2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey up people, I'm thinking of navigating away from an iPhone but my type r has the Honda iPod connection.

If I want to go the samsung route or nexus4 what do you think my options are.

Has anyone moved away from apple using the factory stereo and connection.

Thanks

Nic

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well your new phone will come with a USB adaptor so you will be fine fella. Can't see why it won't work. I've got an old iPod nano I leave in mine and it works a treat no issues at all. Saved unplugging the phone and plugging it back in everytime fella :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The iPod connector comes from my stereo and has the iPod interface at the end though. Not sure if that will attach to that. I'm apple trapped...!

·
Registered
392 Posts
The new car comes with a female USB connection, the one on the iPhone lead that fits at the charger end.
The same USB connector is used by the majority of Android and W8 phones at the charger end, so will plug straight into the car connector.

You could also use USB memory sticks as your storage. On mine, the new CRV, I could rip CD's directly to the head unit's hard drive, have a large capacity USB memory stick full of music on the lead, and stream wirelessly from my iPhone [or any phone] or tablet device to the unit using Bluetooth. More music than I could ever listen to.

There is an 'OFF' button on the head unit, thank goodness.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really sorry for seeming like a dope but my 08 plate FN2 doesn't have a visible USB guys. Standard head unit that has a iPod connection routed through from the back of the head unit. I had it installed last year when I bought it. Do you mean behind the scenes there is a female connection.

Have I got my FN2 and type R's confused. If so I'm sorry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, so that will allow my new non apple device to play music through my stereo and charge. Good call. I didn't think a device existed to do such a thing as I though apples iphone interface would some how be locked down or difficult to connect to.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Interesting, so that will allow my new non apple device to play music through my stereo and charge. Good call. I didn't think a device existed to do such a thing as I though apples iphone interface would some how be locked down or difficult to connect to.

well for around £3-£5 for a couple of leads is it worth a try?

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
imagine the lead that you get with an ipod. at one end it has the usb connection for the pc, at the other, it has the 'ipod' connection.

The original Honda car kits for i phones had a lead with the second connection, the 'apple' plug on it, NOT the usb.

I think the OP is asking how he potentially connects that to a newer phone.

If thats the case, personally, I dont have a clue but would have thought that by now, someone has bought something from China that will do it.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
imagine the lead that you get with an ipod. at one end it has the usb connection for the pc, at the other, it has the 'ipod' connection.

The original Honda car kits for i phones had a lead with the second connection, the 'apple' plug on it, NOT the usb.

I think the OP is asking how he potentially connects that to a newer phone.

If thats the case, personally, I dont have a clue but would have thought that by now, someone has bought something from China that will do it.

simple you fit this to your ipod lead Micro USB male to 30P Female data charge adapter for Apple iPhone iPod cable | eBay then this to the usb end USB 2.0 A Female to A Female Coupler Converter Adapter Connector Joiner Cable | eBay

now you plug in a usb lead etc. will it work I don't know but in theory yes and for the cost to find out then I would try it

·
Registered
18 Posts
This Micro USB male to 30P Female data charge adapter for Apple iPhone iPod cable | eBay won't plug into this USB 2.0 A Female to A Female Coupler Converter Adapter Connector Joiner Cable | eBay

They are two different form factors of USB.

If you get a Nexus 4, it has a micro USB so you can connect it with the second connector (or any other micro usb socketed phone).
What I wouldn't be so sure about is whether it will;

• a)work (power etc - probably)

• b)be understood by the stereo (which I doubt)
I would keep the iphone for mp3s in the car and get whatever phone you want as a phone.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Bit different from what you want, but thought I'd share what I sometimes use. Its called 'BTC008' and it basically uses the radio frequency to play your music or calling someone. I've had them in the past and they have been terrible, but this one is great! has a 5V usb port too for charging things. I tend to listen to my music via the apple connector because it seems to be better quality than the BTC008 (and I have an Iphone), but then switch to radio when I get an incoming call. It aint the cheapest thing at the minute, think i got mine for £30 a few years ago but, hey its an option :)

Pama Plug 'N' Go 111 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Kit and: Amazon.co.uk: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41XhNJygWNL

This is mine:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I would keep the iphone for mp3s in the car and get whatever phone you want as a phone.
or pick up a cheap iPod nano from fleabay & keep that in your car for tunes;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts