2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday my car is going in to the Ruislip dealership for £1000 of paint repairs, I have arranged the insurance for a courtesy car and to go to work late but I am having serious doubts!!

I haven't seen this so called paint report yet (solicitor chasing) and I am so worried that the repairs will show as there are so many panels involved as I am not having a complete re-spray. If I have the car repaired some people say it will be worth less but then it is worth less anyway covered in scratches. I really am confused as to what to do.

I also need to give Ruislip a long list of problems that need to be looked at, but as Chiswick are the dealership I bought the car from and I am really unhappy about all the issues should I be asking Ruislip to fix them? I am going to write to Chiswick again this weekend telling them how I feel one year on etc but seeing as they ignored my last three letters having written to me saying to look to Honda UK for answers writing another letter is probably just a waste of my time. Honda UK know that Chiswick told me to look to them for answers but they too have chosen to ignore me.

This is why I am becoming so anti Honda, maybe if I get the car repaired and it looks better I might feel better, then again £1000 is an expensive pick me up!! I don't know what to do anymore :(

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
spend it on a holiday

spend the money on a holiday the car will never be right
at least you would enjoy that

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Hi TC.

Personally; I would get the respray done. The more they do, the better it will look.

Tell Ruislip to go ahead to rectify the faults as well. They will claim the time back from Honda and get any parts foc.

There is no need to mention any of this to anyone when selling or p-xing, providing everything is A1 afterwards.

You will be pleased with the look of the car and how it drives etc for the future.

Make sure you buy your next Civic from Ruislip and tell as many people as possible what bad service you have had from Chiswick.

My Civic, and 000's of others, have been fault free and highly enjoyable to drive. Don't allow one poor dealer to put you off, there are plenty of good ones out there ready and willing to look after you.

Good luck. :D

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
spend the money on a holiday the car will never be right
at least you would enjoy that
Sorry geoff, can't agree with that. A holiday is over in a week and forgotten in a fortnight.

Better to spend the money on something tangible that could save money in the long run when reselling and (hopefully) give months, or years, of pleasure in the mean time.

You never know, but you could end up with wet 'n' windy holiday and still have the same problems when you come back! ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
On Monday my car is going in to the Ruislip dealership for £1000 of paint repairs, I have arranged the insurance for a courtesy car and to go to work late but I am having serious doubts!!

I haven't seen this so called paint report yet (solicitor chasing) and I am so worried that the repairs will show as there are so many panels involved as I am not having a complete re-spray. If I have the car repaired some people say it will be worth less but then it is worth less anyway covered in scratches. I really am confused as to what to do.

I also need to give Ruislip a long list of problems that need to be looked at, but as Chiswick are the dealership I bought the car from and I am really unhappy about all the issues should I be asking Ruislip to fix them? I am going to write to Chiswick again this weekend telling them how I feel one year on etc but seeing as they ignored my last three letters having written to me saying to look to Honda UK for answers writing another letter is probably just a waste of my time. Honda UK know that Chiswick told me to look to them for answers but they too have chosen to ignore me.

This is why I am becoming so anti Honda, maybe if I get the car repaired and it looks better I might feel better, then again £1000 is an expensive pick me up!! I don't know what to do anymore :(
Your legal position is that the dealer you bought the car from are responsible for sorting out any issues you have. Your contract is with them and not Honda. Take legal action against the dealer you bought the car from.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
TC - who is paying the £1000?

If it's you - I'd hang fire until your solitcor etc can get to the bottom of things.

Actually, I'd hang fire anyway - the respray will cover the 'damage' (for want of a better word) that you are trying to claim for - which will make a further independant report (should it be required) very difficult :(

As to the rest of the list - get Ruislip to do it - as allan says, they (should) claim it all back from Honda, and will probably be happy to do so :)

very best of luck - hope this starts you back down the route to Honda Happiness (rubbish pun, sorry :oops:) :)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TC - who is paying the £1000?

If it's you - I'd hang fire until your solitcor etc can get to the bottom of things.

Actually, I'd hang fire anyway - the respray will cover the 'damage' (for want of a better word) that you are trying to claim for - which will make a further independant report (should it be required) very difficult :(
Honda UK made it quite clear that their paint experts did not find any problems with my paint and therefore will not cover the cost of repairs, I could get an independant paint expert but it will be costly and of course there is a chance my paint is ok and that it has been purely bad luck that I have gained so many scratches.

I did have the thickness of the paint checked independantly and it was adequate so the only question mark would be on the softness.

If I go ahead on Monday should I take photos of all the scratches for future reference?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Topcat,

I agree with TTDegs, if you get it resprayed then pursueing any paint claim will be virtually impossible and you should let it go.

Have you found out what causes the scratches ? If not, then again I would not get a respray.

For me, a respray would be a last resort, and I would not consider respaying a panel just to hide a scratch. Rather spend £100 with one of these touch-up companies and see what the results are. I think that's what the dealer would do faced with reselling your car.

Sometimes you can have too much advice, I'm guessing that you really want this respray, in which case I wish you well with it.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Hi Topcat. Did your solicitor advise you to go ahead with the re-spray, or did he say wait ?.

If he hasn't advised you, I'd follow Degs & allans advice.

But I would take plenty of 'photos before the re-spray.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
scatter approach

thanks bog will not answer here in case i get accused of the above

only joking no moaning today

mind you brodick could start me off

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you considered getting the paintwork corrected by an experienced detailer?

They'd be able to remove any scratches without much hassle at all. Given that Honda paint is very soft it's very easy to correct.

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
I would strongly advise against you stumping up 1k for repairs regardless of whether you are persuing legal action or not. Thats far too much money TC.

(You could always spend the money on me, my smile will be a real pick me up!)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you considered getting the paintwork corrected by an experienced detailer?

They'd be able to remove any scratches without much hassle at all. Given that Honda paint is very soft it's very easy to correct.

The scratches are deep and I am worried that they wont be able to match the paint up as well as Honda, at least if Honda mess it up I can complain.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would strongly advise against you stumping up 1k for repairs regardless of whether you are persuing legal action or not. Thats far too much money TC.

(You could always spend the money on me, my smile will be a real pick me up!)

Lol :)

The actual cost of £980, B&Q will be paying £200 of it and the estimate is £700 cheaper than Chiswick quoted me and that is with two more panels to repair so god knows what Chiswick would charge me now.

They are repairing 3 doors, a wing, rear bumper, part of the boot and the bonnet. I thought it was quite reasonable :confused:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Topcat

I would consult your solicitor first as already mentioned. They will tell you to find and independant paint consultant. Once you have a report which definately states that the paint is too thin, then you can ask your solicitor to take proceedings against Chiswick. I had to do a similar exercise with Meashams of Greenford. My windows leaked they did not do anything about it so legal action was the only way. I managed to get a report which unequivocally stated that the rubbers where a design fault, then sued Meashams. Topcat I think this is the only way forward IF the paint is too thin. As you know I am buying my car from Chiswick but have no intention of using them as my dealer for servicing or warranty claims. In fact I was there today to sort out balance of payment and registration no. There quite quick to take money from you (tried to sell me paint protection stuff) but are unwilling to help when problems arise. Ruislip said to me that it didn't matter which dealership you choose for warranty claims.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts