2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friendly warning for people less computer savvy than myself (I for one, know several people who would fall for the following):

I've had around 10 phone calls this week from an asian accented man(then a woman) claiming to be a microsoft certified engineer and that he wants to "help me" by fixing my problems with my computer.

It took me a few minutes to explain to him that I myself am an IT Technician in the RAF (he didn't know what the RAF was) and I would know if there was something wrong with my computer.

He got a bit aggressive and pushy, and demanded I go to Ammyy Admin - Free Remote Desktop and Remote Control software and install software to allow him to remotely control my PC, so he could show me the "problems" he wants to fix for me.

I told him I was not going to do that and he just kept trying to argue with me to let him into my computer... not gonna happen. I told him politely that I was going to hang up... then hung up.

a few days later, he phoned again... same ****zle, same result... I hung up.

today, his "boss" called me, informing me that "you're going to get into trouble, we have a complaint on you, you are not letting us help"

I then got passed onto another person who threatened to "crash your computer and you will have no computer, ha ha ha ha ha" (literally his words)

Obviously, a "genuine" company 1. wouldn't call you out of the blue like this, and 2. certainly wouldn't start to threaten you or become aggressive in this way.

I hung up again and reported the nuisance calls to BT.

They told me that this is a very common complaint but there's nothing they can do due to the call coming from an international line. I enquired about being put on a "do not call" register, he looked at my account and told me I was already on it.

WARNING: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ALLOW A STRANGER TO REMOTELY ACCESS YOUR PC

MICROSOFT WILL NEVER CONTACT A CUSTOMER IN THIS WAY

IF THEY TELL YOU THEY'RE "CERTIFIED BY MICROSOFT" REMEMBER THAT ANY PERSON ON THE PLANET CAN GET A MICROSOFT CERTIFICATION BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE ACTING ON THEIR BEHALF

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Good advice there mate, I had a very similar call last night but without the aggression. They just kept saying they were calling to fix my windows computer.

I just lied and said I own a Mac so have no need of their help before hanging up...

·
The flying Dutchman
967 Posts
tell em you got a Lunix or a mac will clear em right out

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing is... I actually do.

I'll re-boot my machine and choose my Linux Mint partition... then see if he can remote into that mutha!

·
Busy, busy busy!
137 Posts
Good advice for everyone, I haven't had this call myself but the out-law's have. Which is funny as I built their PC so would know if it had a problem!

If I get this call I'm going to see how long I can keep them talking for :D

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice for everyone, I haven't had this call myself but the out-law's have. Which is funny as I built their PC so would know if it had a problem!

If I get this call I'm going to see how long I can keep them talking for :D
I kept him on the line for 20 minutes last night (before he started threatening me)

I lied to him and said that I also was a MCE, he asked for my cert number, I made one up, he accused me of being a liar and started to mock me. It was so funny, I said to him, "you've just been rude to me, why should I let you "fix" my computer now?" and he started to be nice again.

I asked to speak to his boss, then the boss's boss, then must have gotten to the top of the food chain as the final person told me I would get into trouble with the government because I'm "not letting us help you".

bunch of chancers!!

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
If the person on the phone isn't british your going to get scammed for sure. :worms:

If they are british its 50:50 !

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
i've had loads of these before, they either try to charge you for some software or install some dodgy "virus protection" software that after a fake scan asks you to pay to register the software.

I told them I was having problems with my windows 3.11 computer and they promptly hung up. Was quite funny.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I had this one too........

Kept him on the phone because of this post. Just acted like a computer noob and that he would have to talk me through it. To the point of helping me connect to the internet. Must have been about 15-20 mins into the call. I finally decided to say. I think its great that Microsoft put fruit on laptops to try and get people eating fruit. But did they know why they only use apples. He didnt get what I was saying. Got a little boring after a while. Started to quote what I had read "you will get in trouble for not letting me help you". The line went dead. Waiting for 'The Boss' too call.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know for a fact that my mother in law would fall for it hook line and sinker.

She's got about 4 different "insurance" policies for her Sky box because "Sky" keep calling her saying it's out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I never answer International calls, if it's important they'll leave a message to phone back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts