you will do is lock up the rear end.

Anyway I don't think they look that bad :)
they dont look that bad but they look crap compared to the front, how much would it be to change the rears to look like the front?

·
Registered
223 Posts
You would need to fit an adjustable brake bias valve which means cutting into the rear brake lines - sounds bad and generally is due to the fact that this valve needs to be in a position so that it can be adjusted.

Bear in mind that for normal road driving you will be adjusting this valve so that your new looking bigger brakes exert the same force as your old ones :rolleyes: I am sure that many people would disagree with this concept and argue that more braking can be done with the rears. The type R as I have read already had a reputation for shaking the back end during heavy braking and anymore force would exagerate the problem. Stiffer suspension (ouch) and anti roll bars would help but for what reason?

If you want better brakes upgrade the front discs and pads and leave it at that :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would need to fit an adjustable brake bias valve which means cutting into the rear brake lines - sounds bad and generally is due to the fact that this valve needs to be in a position so that it can be adjusted.

Bear in mind that for normal road driving you will be adjusting this valve so that your new looking bigger brakes exert the same force as your old ones :rolleyes: I am sure that many people would disagree with this concept and argue that more braking can be done with the rears. The type R as I have read already had a reputation for shaking the back end during heavy braking and anymore force would exagerate the problem. Stiffer suspension (ouch) and anti roll bars would help but for what reason?

If you want better brakes upgrade the front discs and pads and leave it at that :D

:( you just destroyed my dream idea

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The Civic already has auto brake bias (the VSA does it, and it's called EBD). Changing the rear brakes is a really bad thing to do for all the reasons mentioned above, but the VSA would either compensate if it's clever, or fail altogether if it's not.

You really want to have the smallest (well, lightest) brake discs you can get away with. They are very heavy and are all unsprung weight. Just the tiniest increase in unsprung weight destroys grip and handling. I have an F1 one here, and it would look tiny on a Mini.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more problems to complain, my citi pack for the TR has half stuck on and half hangin off, 3rd gear problem (a real problem!), rattling glove box (annoying) and serious bad boy buzzing from the lights on the front roof console (again mind bending), when window is wound down in the rain the rain literally 'flows in' (not a problem in my old beamer as the rain flows into the door groves and not into the car, also this may be a very stupid question but does the CTR have traction control? becuase I still do wheel spins all the time (my poor tyres)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so far my experience with the CTR is so so, happy but just loads of small things which ruin it, honda I asked for a new car not a newish car with loads of cheap nasty problems

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
yea wats wrong with that? I have seen plenty of cars with massive rear wheel discs
Vtec - did you read my post? The smaller the better. F1 discs are tiny.

this may be a very stupid question but does the CTR have traction control?
Yes, it's called VSA. Click here. Make sure you haven't turned it off. And get your dealer to fix the other stuff. It's what you paid your £ for.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vtec - did you read my post? The smaller the better. F1 discs are tiny.

Yes, it's called VSA. Click here. Make sure you haven't turned it off. And get your dealer to fix the other stuff. It's what you paid your £ for.
vsa is on by default, i have tried to turn it off before, im sure the vsa doesnt work as even though its still on it still wheel spins

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
thinking of changing disc brakes to bigger ones especially on the rear, any ideas? the rear ones looks naf compared to a beamer i saw over the weekend, makes the TR look dingy
I would be very cautious with such things - you should consider that this is not a Formula 1 car with 50:50 weight balance and your front is much heavier than the rear (which explains the difference in size). It is also hard to predict how the stability program would react to the change (as the rear wheels may then block earlier than the front wheels). Apart from such things, you may be forced to get a registration for the change (in the papers) which is often costly, or even impossible :idea:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Not to mention the insurance...

Becuase when you are forced to hit the brakes mid bend, and the rear end locks up, spinning you off into a tree, you better hope that the insurance company are happy to pay out :(

vtec.
In short, yes, can understand that you want a different look.

The question is, is that look worth the cost of:
buying bigger disks
buying different calipers
buying some sort of brake equalisation valve (therefore negating the effect of bigger rear discs and so purely paying for the cosmetic value)
paying the increased insurance
paying for someone to set it all up properly
potentially invalidating your warranty on the entire braking system

only you can answer that! :)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
vsa is on by default, i have tried to turn it off before, im sure the vsa doesnt work as even though its still on it still wheel spins
is the VSA light flashing on the dash as the wheels are spinning?

does the VSA light come on when you turn the car on?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
more problems to complain, my citi pack for the TR has half stuck on and half hangin off
take it back to the dealer and get them to stick your city pack back on
3rd gear problem (a real problem!)
not good, but at least you're not alone, and many owners say that it resolves itself over time
rattling glove box (annoying)
see above post about city pack
and serious bad boy buzzing from the lights on the front roof console (again mind bending)
ditto post above
when window is wound down in the rain the rain literally 'flows in' (not a problem in my old beamer as the rain flows into the door groves and not into the car,
take it back to the dealer and ask for some groves! :lol:
seriously though, the lines of the Civic are quite flush, so there is nowhere for the water to go apart from in through the window.
Check out the wind deflector thread in buying if it is a real issue for you.
also this may be a very stupid question but does the CTR have traction control? becuase I still do wheel spins all the time (my poor tyres)
see above post

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
take it back to the dealer and get them to stick your city pack back on

not good, but at least you're not alone, and many owners say that it resolves itself over time

see above post about city pack

ditto post above

take it back to the dealer and ask for some groves! :lol:
seriously though, the lines of the Civic are quite flush, so there is nowhere for the water to go apart from in through the window.
Check out the wind deflector thread in buying if it is a real issue for you.

see above post
Vtec!
You must have got a right lemon there,
my Type R is pretty much perfect, even the third gear thing seems to be OK now! (I don't know if i have just got used to the gear change)

I would take it back to the dealers!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts