2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a post on this a couple of months ago but cant seem to find it.

Last couple of days when driving long or short journeys, my idle jumps around, some times dips to as low as 500rpm then jumps up to 1.5krpm then back to 1k rpm then settles.

To make matters worse, when the idle settles the car feels like it shaking ever so slightly.

Anyone know the cure? Is it time to get an FD2 throttle body?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Try the idle learn procedure:

Procedure
  1. Make sure all electrical items (a/c, audio, lights, etc) are off.
  2. Reset the ECM/PCM (pulling the power by unplugging the battery works well).
  3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
  4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 F (90 C).
  5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle closed. (NOTE: if the fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
Be patient. If you don't get it just right, you may need to do the procedure a second time. Also, keep in mind that an erractic idle can also be caused by a vacuum leak, or you might need to clean you throttle body.
Info from: http://flashprotuning.com/blogs/vitviper/honda-ecmpcm-idle-learn-procedure

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try the idle learn procedure:

Procedure
  1. Make sure all electrical items (a/c, audio, lights, etc) are off.
  2. Reset the ECM/PCM (pulling the power by unplugging the battery works well).
  3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
  4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 F (90 C).
  5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle closed. (NOTE: if the fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
Be patient. If you don't get it just right, you may need to do the procedure a second time. Also, keep in mind that an erractic idle can also be caused by a vacuum leak, or you might need to clean you throttle body.
Info from: Honda ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure | FlashPro Tuning
Cheers Ash, will try this. I'm guessing the engine has to be cold when doing this otherwise you get to temperature quicker? Also, again assuming, this has no impact on map?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Cheers Ash, will try this. I'm guessing the engine has to be cold when doing this otherwise you get to temperature quicker? Also, again assuming, this has no impact on map?
Yes do it from cold.

It won't affect your map.

It might take a few attempts to get it right.

If still no luck get the TB off and clean it up.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It will be a split intake pipe. Get it off and have a good check. It splits in between the ribs. Get some duck tape round it for now as a temp fix. ;)

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
It will be a split intake pipe. Get it off and have a good check. It splits in between the ribs. Get some duck tape round it for now as a temp fix. ;)
I have had two go now! Deffinatley sounds like the cause!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had two go now! Deffinatley sounds like the cause!
Thanks to all for the help

This will sound really really stupid, but hey ho, I've got to ask if I want to know.

When you say intake pipe are you referring to the main pipe which goes from your air box to the throttle body or are you referring to one of the smaller pipes which connect to the throttle body?

Ive got the hks rsk fitted, so could it be a leak in that, possibly the purple rubbery bits that come with it?

Finally, is their an easy way to spot any leaks? I.e. if I have car running should I be able to feel any suction or the likes etc?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Oh an RSK is different. Check the clamps around the joiner hose and make sure its all sealed properly. if your not getting anywhere pop in and we can have a quick look. Normally pretty easy to spot vacuum leaks. ;)

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
hi i had same problem it turned out to be map sensor on manifold that was cracked a bit of epoxy glue done the trick £260 saving thank god

1 - 11 of 11 Posts