2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gurus of the Civic

I've recently failed an MOT due to "Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents ingress of dirt."

I'm trying to get quotes for the work, and the one garage has replied that the cover only comes with the ball joint, which is part of the suspension arm and thus the entire suspension arm requires replacing.

Can anyone confirm that this is so, or am I being taken for a ride?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
go on here and search "dust" Home

register with them for a forum discount or see if your local dealer will price match

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
no they probably don't know and just assume.
probably as much labour involved in doing both jobs just less mark up available on the cover opposed to a new arm.

Reactions: Thio

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
there's no forgiveness here.
I work for Eurocarparts so get to know what level of knowledge the average mechanic seems to have.
They will watch Youtube just like us if they don't know how.

Too many are now just parts fitters and the old school mechanics seem to be a dying breed.

·
Registered
Civic type R Championship white
221 Posts
there's no forgiveness here.
I work for Eurocarparts so get to know what level of knowledge the average mechanic seems to have.
They will watch Youtube just like us if they don't know how.

Too many are now just parts fitters and the old school mechanics seem to be a dying breed.
it’s how things have gone mate, everything is plastic and disposable nowadays.
My dad was an old school mechanic and would always be trying to repair everything, where as I started in 2005/6 on my apprenticeship.
we were never taught how to fix things, or how to tune carbs or touch points and condensers. It was just plug it in read the codes, read the live data, make and assumption and throw parts at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts