2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have asked this before but I'm now getting even more frustrated with the problem, my passenger door handle is incredibly stiff. When you pull it in to open the door it's like it only goes 3/4 of the way in, and then to get it to open you really have to pull hard, sometimes use 2 hands, then it will release and the door will open.
It's most annoying when I'm taking people in the car and they can't open the door, quite embarrassing, gives a poor quality impression to the mighty civic!

From the inside the door opens normally, the interior handle does not malfunction atall.

Also when the car is locked, the handle operates as it should. It can be pulled all the way in easily, but whenever the car is unlocked it again becomes stiff.

So I think it must have something to so with the mechanism that operates the central locking for the handle, or is it linked to something else?

Basically I'm after some options. I'm happy to take the door handle out and replace it with another one (depends on price), I'm also willing to try and fix this one If possible. Or maybe the problem isn't with the handle but with a mechanism that links it to the door release

Any thoughts or advice is most welcome, I could do with some knowledge of how the system actually works

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
from what you have written the fault could lie with the central locking actuator or the mechanism that connects the door handle to the lock

either way you need to remove the door card to see what's going on
i would start with the actuator to see what different when it's used to unlock the car and when the car is already unlocked
it might be a simple case of lubricating the mechanism from within the door but that is where i would start

·
Registered
332 Posts
Does it open normally when you activate the central locking if symptoms still the same it could be either the mechanism where it might need replacing or it needs lubricating you need to open the door card to check

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the car is locked the door handle operates normally. For example the inside of the handle can be easily compressed all the way. When the car is unlocked the handle will not compress all the way without some force.

I will take your advice and take the door card off to have a look at the mechanisms. I'm not sure when I'll have time but that will definitely be the first step.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced it, I had the door in peices and the mecahism is complicated and full of springs and linkages, I was worried I'd open it up and it's entire contents would just fall onto the workbench and I'd be left with a car I couldn't drive or even lock.
Didn't take the chance, paid £25 and picked up the part from a local breaker

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I replaced it, I had the door in peices and the mecahism is complicated and full of springs and linkages, I was worried I'd open it up and it's entire contents would just fall onto the workbench and I'd be left with a car I couldn't drive or even lock.
Didn't take the chance, paid £25 and picked up the part from a local breaker
cheers

good to know for anybody else having the same problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts