2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And apparently my nearest pub is in Brittany/France!

I've got news for them, it's just round the corner.

The other options I have tried work OK and display what I would expect.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts

You are sure it is not the POI planned for Geoff ? ;)
Or maybe he is moving in Brittany because of that ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Civ Sat Nav sounds like a load of fun - I feel like I'm missing out with my TomTom.

Altho TT Tim did start speaking in Albanian the other day, which was helpful!!:D

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The TT does have a few advantages over the Civic built in unit like the display can be 3D if required and you can actually see it in night mode. Also the ability to add the safety cameras was a bonus.

However, the Civic SatNav is built in and therefore no physical setting up or dangling leads.

My TT used to spend most of it's time in my bag because I couldn't be bothered to get it out on normal days.

The Civic unit wins because of the quick scale change to see what's ahead plus as above, it's always ready for action.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I'm happy not having spend 3 500 € (cost of the navsat system + Leather pack) in a system where it is impossible to add your own datas, where the database is obsolete etc... It is not specific to honda, my father as the same problem with his Bmw ! So Investing 600 € in a nüvi 660 with the brodit mounting kit.:rolleyes:

The only minus is the fact I will loose the signal in tunnel, underground parkplace etc...;)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts

But Kremmen if you know it is just around the corner, no harm done ;)

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
The POI database on the Civic satnav is a joke.

I heard that they list businesses who advertise so really this is rather like a Yellow Pages where only display ads are shown rather than a useful comprehensive database.

I did complain Navteq about this but all I got was an automated reply telling me to follow some links to documents about using the POI features instead of a human relevant response.

If I had known the satnav POI was going to be this bad I would've considered aftermarket satnav & HFT on an ES or Sport instead of buying the flagship EX model.

My car is fantastic but do wish I'd found Civinfo before I ordered so I could've made a more informed choice.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The POI database on the Civic satnav is a joke.
I'm not sure I agree. I use it a lot for hotels, services, petrol stations and golf courses and it is fine; it's sometimes out of date, but then they all are. I know that restaurants, pubs, banks etc aren't so good but I don't need to use my sat nav for that.

BTW, why do Shell petrol stations have a shell sign on the map, and all others are just a blue pump symbol?

·
Registered
122 Posts

What are you moaning about? You`ve got a great excuse now for disappearing over sees for a few days!![smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I'm not sure I agree. I use it a lot for hotels, services, petrol stations and golf courses and it is fine; it's sometimes out of date, but then they all are. I know that restaurants, pubs, banks etc aren't so good but I don't need to use my sat nav for that.

BTW, why do Shell petrol stations have a shell sign on the map, and all others are just a blue pump symbol?
Glad it's properly of use for you but on the few occasions I've needed to use it I've ended up having to look elsewhere for info. Yes the petrol stations work out fine but for my purposes it doesn't cover me. I don't want to need something in an unfamiliar place only to be let down by the POI - I soon learn not to rely on this expensive gadget.

I guess Shell have shelled out for it! ;)

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you moaning about? You`ve got a great excuse now for disappearing over sees for a few days!!
:D

Not so sure about a french "Pub" though!

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
:D

Not so sure about a french "Pub" though!
Oh we have some real "Irish Pub" with real Irish in it !

Go in Rennes and visit the Rue St Michel, nickname "Rue de la Soif" ! You have one of the nicest pub/bar collection in France ;)

But You're right the real "english pub" miss me :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From memory I think the nearest one listed was actually a Bistro.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Far far away from a real cosy Pub ! ;)

Bistro is comming from a russian Word "Bistro" meaning Hurry/Quick, because after Napoleonian wars when russian army where stationed near paris the Soldier come in the bars and café screaming "Bistro"
Yet It is a common name for a local bar open Early in the morning and closing quite early in the evening (7-8pm) where the local workers/employes come before and after the job to have a café (with croissant, a beer, a glass of wine or other stuff (by "a" I mean a minimum of one...), where you can have a snack for lunch time etc... Not exactly as cosy as an English pub

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder where the programming took place or the POI's were inserted ?

Thanks for the Bistro info :)

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I wonder where the programming took place or the POI's were inserted ?

Thanks for the Bistro info :)
It was a pleasure.

Navteq can give POI with the Map. In my Nuvi (navteq Map) the POI are inserted by the manufacturer (Garmin), the others by me. So it depend of the navsat manufacturer and upon what did Honda ask them (I suppose you must have all the Honda service point in Europe included as a minimum).

Question : is it possible for you to add POI in the database (like speed cameras or others...)

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not possible with the built in unit unfortunately.

"Find Nearest Speed Camera" :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts