2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have done a search and found loads of people who have had issues with the plastic snapping off the door handle but have been unable to find any 'How to' on replacing it yourself.

I'm looking to buy a used replacement handle and want to replace it myself. I've had the door card off in the past to replace a couple of bits but cant remember how the door handle is fixed in. Before i go at it again i thought i'd best ask if there are any tips as the key barrel is in there as well and dont want to mess anything up.

This is the part ive found

part no: 72140-SMG-E016

HONDA CIVIC 1.8 I-VTEC MK8 2009 FRONT DOOR HANDLE DRIVER SIDE BLACK | eBay

Thanks in advance.
Fizz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you just glue it back with an epoxy resin glue?

That's what I did. Worked a treat!
Apologies for the late reply.

Where would I apply that on the handle without it getting messy?

Also is there any link to this glue you used?

Cheers
Fizz

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I used this

http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesives/epoxy-repair/epoxy-repair--plastic.html

But I had to do it twice. The first time I tried just doing where the broken screws were but this separated in a week. Second time i did the same area AND the join between the silver handle and where it ought to be. Mine door handle didn't completely break off which was harder. I ruffed up the edges of the silver plastic handle to help it adhere. You WILL need to hold it in place for the full 5 minutes and i left a cable tie on for about a week. So far so good!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts