2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pay the premium and buy a 1.6d tec civic, I have had plenty of cars in the past but thought I would buy the civic as I have not really had a decent car. How disappointed am I? The ride is hard , the steering too light at speed, and being short trying to get in and out of the car is a challenge as the steering wheel sits low at its highest setting. The parcel shelf hanger trim has fallen off and the fuel consumption is only about 45mpg . I was really looking forward to driving this car but I am seriously considering buying a golf.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You must be driving it hard to only get 45 mpg ? . I was going to get a Seat leon 2.0 tdi fr before getting the civic and found with the Seat which is the same engine as a golf the best Mpg i could get was 40 mpg whilst on a 2 hour test drive. Looking further in to it after found that the vw engines have a major issue with poor mpg and are not even run in until around 60,000 miles when you might get better mpg. If you look on Golf forums some owners are only getting 30 mpg.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Owned a 1.6 dtec for about a year, averaged over 60 and was into 70mpg a lot.
Ride was certainly not harsh.
Never expeienced any issues with the steering wheel height and i am not tall, from what you describe everyone would have serious issues with the steering column being too low!
If the car was new or under warranty and a piece of trim has fallen off then take it back to get sorted.
Build quality on the 9g is great, everything fits as it should with no rattles.
Not sure I would go for the golf after reading owners reports about them.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,389 Posts
I only got last weeks Auto Express because it had a new Civic TypeR feature. An added bonus was that the 8G Civic featured in the best used buy section.

What took me by surprise was a statement in Auto Express that after mentioning the Golf as an alternative used buy that there was a statement questioning VW's reliability of late.

About time they realised it.

I'm surprised you find the suspension hard and the steering wheel position awkwardly low. Was this the same on the test drive?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took another civic out on a test drive and it was good . The price of the test drive civic was a tad too high for my liking so the dealer found me another one , foolish as it may seem the dealer convinced me that it would be the same ride as the test drive one.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Surely you'd have noticed these issues during a test drive ? :confused:

And I thought that diesels took a good 20k to run-in and loosen up, before proper mpg figures were achieved ?

Not sure if this piece from the wiki for 2.2s is applicable to the 1.6 ?

"2.2 Diesel cars

The 2.2 diesel takes a while to run in. Over the first 1,000 miles the car will be thirsty and rattly, but this will improve with use. It may not be fully economical or smooth until 25,000 miles or so.
The diesel is thirsty when cold - it can take up to 20 miles to get fully warmed up. This will take longer in winter than in summer, so the car will appear thirstier in winter.
The MPG gauge on the onboard computer can over-read by 3 mpg or so."

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I took another civic out on a test drive and it was good . The price of the test drive civic was a tad too high for my liking so the dealer found me another one , foolish as it may seem the dealer convinced me that it would be the same ride as the test drive one.
The ride should be the same, AFIK all 1.6's run on 16" wheels.... Is it new?

I'm also supprised you find it a harsh ride.. what was you driving before.

BTW, I'm averaging around 60 mpg... and that's with a heavy right foot lol

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,389 Posts
I'm really surprised that the suspension is different.

Is this new one a MY15 because I've heard of suspension tweaks but I don't know if they make the ride any harder?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I'm 6ft and I have no issue with the steering wheel being too low, I just keep it in it's standard position. I can't really comment on the 2015 steering and suspension as these have been tweaked slightly since my 2013 model. However, as I understand it, the difference is very slight. I find the suspension very comfortable, great on long cross country trips. Looking forward to driving down to Devon this weekend :)

The last (and only) Golf I had was a 2006 mkV, it was a very nice car. However, now on my second Civic and I absolutely love it in comparison. I know the mkVII Golf is highly rated though.

I had my Golf from new, kept her for 4.5yrs and 36k miles, had no problems. It was a 1.6 FSI petrol auto, SE. I find the 1.8 petrol in my Civic more refined and smoother, the 1.6 was a bit boomy at motorway speeds.

Hopefully you will start to like your Civic, however, take the Golf for an extensive test drive before/if you change. Keep us updated. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car is a 63 reg with 18000 miles on the clock. It just does not handle the uneven roads , things like small holes . I drove a Qashqai before the civic.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,389 Posts
Ah, possibly the different style of vehicle. Most of us I would guess have come to the 9G from the 8G. the 8G suspension was very hard so the 9G is a welcome improvement (for some).

What size wheels have you got? The 16" wheels make a small difference over the 17" wheels and may account for the test vehicle difference. No doubt you've checked tyre pressures?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sixteen inch wheels and all pressures have been tested. I spoke with the dealer manager today and it appears the salesman is a bit of a wide boy who has basically been fobbing me off with false promises , the manager has taken the car in for a couple of days and getting a full multi point check alongside an extensive road test and also is replacing several trim parts (of wich the salesman promised but never actually reported) and throwing in a set of new mats as a goodwill jesture . I wait for the outcome and return of the car with baited breath.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Not good at all, they should have seen to everything that was agreed prior to handover, especially if this was a Honda dealer.

A full multi point check should have already been done, it's required if the car is sold under the approved used scheme. Anyway, it's good that the manager is taking the initiative and helping you and I hope they get everything sorted for you mate.

To date, i've not had a negative experience with a Honda dealer, they are usually very hot on customer service. It's a shame that your introduction has been somewhat bumpy. Hopefully things will improve should you decide to stay with your Civic.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I find Honda dealers in Essex/Suffolk very average. Think other makes do things a lot better. As used cars go, Honda have the shabbiest cars at there dealers. You wouldn't see even Fords selling cars with trim hanging off that Honda do.

I never owned a VW car but apart from the suspension the Civic is pretty special and far more exciting to look at than a Golf. The 9G is growing on me although I'm keeping my 8G for a few more years yet.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it is a Honda dealer. I think the salesman has been very poor , it has only been my persistence that hopefully has prevailed .

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Qualitywise I've never had a better car than my 2013 Civic. I find the ride smooth and sporty, the steering is perfect and direct. Surely, there can't be THAT much of a difference between 9G-Civics? I have driven quite a few, and they have all been equally good.
Being sick with the flue I treated myself for a drive just for the fun of it. And the Civic is such a good place to be. I LOVE my car. Hope your dealer figure something out, sounds like you've been unfortunate....does Honda make lemons from time to time??

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
45mpg? That seems very low, mine ranges from 55-65 usually depending on how I drive, the types of drive, how cold it is etc.

Steering is lighter than the 8G Civic but that doesn't bother me, The Civic is not a class leader for suspension refinement because it has a basic rear beam, to allow for the massive boot, but they've massively improved this from the 8G and I think it's better than the average in it's class.

Qashqai is a crossover, it's raised up with more room for better suspension (which also makes it slower and less economical)....not a fair comparison really.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi. I am known in the forum for my disappointment for the civic 1.6 i-dtec. It has too many negative " characteristic " aspects and not worth is cash value. There is better options. I have almost done 9000 Kms and i have got always between 5,0 - 5,4 l/100 kms ( 47 - 42 MPG ). Far away from the 3,8 l/100 kms announced. It´s a mediocre car and that´s my opinion.
So, i advise you to take a calm and reasoned decision before buying the Honda civic 1.6 i-dtec.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts