2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 07 type r 6 months now and I'm not happy with the state of the paint work.
I've used a DA with meguiars 205 and a white hex pad and it wont shift these marks, I did try ultimate compound and still no good.
I'm not sure if it's the clear coat failing. It only has 56,000 miles. Does anyone have similar paint defects?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
blimey - that does not look good :(
Is that all on the bonnet? has it been used to tailgate gritters? it does look like it has been heavily peppered by something - to the point where the clearcoat has actually fractured :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's on pretty much all horizontal surfaces, so bonnet, roof wings etc which lead me to believe they are hard water etchings.

This is the roof and you can see them on the actual rubber roof seal aswell.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be doing two medium pressure passes followed by two light pressure passes. Hopefully I won't go through the clear coat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a picture of the bonnet, it looks terrible and I dont think they are just all stone chips. It wasn't like this when I brought it and I havent driven behind a gritter lorry.:mad:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, acid rain. wet sand with 1200-1500, then buff. It won't come out all the way. Then carefully touch up.
Thanks but that's something I'm not comfortable doing. I'll give it a going over with the green hex logic pad and sonax 04-06 and then call it a day and live with it I suppose.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
do you live near any chemical plants? Acid rain seems highly unlikely to me - do your neighbours cars have the same?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Deninetly some kind of etching. I've seen something similar on cars by the coast for a long period of time, the salty air being rained on and left without regular washes can really start to eat into things.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it's strange, the owner before me brought it brand new and he doesnt live near the coast. I'm really not sure what has caused it but it's not pretty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It looks like when people don't wash bird sh1t off for weeks and it etches the paint, but with so many small ones, I can't see how it can be that.

I'm almost at the point of giving up trying to keep my car nice, Everytime I take it anywhere for work it comes back full of swirls, scratches and more recently dints down the roof rails after getting the roof rust sorted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm going to give it one last machine polish then call it a day, everytime I look at it theres a different scratched or ding, so I feel the same as you really.

It looks mint from my living room window so will just admire it from a distance from now on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Exhausting isn't it?!?

I had a skoda fabia that was knackered for a hire car and dispite being ashamed to be seen in it, it was sooo nice to not worry about where I park it or picking up stone chips.

I've got a black SIR delsol and swore I'd never get another black car.lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I've had 3 black cars now and I dont know why I keep buying them. I had a silver cupra r and it didnt show any chips or scratches. But this is my first Japanese car and the paint is the worst by a long way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Washed the car today and gave a few places a try with the green hex pad and sonax 04 06. A little improvement but still there so what ever they are has etched quite deep.

I do use turtle wax hybrid sealant wax spray to help dry the car and help the water bead. So when it does rain the water does sit on the car in little beads, could this have caused the water spots?

"Acid rain + beads = etching
Acid rain sounds pretty bad, judging by name alone. It’s even worse when it forms into beads. Acid rain refers to rain water made acidic by sulpher dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions from industrial activity. Scientists have noticed its corrosive effects for over five centuries now, and much like how it chews through statues, it can etch automotive surfaces, too."

Would it be better off without protection that helps water bead.

I dont think I will be using a wax after I've machine polished the whole car again as I dont want water beads sitting on the paint.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts