2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have recently traded my 08 civic EX 1.8 for a new 1.8 EX auto.

During my time with the old civic I had all the faults, faulty fuse box, passenger door handle sticking, repacement pedal box (three times), and also experienced the hard ride and coarse road noise!!

But I have to say that the new car is a dream, I just love the driving experience as its much quieter and a softer ride, and the auto box is so smooth, and no faults as yet, and Ive noticed that there are hardly any faults being reported now in the forum section, very different to 12 months ago when there was always common faults being reported.

We are always quick to complain when things are not right so I would just like to say WELL DONE HONDA , you finally got there!.........:):):)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do a few thousand miles then let us know how the paint is doing :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
mines almost new and it's already got the creaky rear suspension when reversing first thing in the morning, Stone chips - yes. Am i a happy Honda owner? not as much as when i had my early CRX and 3 door VTI, they don't build them like they used to that's for sure, but love the 2.2 diesel engine (at the moment) and the S-type shape. Looked at the Cupra but thought the Honda would be more reliable than the Seat in the long run - we'll see!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Have recently traded my 08 civic EX 1.8 for a new 1.8 EX auto.

During my time with the old civic I had all the faults, faulty fuse box, passenger door handle sticking, repacement pedal box (three times), and also experienced the hard ride and coarse road noise!!

But I have to say that the new car is a dream, I just love the driving experience as its much quieter and a softer ride, and the auto box is so smooth, and no faults as yet, and Ive noticed that there are hardly any faults being reported now in the forum section, very different to 12 months ago when there was always common faults being reported.

We are always quick to complain when things are not right so I would just like to say WELL DONE HONDA , you finally got there!.........:):):)
Nice report! my recently sold Type S diesel at 3 1/2 years was superb and still seemed like a new car.

Like the idea of an EX auto. I've now got a Merc 190e with an auto box which I'm very fond of. As with my previous auto Merc, the box offers very little in the way of engine braking compared to a manual gearbox.This is noticable around town when stop/starting at traffic lights etc. Does your Honda behave the same or are modern auto's different ?

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
I had many problems with my Civic in the 30 months I owned it
Ive had none at all in the 15 months Ive owned the Octavia.
I hope you dont have any too, Honda are getting better...but they certainly dont make them like VAG do, sadly

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I will say we have now done 4k in the CRZ and only have 2 small chips on the front bumper so I don't think the paint is as bad as people think.
You obviously don't tailgate hard enough...well done!
:p

not as much as when i had my early CRX and 3 door VTI, they don't build them like they used to that's for sure, but love the 2.2 diesel engine (at the moment) and the S-type shape.
Have to say I had more fun in my VTi as well, loved its revvy engine and exhaust note.
The 2.2 is brill though...

I've never opted for an auto car but I know instructors who teach in auto, Ill be pleased to pass on that report :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had many problems with my Civic in the 30 months I owned it
Ive had none at all in the 15 months Ive owned the Octavia.
I hope you dont have any too, Honda are getting better...but they certainly dont make them like VAG do, sadly
Just hope your Octavia turbo doesn't throw the towel in at 2 years like mine did. £4.5k to repair and 16 weeks off the road LOL

EDIT :: And the shame of a Roomster loan car from Skoda UK - popemobile !!

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
The paint on the Civic's seems to change with age.

On both mine I had virtually no chips in the first year, then they started, and I seem to have a new one or 2 each week. I wonder if it becomes brittle with age?

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
The paint on the Civic's seems to change with age.

On both mine I had virtually no chips in the first year, then they started, and I seem to have a new one or 2 each week. I wonder if it becomes brittle with age?
or maybe it's not the paint??? :worms::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice report! my recently sold Type S diesel at 3 1/2 years was superb and still seemed like a new car.

Like the idea of an EX auto. I've now got a Merc 190e with an auto box which I'm very fond of. As with my previous auto Merc, the box offers very little in the way of engine braking compared to a manual gearbox.This is noticable around town when stop/starting at traffic lights etc. Does your Honda behave the same or are modern auto's different ?

This is my first auto so I have very little experience.

A friend had a toyota auto a few years ago and the gear change was quite jerky, but the civic is so smooth you cant feel a thing ....no engine braking though, which I miss!....

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My last civic was the grey metalic, and I have to say over the 30 months there was no paint problems at all! ( accept for small car park rash)

I think if you do a lot of motorway driving this is what shows up this problem.

The new car is Milano red, so it will probably get the dreaded paint chips as that colour seems to be more prone.....

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
We have the stone chip problems with our 2011 Type S, also i-shift is not that good, but this has been covered in another part of the forum, I have done 4000 miles in the car and these are the only complaints, otherwise a good car, really helpful dealer and returns about 50 mpg, also alloys are lot easier to clean than the Hyundai Coupe just got rid of. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
you finally got there!.........:):):)
Just wait until it's a year old. Ours got the faulty fuse box, creaky suspension, noisy clutch pedal, squeaky steering wheel, dashboard rattles, trim falling apart, high amount of road noise and a gearbox that changes gear very difficultly.

I'm getting fed up with it. We were in doubt between this and the new Megane and I'm almost at the point of saying that we made the wrong choice.

·
TIMMEH!!!!!!
580 Posts
Next car for me will be the 370z, i love my civic, but after 15k miles im counting 20 stone chips and rust now on the bonnet aswell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will say we have now done 4k in the CRZ and only have 2 small chips on the front bumper so I don't think the paint is as bad as people think.
I have a few chips on my CRZ so its not great. But then every car has stone chips especially if you have to drive them up the motorway everyday as I do.

Saying that I have seen some shocking Civic's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
in answer to the original question i would say 'no'. mine's a 2010 model with extras such as a creaky/clicking clutch pedal, dodgy passenger door handle, screeching drivers window, misfire between first and second and creaky dash. all performed under warranty the first time but still not cured. not many niggles with passats golfs and audis i've owned in the past and they were all high mileage when i bought them. having said that, i do like my civic. 50mpg all day long and plenty of power. the two don't usually go together.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
My friends C Class Merc is giving him trouble after only a few months now.
New wiring loom, parking sensor control box been replaced twice etc.
There is not a thing made by mankind in this world, that is perfect - except me.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts