2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i checked my oil today and it was near to the end of the stick . but my engine oil light never told me ?

when i opened the filler cap to pour some oil in , i could see the cogs bone dry . doesnt the civic tell you on the dash when the engine oil is low?

also when checking the oil . do you insert the dip stick fully back in with a click to test it . i noticed by testing the oil with and without fully inserting the dip stick back in with or without the click makes a big reading difference?

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
And from cold!

Warm Oil = Higher Level = False Reading.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
+1

The low oil warning light is just that, a warning. It shouldn't be used as an indication that you need to top-up your oil :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
The oil light is a low oil pressure light, due normally to low oil level, faulty oil pump or pressure sensor. It's NOT the same as low fuel light, and please don't ever treat it as one...
On most cars, yes. But the Civic does have an additional light to indicate low oil level. It's the same as the low oil pressure, but with a wavy line under it.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
+1

Civic has both, low oil and low pressure lights and sensors. Although why it has both I've no idea, as F6HAD said the oil pressure sensor would do both.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Yep I can confirm that their is a low oil level light. It triggers when their is around 1 litre less than what their should be in the engine. As mentioned though the engine oil should always be kept topped up.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
I've always been told from cold, ah well learn something new every day :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1

Civic has both, low oil and low pressure lights and sensors. Although why it has both I've no idea, as F6HAD said the oil pressure sensor would do both.
There's a pretty good reason to have both, I agree with the above that you should check your oil frequently anyway, but in certain circumstances you can have a sudden loss, and also there are a shocking number of people on the road today who don't have the first clue how to check their oil.

An oil level sensor will tell you that your oil is low usually while it is still well above the oil pickup, so your oil pressure will not drop before you are notified.

Running an engine with oil a little bit low is unlikely to do any major damage, but running an engine with oil below the pickup will ruin it in no time at all!

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
There's a pretty good reason to have both, I agree with the above that you should check your oil frequently anyway, but in certain circumstances you can have a sudden loss, and also there are a shocking number of people on the road today who don't have the first clue how to check their oil.

An oil level sensor will tell you that your oil is low usually while it is still well above the oil pickup, so your oil pressure will not drop before you are notified.

Running an engine with oil a little bit low is unlikely to do any major damage, but running an engine with oil below the pickup will ruin it in no time at all!
Also the oil level sensor is measuring the oil level when the car is actually running so you will know straight away if it's too low rather than checking it at your next fill up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.