2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Today I tested a small section with ultimate compound on the green hex pad, it did improve a few Mark's but still plenty left behind. I was thinking of trying m105 and an orange hex pad just to see if it removes them, i know it's very aggressive but its needs it. If not I could buy a second hand bonnet as the bonnet is the worst and most noticeable. If not call it a day and live with the screwed up paint work. (n)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No I havent, I wouldn't feel comfortable wet sanding. There are no scratches or swirls, its deep etchings from possible acid rain I'm trying to remove which are pretty much all over the car, with the worse being on the flat surfaces. So wouldn't really want to wet sand the entire car.

I was thinking just go really aggressive on the bonnet to see if they can be removed. If I go through the clear coat I can just buy a second hand bonnet for around £80.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've just posted in a vehicle painters forums and these are the replys I've got.

"That clear is failing. Those little snowflake like cracks will extend and, eventually it will peel off.
Cause is insufficient clear in the factory, where paint is applied to achieve a 10 year service life.
The only solution is to take it all off and respray."

"Oh, I hate to see that....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^He's telling you the truth about it....it's just a matter of time until the peeling begins. From the day my brother in law first noticed his it was about 9 months or so until it started peeling off in sheets."

Anyone heard of any fn2 have clear coat failure?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Loads of normal civics have their clears failing, especially on flat surfaces.Take a look at fnlews youtube channel, his fn2, half the bonnet is missing clear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Loads of normal civics have their clears failing, especially on flat surfaces.Take a look at fnlews youtube channel, his fn2, half the bonnet is missing clear.
Yeah, I knew the red ones suffer but never heard of any other colours with problems.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah it don't look good, I'm going to get my wings and bonnet sprayed when all this is over, then think about getting the roof rust done and sprayed. It ideally needs a complete respray as those marks are over the tops of the doors a few on the rear wings. Spoiler is paint is knackered too but can't afford it :cry:.

·
Oldboy-racer
909 Posts
Sorry to see that.
Was it like this when you bought it? If not how quickly did it appear?
Seems unlikely that the clearcoat would fail like this so consistantly over all the horizontal surfaces but as it is showing on the rubber too I'm thinking maybe concrete dust from a building site? Then a spritz of rain causing water beading and collecting little beads of weak concrete to harden. Tha maybe hard for polishing to remove.
Have you tried a good bathroom limescale remover?
Or possibly a badly applied ceramic coat? If that gets wet before it has cured it could fail early where droplets were? I have very little experience with them but I know they hate water when curing.
Maybe find an inconspicuous area and use some 1000/2000 grade wet-and-dry on a tiny patch. If you go through the clearcoat, which I doubt, it will be a tiny clearcoat repair that can be buffed in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Im really not sure what it is, looking back at pictures I think it was there when I brought it. But wasn't noticeable since the paint work was swirled but after I machined polished it it's showed a lot more. I might try a light wet sand and see what happens. But something has caused the clear to crack, just hope it doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, defiently something acidic has been on the paint not your usual clear coat failure still racking my brain what could of caused this.
As you can see it's also on the scuttle panel and also see dots on the windscreen when the sun it's shining on it. Strange one.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Well here’s my tangerine civic also suffering a similar issue.

During my 2nd month of owning the car, I was driving the car back home on the motorway at night, the weather was an absolute madness.

I didn’t realise until the next day the state of the car was in. Car was covered in a lot of white stuff, which also got under the boot as well (found out it was salt grit, I think).

The car bonnet has worsened ever since that night. It pains me to see the front of the car every day, knowing that I’ll have to fork £380 for bonnet and wing respray (that’s what I’ve been quoted). If I had a black car I would’ve wrapped it or common colour I would’ve replaced it with 2nd hand for dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)

Well here’s my tangerine civic also suffering a similar issue.

During my 2nd month of owning the car, I was driving the car back home on the motorway at night, the weather was an absolute madness.

I didn’t realise until the next day the state of the car was in. Car was covered in a lot of white stuff, which also got under the boot as well (found out it was salt grit, I think).

The car bonnet has worsened ever since that night. It pains me to see the front of the car every day, knowing that I’ll have to fork £380 for bonnet and wing respray (that’s what I’ve been quoted). If I had a black car I would’ve wrapped it or common colour I would’ve replaced it with 2nd hand for dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow sorry to see that, that grit really took a toll on your paint!

I did wrap the bonnet myself but wasn't happy with the finish, it looks a lot easier on YouTube 😁
I've had a look at bonnets on eBay, but a lot look damaged and covered in stone chips anyway. I can get the bonnet sprayed for £120, but the picture makes it look a lot worse than in real life.
I think the marks were there when I brought it but since I machine polished it, it is just a lot more obvious. So hopefully it won't get worse as the marks are mainly on the bonnet and wings, less on the roof, and some along the the paint above the doors, and a couple down the sides.
Is it only the bonnet on yours that is damaged?
Pissed me off though because a lot of the paint is in great condition.

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
have you tried a proper detailer to see if they think they can polish it up
have a search or ask around locally see if you got a good 1 near by

·
Registered
10 Posts
That won't buff out, it's lawuer failing. Probably from a combination of things but mainly stone chips.

Honda paint is notoriously rubbish and the NHB is the worst (except fading Milano red) shows every imperfection, oxidizing, thin sticky paint, horrible to machine polish.

I love my NHB especially with the blue flecks but man it's a pain to look after.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That won't buff out, it's lawuer failing. Probably from a combination of things but mainly stone chips.

Honda paint is notoriously rubbish and the NHB is the worst (except fading Milano red) shows every imperfection, oxidizing, thin sticky paint, horrible to machine polish.

I love my NHB especially with the blue flecks but man it's a pain to look after.
Yeah, I've had a few blacks car and this is my first honda and I've never come across paint like this.
I had a black mercedes with double the mileage and it had barely any stone chips at all.
As long as it doesn't get any worse, I'll live with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe try compounding instead of polishing first? First compound the area followed by a pass or two with polish? Might need more bite to remove it

21 - 40 of 41 Posts